14MZ Failsafe set-up

Jrocks

Hello all,

This is more of a radio question but being set-up on an S800 so hoping I'm posting this in the right place. Tried searching for the topic and didn't get anything.

I'm a new S800 owner and have my 3-way mode switch dialed in but can't figure out how to set-up the failsafe switch. I'm assuming I have to assign failsafe to a different switch and mix them? So I have the ability to switch on Failsafe separately? If so, can't figure out how to do this.

Also, this might be a silly question but for your throttle gimbal do you start (motor idle before take-off) at mid stick or stick at the bottom? I'm a helicopter flyer and switched the model type to "Airplane" to avoid the Heli mixing problems but then it hit me that I wasn't sure if I should mechanically change my throttle gimbal to the "Airplane" verison.

Any help from fellow 14MZ/S800 users is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

DesJardins

Not sure on the 14, but I believe the mixing would match my 8FGs if you want to check out my vids under my YouTube channel below

vislaw

There are different approaches to setting the Failsafe with the WKM and it would probably be worth it to tell us which radio you are using. I recently switched to a Spektrum DX18 so I could assign channels to the Zenmuse controller. I assigned the mode channel to a 3-way switch as you've done and then mixed a two way switch that when active it activates the Failsafe (adjusting it in the Assistant software until the GPS/ATT/MAN slider moves into the blue Failsafe area). Then, with the Spektrum you can have it remember that switch setting as a Failsafe. Thus, if the signal is lost the receiver goes into failsafe AND I have a switch that I can manually move into Failsafe at any time to test it.

Jrocks

Thanks DesJardins for the info...great YouTube vids. Unfortunately, the 14MZ has different menus. I think I have it almost set from using them same logic and similar menus from your vid. Some questions for anyone flying a Futaba 14MZ with an S800:
1) I set-up the master/slave switch set-up by having both operating the gear channel (Gear/Gear as per DesJardisn vid) The 3 position switch works and is accurately pointing to GPS/ATT/Manual. The two position switch, when switch on goes to Failsafe in two of the positions (ATT and Manual) but if switched when in GPS the pointer on the software screen goes off the screen. The blue light on the S800 flashes blue as if in Failsafe but it's showing off the scale on the software scree...is this ok?
2) Might be a silly question but better safe then sorry....does throttle stick begin at bottom of throw? Just like a helicopter throttle? The throttle shows green when at mid stick.

Thanks all for all the help!

DesJardins

Yes, in the assistant mid stick will show green for throttle, also when you "write" that section keep ALL sticks in the center including the throttle.

As far as the failsafe going "off the screen"'vs. hitting the failsafe indicator you technically should be ok but using the gear/gear mix is what gets the failsafe to reach the actual indicator bars. Did you use similar options by adjusting either mix position 1 or 3 (which ever affects GPS both positive and negative to see if it moves the failsafe position) like this pic of my mix...

E4199AC7-57EB-49D9-9A24-0C0BA8FDC161-2642-00000180232B7E34.jpg

Thanks also, I'm glad the vids helped a bit even though you're using the 14

Last edited by a moderator: