2 Man Gimbal Setup

Racerx1962

I need advice about how to set up my camera gimbal for dedicated use by a dedicated operator. I'll be using a Sony NEX6, GHT 3 axis gimbal with the Photobotic controller on a 800mm quad w/ KDE 4014 380kv motors, 17.55 props and a SuperX FC. If I understand it, I will need the following for the gimbal operator:
1. Separate TX and RX
2. HDMI converter
3. Video TX and RX
4. Monitor

For now, I don't need to transmit in HD; however, the gimbal operator will need to see what the camera sees so as to properly frame the subject matter. Through my research, I haven't been able to find a reliable HDMI converter for the Sony NEX6. Would it be better to just attach a small security camera to the gimbal or is there a better way? Although not an absolute requirement, it would be ideal to have a remote trigger also.

Other considerations:
1. Pilot will be flying LOS
2. Is 5.8 my best bet?

Thanks for any input.

kloner

Aerial DP
the white HDMI2AV work great, looks better if you mod them down to a heat shrunk pcb but they still work in full form factor, just lame plugs and a huge case. I take it down to a raw pcb, solder on one servo wire to the appropriate pinout and it plugs into an immersion vtx that powers it and transmits transmits the signal. Don't forget a hyperthin hdmi cable that fits the cam as well

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
the white HDMI2AV work great, looks better if you mod them down to a heat shrunk pcb but they still work in full form factor, just lame plugs and a huge case. I take it down to a raw pcb, solder on one servo wire to the appropriate pinout and it plugs into an immersion vtx that powers it and transmits transmits the signal. Don't forget a hyperthin hdmi cable that fits the cam as well

What Kloner said... except I leave mine in the big plastic box, less failures I have found, but that's 6 of one half dozen of the other.

kloner

Aerial DP
I'm on the same 3 hdmi converters i started with 1 1/2 years ago,,, We lost one in Jersey and had to get bart to run us out some to finish a gig, but that was from too high of output from the epic.... you really want 720p or 1080i if you can out of the camera

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2048.jpg
    IMG_2048.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 175

kloner

Aerial DP
every gimbal we have is on 5.8 no matter whats on the telemetry video,,,, we run 5.8 and 2.4 depending on the rig and it's mission

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2050.jpg
    IMG_2050.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 185

Racerx1962

As for the RX and TX, do I need diversity? What brand is the best buy... Immersion? And what about antennas... Are the IB Crazy antennas worth the extra $$ over the CP antennas from Hobbyking?

Old Man

The Hobby King antennas are often crap. There's zero quality control or frequency accuracy with them. IB Crazy's products always work well. For me buying once for a little more is far more efficient and cheaper than buying two or three times and hoping for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kloner

Aerial DP
immersion is easiest, can go from 3s to 6s without a bec, has an internal 5v bec if you need it. The ib crazt Ultra Bluebeam or mad mushroom on the rx you can run the rubber duck on the tx.

SamaraMedia

every gimbal we have is on 5.8 no matter whats on the telemetry video,,,, we run 5.8 and 2.4 depending on the rig and it's mission

attachment.php

Kloner,

I'm going to be using the new Lumix LX100 on my hex with 3 axis gimbal and will be trying my first HDMI out setup. Using this photo and the one in your previous post, if I'm looking at this right, you have the HDMI2AV board (housing removed) and 5.8vtx shrink wrapped together velcroed to the bottom of your gimbal tray. The HDMI Ultrathin mini cable out of the camera into the HDMIAV2 and the signal, power and ground from the HDMI board plugged into the Immersion vtx with power being fed into the vxt from PDB or separate battery. No problem with signal interference with vtx and HDMI piggy backed?

Lastly, is that the Halo gimbal and if so how is the testing coming along?

Thanks

kloner

Aerial DP
yes to all you asked. no interference but you gotta make sure the bec isn't towards the hdmi converter.

It works alright, no gps and to the best of my knowledge isn't using any sort of external position sensor so it's halfway there.

this was un monitored gimbal control.... had a slight roll offset to start

Last edited by a moderator: