1st project check list :)

NeilM

I was just curious so in the future I have a better idea instead of hit and miss. I understand the ratio of prop size to kv. In the future If (when) I decide to make a beafier model to carry a 1kg payload then I would like a better understanding.

I understand unless one tries for the first time then one has a hard tim to relate. its like over a year ago I got into astronomy and the choice of filters lensess etc is very overwhelming, so after buying a few lenses and filters to try them out i got the just as to how to expand from their. Guess im doing this all over again venturing in a new venture :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jbrumberg

Neil- The Turnigy D2830-11 1000kv motors are pretty standard, they work, and they are cheap. I assure you that you will bend a shaft or two during the early stages of your learning curve as Scott and I are learning. They will also give you a baseline from which to expand. Within a given frame size one may also be limited to the size of motors they can use by the way those frames have their motor mount holes drilled out. I am limited to two base drill distance size dimensions. I forget the dimensions, but it really does not matter for this thread. And to make it even more confusing is how motors are numbered. There are probably 8 different "standards" by which different manufactures label their motors using can size (L/W), winding numbers, magnets, owner's wife's middle initial :strawberry:, you name it. It gets confusing.

NeilM

Ok thanks!
Best thing is to be patient and see till I get to build it.
I bought an extra motor, frame, reciever and ESC, just in case lol.
Yup ive looked up allot of sites to try and figure out the types of motors.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Also, you can do some searching (which I'm sure you have already) specifically looking at similar builds, and what works for those. Most frames have a suggested motor(s) size. Then you can play around with slightly bigger/smaller, and various props etc.

But nothing will be more informative than building it from scratch...

NeilM

yup, get my feet wet :)

Ive grabed 5gigs of video from youtube since I decided to get back into RC specific to quads. :)

Thanks!

jbrumberg

"But nothing will be more informative than building it from scratch..."

I agree, and with some of those builder guides one finds on the internet there are still things in the build the builder must do on their own without the guide's guidance. And I saw a couple of examples within a few build guides that just were not correct. Not serious stuff, but not correct which may have been a function of the age of the guide or the builder's lack of knowledge at the time of the guide's development. It is best to stay current with your build through involvement in sites and support from other builders.

NeilM

I agree..
Thats why i look as many as possible and average it out, I have to come up with my own version of extentions for the landing points so the batteries and cam have room on the bottom, somthing with springs maybe , I also thought, well what about putting a parachute on their just in case, that can be triggred with the toggle on ch5 LOL