1st project check list :)

NeilM

HI!
So this is my first RC build and hoping for feedback to make sure I have not made any mistakes.
Thanks!

DX5e transmitter- have
Turnigy 3cell 3000ma 20-30c Lipo 2X- have -Plan on using both at once.

1X-Q450 V3 Glass Fiber Quadcopter Frame 450mm

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...opter_Frame_450mm_Integrated_PCB_Version.html

4X-Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 2826-980kv

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...SK3_2826_980kv_Brushless_Outrunner_Motor.html

4X-TURNIGY Plush 30amp Speed Controller

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__2164__TURNIGY_Plush_30amp_Speed_Controller.html

1X-KK2.0 Multi-rotor LCD Flight Control Board

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...2_0_Multi_rotor_LCD_Flight_Control_Board.html

1X-OrangeRx R615 Spektrum/JR DSM2 Compatible 6Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...m_JR_DSM2_Compatible_6Ch_2_4Ghz_Receiver.html

1X-10x4.5 SF Props 2pc Standard Rotation/2 pc RH Rotation

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Rotation_2_pc_RH_Rotation_Flouro_Yellow_.html

Twist Ties, Heat shrink tubing, 3.5mm gold connectors, B&R wire 16awg (batter extensions).

NeilM

Ho do i interperate this?
it does not take in account theirs r4 motors or 2 Lipo'sView attachment 15984

Attachments

• eCalc.jpg
    eCalc.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 179

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
You need to change the number of rotors to 4. Put your frame weight in where it now says 850. Next to that change the drop down to "without drive" since you have all the info to plug in (it will calculate accurately based on components).

In the battery section, change configuration to 2P for 2 batteries.

That at should get you closer.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It has a red section to tell you that the choices don't work well enough. You need to start changing things in there that will make the red go away, and maximize your flight time while being most efficient.

See where the red sentence says "power?" Then you look up And see the box that is highlighted red. That is the issue for your set up. The motor can not handle the wattage that you are requiring if it. It's a sophisticated dance between the battery, motors and props to get a happy balance.

NeilM

So by reducing the prop size to 8" its in the black however it says it too heavy now, or am I reading that wrong.
View attachment 15994

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2014-02-01 08:45:29.jpg
    Screenshot from 2014-02-01 08:45:29.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 249

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Well, the frame weight is listed as 1200 grams which is probably 3 times the actual weight. Which frame are you using???

NeilM

Q450, I calculated from what the site says each weigh. or is it asking only frame weight ?

Q450 -270g
ESC -100g total
motors-180g total
Lipos -506g totalView attachment 15995

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2014-02-01 10:02:16.jpg
    Screenshot from 2014-02-01 10:02:16.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 280
Last edited by a moderator:

jbrumberg

Total weight of the entire setup- breakout cable, servo wires, tape, zip ties, FC, all the neat stuff everyone like myself adds. Do not forget to include the estimated weight of the foam pipe insulation that you will probably be using for you landing skids to cushion landings. These quads can get heavy real quickly. My AUW target goal was 1400 grams. My initial weight was 1450 grams and my final total AUW is 1500 grams.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
If you are plugging in all the components separately - then you choose "without drive" and in the "model weight" you input the weight of the frame. The program calculates the weight of all the motors, ESCs and batteries (you will see this weight listed on the right of each area). Or you can do it the way Jay mentoned - and choose "including drive" which means it will ignore the individual components and calculate based on your total AUW guess.

With the setup the way you have it in the photo above, it shows no red (good), decent flight times (good) but very low payload (not so good). Continue to mess with it until you have the best possible flight time, hover throttle around 50% and the greatest payload. That payload will be for all the extras - like camera, Rx, foam insulation, tidbits etc.

make sense???

If you plug in the Turnigy D2830-11 1000kv motors, with 10x4.5 props, that gets you up to 891 payload, only 43% throttle to hover, and about 24 minutes flight time (obviously that's high because it doesn't take into account gunning the throttle.

Last edited by a moderator:

NeilM

If I choose inc. drive (1200gms) I get;
For minimal maneuverability you need Throttle of less than 80%

NeilM

even with 1400gm weight ( I do require 8oz payload) I get the same throttle message and times of;
Flight Time:13.5min
Mixed Flight Time:13.0min
Hover Flight Time: 15.1min

Hover
Throttle (linear): 94%

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Are you still calculating using the old motor??? This is what I get when I plug in your numbers with the Turnigy 2830 drive, but using your number of 1200 gram weight.

When you say you need 8oz payload, what are you talking about hauling. That's not very heavy at all.

NeilM

My pocket can is 8oz so i can run 720 video.

Well that works, back to 10" props and D2830-11 1000kv motors (backorder at HK :( )
That headache gone :)

Thanks!

NeilM

I hope so, thanks!

By the way, how does one find a proper motor?
I tried 5 dif ones 800-1200 versions and couldnt get a "Match" or is this question like "How long is a piece of string" ?

:)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking? You mean in eCalc? Unfortunately they dont list every motor (there are SO many!). The ones I plugged in are the ones I have been using - Turnigy D2830-11 1000kv. They seemed to give you pretty decent stats, and are cheap enough to grab a couple extra for eventual crashes. If you are looking for something fancier/more expensive, then use the stats that list using the Turnigy motor, and search other options that have roughly the same specs (watt capacity, thrust, weight etc). This info can be difficult to find for many motors so you need to dig. Some companies have them listed plainly on every sale page sometimes they have almost no info at all.