14 Stiches later, I think something is wrong with my DJI 450 Naza...

leemann

View attachment 4212View attachment 4213View attachment 4214View attachment 4215View attachment 4216View attachment 4217View attachment 4218View attachment 4219View attachment 4220
Its me again. Interesting day, Tested out my 450 Naza with Spektrum DX8 ans AR8000 this morning. Placed the satellite out on the left rear boom as suggested to rule out signal loss from the DX8 and the RX. Started the flight all seemed better, then after about 3 min I start to see an orange LED on the Naza (while in manual flight) meaning TX signal loss. Bring the 450 down and look at the satellite and AR8000 and they are still lit with no blinking light (would indicate previos signal loss). So I take it up again only about 2 feet off the ground and the orange LED on the Naza blinks faster now, still able to control it just starting to get small "glitches" in the 450 but still responding to inputs from the DX8. I then bring down to land. Right when I land the "glitching" really starts to pickup, with the motors speeding up and slowing down fast. I try to shutdown the motors at this point but no response. The 450 then speeds up and starts to try and lift off. I reach for it to unplug the battery to prevent it from flying away uncontrolled and just then almost full power bust and cuts my hands to bits. I struggle with gett the battery pulled for a few seconds (with my hands covered in blood by this time. Also tried shutting down the motors on the DX8 in this time to no use. Anyways long story short I have no idea what the problem is and this has happened on a few flights now. Any ideas? Defective parts or just me being stupid? Your thoughts would be great.

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 381
  • photo (7).JPG
    photo (7).JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 433
  • photo (8).JPG
    photo (8).JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 353
  • photo (9).JPG
    photo (9).JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 399
  • photo (10).JPG
    photo (10).JPG
    40 KB · Views: 361
  • photo (11).JPG
    photo (11).JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 361
  • photo (12).JPG
    photo (12).JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 329
  • photo (13).JPG
    photo (13).JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 321
  • photo (14).JPG
    photo (14).JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 294

Pete80

Did you set your failsafe up properly? (Forgive me if this has already been talked about) :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

kloner

Aerial DP
contact horizon, i think your radio is old and needs to be looked at, especialy now. dx8 came out a year ago, when they did, i had 3 friends preorder them. All three started loosing full control of there models to the point they sold em and bought different gear. If you didnt get this thing from horizon directly in the last few months, it needs to go to them.

Sorry to see it, but never try to stop the model, you can replace them, not your digits.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
wow leeman, thanks for posting pictures! i'm as lazy as anyone else sometimes and the photos remind us that accidents do happen and our props are lethal!!

sorry I can't help as I"m not a DJI guy. DX8's have had their share of issues so sending it back for a check-up is never a bad idea.

leemann

My DX8 starts with an HC and doesn't appear to be in the official recall. Also the satellite and AR8000 had solid orange lights on them indicating that the never did actually have a loss of connection wit the DX8...

Efliernz

Pete
Beautifully documented! Photos first... repairs second. A true modeler :black_eyed:

I hope you recover soon :)

Pete

Dewster

This is why you'll never see these craft on store shelves. Man... I hope you get better soon. You must be a trooper to save your craft while getting cut in the process.

Pete80

They are still alot more safe than a 700 series heli... you are not a guitar player for a living are you?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Tahoe Ed

Wow, I am so sorry for your pain. What were your battery monitor settings? Is it possible that it was going into failsafe based on the monitor settings which would vary under load. Just postulating here but I would not like to see anyone suffer like you have.

sotomatic

Mad Scientist
Hey man that's a nasty cut. Sorry for that. Looks like no flying for a while. In the meantime I would say you should probably get in touch with DJI. They are actually really good about customer support. I'm sure they would be up to check you Naza or at least offer some suggestions.

nisouck

Probably it is not a signal lost but some problem "well know" about the DX8.

I thing you have to check your soft revision and the building date of the transmitter to see if they are not
into the wrong place.

Take a look into DX8 forum for DX8 failures.

DennyR

FWIW DJI recommend that you do not touch the model for 5 sec. when you switch it on. that really means you should have a switch, rather than just a plug. If the initial calibration goes wrong then that can lead to some unusual behavior during T/O.

leemann

So you think it might be something to do with the DX8 even though it isn't in the recall? I have flow over 300 flights with the Blade mqx without any apparent issue.

kloner

Aerial DP
the big hint it's the dx8 is the total loss of control and no blinking rx's like you saw, that's the exact problem,,,, it doesn't loose signal, it just screws up and crashes your rc

if you haven't contacted horizon and told them about this and what your using, you have no idea if it's in the recal or not. Theres been 3 where you had to send them in within a year. it's been well documented, search places like rcgroups about it if your afraid of horizon.... in case you don't know, that's who will do the repairs, there the spektrum frontman. if you initiate it through the spektrum site, it takes forever, there site emails the request to horizon that then you wait for a horizon employee to put it into there system. just use horizons return process

leemann

I did trim on the DX8 to get te different modes including failsafe, but how else do I config what failsafe does after it is engaged?

PS
A frame grab from the onboard GoPro recording video the whole flight including when my fingers got cut to bits, resulting in 14 stitches, may post the video later on...
View attachment 4231

Attachments

• NAZA.jpg
    NAZA.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 253
Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
it's in how you bind the rx/tx,,,, you want failsafe engaged and you want over 10% throttle, you see it engage in assistant when you shut off your radio while it's plugged in and looking at the calibration screen

With spektrum, you gotta put the bind plug in, turn on the rx, pull the bind plug out, then bind so it programs more than just the throttle failsafe

I would take the props off this thing till i could walk around the yard with it on the ground and not blink like your seeing,,,, like 3 packs in a row. something is dangerously wrong with your setup

You should post pics of how everything is installed, noticed the esc's are just hanging by there wires? whats the rest look like?

leemann

Attachments

• photo (15).JPG
    photo (15).JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 202
  • photo (16).JPG
    photo (16).JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 327
  • photo (17).JPG
    photo (17).JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 218
  • photo (18).JPG
    photo (18).JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 252
  • photo (19).JPG
    photo (19).JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 222
  • photo (20).JPG
    photo (20).JPG
    125 KB · Views: 210

kloner

Aerial DP
think i see a major problem, what is holding down the naza?

the ar8000 too, why isn't the antenna wire sticking out? what is it touching inside?

The led module shouldn't be resting against any other electronics. put it out on an arm like your sat was, on top, give it it's own arm