14 Stiches later, I think something is wrong with my DJI 450 Naza...

leemann

why are you turning off the radio when its flying? thats just asking for trouble. :O

Not actually flying, just testing without props

Also I seem to be able to arm the motors in ATTI mode even when there is a rapid orange flashing light on the NAZA in manual, as soon as I switch to ATTI I can then arm the motors and it goes to a single (or very quick double orange LED)

When trimming on the DX8 how far should it be in. Mine are right now at 90% and 89% to get to both manual and atti modes, not trimmed enough?

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
i dont think its in the sky

flashing red light is low voltage/other errors according to the manual

leemann

I think I may have figured part of it out. When trimming the gear channel at 90% it seems to be hovering between failsafe and manual mode, when I moved it to 89% or lower it seems to be ok on each startup. Does that sound right? Does that partly explain the randomness of it? If it was on a fine line between the two modes with the 2 setting switch? Not that there may not be other factors at play though?

kloner

Aerial DP
yea, it could, but it should be an orange flashing light

is there any errors flashing in the naza assistant when you plug it in and turn it all on?

While your in there, count how many clicks the manual and atti stays on and go back half as many clicks, that'll put ya in the middle

is your rx or sats showing failsafe when you shut the radio off? do you wait for the radio to power down before turning back on?

leemann

yea, it could, but it should be an orange flashing light

is there any errors flashing in the naza assistant when you plug it in and turn it all on?

While your in there, count how many clicks the manual and atti stays on and go back half as many clicks, that'll put ya in the middle

is your rx or sats showing failsafe when you shut the radio off? do you wait for the radio to power down before turning back on?

Showing no other errors, just might need to program the NAZA failsafe to be sure, can you run that by me again? I should be getting a NAZA orange flashing LED when the transmitter is switched off (which I'm not). How many clicks inside of each mode should I be, because I think that 90% wasn't enough to keep it in manual and out of failsafe. So is 89% enough or should I go in more to each mode just to be safe? Like 87 or 85% or does that effect in negatively somehow?

kloner

Aerial DP
Plug everything into naza assistant, goto the calibration screen. make your failsafe come on and move the throttle to over 10%, i use 40% and have hit it alot, never lost anything.......

shut it all down. put the bind plug into the ar8000, boot it up, should blink. now remove the bind plug, should still be blinking, now with the tx in failsafe like we just had it, and with the throttle on less than half, but definately moved up, turn on your tx with the bind button depressed. This makes it failsafe right, without doing that, it'll never work. it is the only way to enable it. Afterwards, put it back on assistant and make sure when you turn off the tx, the failsafe light comes on your pc screen as in not A, not M, FAILSAFE is blue

kloner

Aerial DP
after you've seen that shutting it off makes failsafe kick in naza, make sure to go back over your gear channel and make that subtrim to right in the middle of arming each mode like you noted, go more than one click in though. mine stays there i think was 5 clicks as your trimming through, if is the case, back up 2-3 clicks and call it a day. Theres a part in radios called potis, it is what makes center, center. as they get dirty and worn, then don't hold the exact middle as well, some just never do from the start. You'll see the bars flutter in assistants calibration screen

is the naza solid mounted yet?

i still don't like the dx8 and at least not checking in about it with a phone call or email. they may tell you to cease all use immediately to they'll tell you it's fine, better luck next time. but at least you actualy checked into it. reading that page was just the end, there was alot of problems with that thing with a similar MO

are you in the states or abroad?

Jake Bullit

Fly,crash,glue,repeat!
Ouch!been there got the blood stainer t-shirt.Hope you soon heal.
View attachment 4242View attachment 4243

Just posting these to remind everyone to be careful.

On your quad problems ,I presume you have checked the TX batteries are ok?

Attachments

• IMG_20111017_135809.jpg
    IMG_20111017_135809.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_20120117_182822.jpg
    IMG_20120117_182822.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 299

jhardway

yep those those copter, in the night time i think they go to ninja school. I stuck my hand in to check something, took a hit did not think much about it, until a few minutes later when I looked down to see my finger looking like hamburger meat. There were five slices and with some depth in the gashes.

I am telling you these things are like ninja's, they will hit you and you will not even feel it!!!!

good rescue by the way,

ya I am on the same side as jake what was your transmitter battery like, at idle they do not emmite much and you would not see a draw on the battery, then you are flying the draw becomes more and you may see it go into a fail safe mode.

Or like you said in the set up if you are right on the cuff, that is not a good place to sit. I have seen other posting with that problem and the fix was the tuning of the mode. As some in this post said, when you are setting if up, when the first time your voltage hits the mode (like att) count the number of clicks it takes for it do drop out, then roll you settings backwards the number of clicks divided by (back off #of clicks/2).

Jack

leemann

I cant seem to setup the failsafe, when I turn off the Dx8 no failsafe gets engaged. I followed the steps listed but my DX8 will not allow startup with throttle stick on (was trying to setup around 40% throttle) please advise. I also moved the travel on the gear channel in to the middle of both A and M to be safe.

Waiheke

1.Turn off throttle alarm on Tx.
2.Setup Failsafe.
3.Reset throttle alarm.

leemann

Done, done and done! Thanks! I set failsafe to around 40% throttle as recommended. Is that the best value for a 450 and a GoPro? Also has a 3900mah TP Battery on it. Thanks for all your help guys! Still no props back on it yet, have to tighten everything down and try with another DX8 radio.

kloner

Aerial DP
you have to go into the system menu and turn off the throttle alarm. mines under "warnings" on jr..... once that's off, it'll let you turn it on with throttle on, only way you can do it

Also make sure the blue failsafe is lit, your gonna have to screw up your gear endpoints to do it. on mine, i hold the 2 way switch half way so it makes failsafe show in assistant then bind with some throttle

it is also important to do the bind plug, turn on, remove bind plug, then bind

leemann

Perfect! Got it! Have mine around 40% is that too high for a gopro and battery only on a 450? I don't want it to fly away once engaging failsafe like before...

Waiheke

It does not matter what the value is as long it is above the 10% cutoff value and less than 50%.
When in failsafe the Naza takes over control of the throttle so that Tx throttle position has no effect.

Thinking about it, may be this is what happened to you.
Naza went to failsafe and ramped up the throttle to where it it is required to start the gentle descent.

leemann

Great I will give it some more test with props off and a new Dx8 and let you know how it goes. Also cleaned up the 450 deck and tapped everything down solid.

Waiheke

When you are using trim to set ATTI and MANUAL make sure you go right through the blue box and count the number of clicks while the box is blue.
To find the range/length of the blue box in clicks then set so is middle of this range.
I notice on mine that the blue does not light up untill i am well inside the box marked ATTI and turns off on left hand edge, then i went back half way.
When in Tx failsafe (Turn Offf Tx) the indicator shows just on the edge of the ATTI box but not near where the "blue" is turned on, but is definatly in failsafe.

kloner

Aerial DP
his main problem with it reving is from a flight controller on velcro. You can't do that. it'd be better bolted to the floor g10 to circuit bord than wiggling around. Even on gyro tape when i land a little hard does a slight rev.

Sounds good, now go run some packs through it without props and see if it jumps in and out of failsafe

mbsteed

aerial video centric
Sorry I am coming late to this but I read your experience and wondered if you didn't accidentally brush the throttle as you were trying to disconnect the battery or get control of the out of control ship. I did that once (yes and cut some figures) and at first I thought it was the ship but then noticed the throttle stick was at mid stick and realized I hadn't even noticed that I brushed the throttle. I know this is not the source of the problem but it might explain the sudden burst of power just as you were reaching for it.