$125 Tarot ZYX-M Flight Control - Had to try it.

WildWillie

Build, Fly, Crash, Cry, Hide it from your wife.
Great news all my new friends on MRF. I have just completed the maiden flight on my new quad with this great flight controller. :D This quad and FC combo is the smoothest multirotor that I have ever flown. I have a slight pitch forwards on take off if I launch real slow, but If I power up quickly it does not seem to pitch as much. It hovers nice in attitude mode. The best news is that I landed with all parts intact. I still need help in programing my Turnigy 9XR raido to this controller any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Mojave

... I still need help in programing my Turnigy 9XR raido to this controller any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

For ideas of programming don't forget to search the forum here - learn how to do advanced searches; MRF has a wealth of knowledge. Also don't forget to search YouTube for videos.

WildWillie

For ideas of programming don't forget to search the forum here - learn how to do advanced searches; MRF has a wealth of knowledge. Also don't forget to search YouTube for videos.
Thanks I will try to search for the information here.

roryhinds

I must have a faulty unit as I'm unable to calibrate the compass and start the motors.
This is really frustrating and I wish they had better QC

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I must have a faulty unit as I'm unable to calibrate the compass and start the motors.
This is really frustrating and I wish they had better QC

I agree but this makes purchasing a unit from a known dealer like @GotHeliRC more valuable. If the unit is bad they are there to support you!

GotHeliRC

http://gothelirc.com
SleepyC, have you got to GPS calibration yet? Or could you ask your friend who has successfully flown it if the GPS calibration is identical to Naza?

Unfortunately I got no time to try this yet and I'm blind on this issue.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Yes, I have flown mine. The calibration is flip GPS/Atti switch 6 times. Light goes green. Spin 720 with unit horizontal light goes blue I think and then spin 720 with nose pointed down light flashes done. Mine is flying very well. Just fine tuning gains! Also I sent the bad unit back yesterday, you guys should have it on Thursday. (note: gothelirc did not sell me the bad unit, I bought it from China, they just helped me out so we could get some test flights in)

GotHeliRC

http://gothelirc.com
720degrees? so two full rotation per each plane? That might be the problem RoryHinds, from your email you said you did 360 +180.

Pumpkinguy

I gotta say, tarot makes some good shite at very good prices. I think they have established themselves to the point where they can use the economy of scale and produce in large quantities at lower costs.

I think this would be in direct competition with the minix based on price. I wonder how the 2 compare.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Went in the air today for 1st time. Used their gain suggestions for a quad and it was a bit jittery on my quad with KDE 3520. Turned em down 20% and it was better. Left ati gains alone. Will bump em up and try again.

I too have had arming problems. I've done multiple radio calibrations. It is working now, but who knows if I could start over and get it. I had to do another acceleration setup, which was my 2nd time. Gyro was fine.

I did reload defaults and started over.

Couple things I have found or suspect.

1. The update flash doesn't always seem to take. I may be doing it too often or too fast, not sure which, but I'm double checking by shutting it down and and relaunching both fc and app to check. I catch it not taking about 50% of the time. Slower I go, the better it does.
2. I sometimes have to disconnect/reconnect the power as I get no radio signal light (green flashing lights) sometimes. This is on a quad that I used for testing FC's and have have many tests and flights, so I'm 99.99% sure that it's a Tarot issue and nothing else.
3. Never mind, got SBus working....
4. Flying in ATTI mode, I originally didn't get airborn till I was about 80% throttle and then it was real jumpy. I've been playing with just the throttle gains, as the others are fine. I've gotten it to hover at 50% in atti mode, but on acceleration or de-acceleration, it surges. 2-3 times as I move the throttle up or down. This can be sudden throttle or a slow ramped up or down. Still trying to figure that one out. After the inital 2-3 little surges, it is fine, but then the throttle usually isn't changing position.

Words of caution. This is the 1st time (for me) out of about 10-12 different first flights that I have done this. But I attached a 20ft rope on the bottom as the throttle was kind of goofy on the bench test. Remember, this is the first FC from tarot and they have no history and the Chinese are not much in the tech support. I wouldn't put a lot of money in the air with this FC until it's been out there for 6-12 months with a decent flight record. If your smart, you will let other dummies like me spend our money and do the testing.... I have found in the couple Tarot products I've used, they go minimum as to what they need. My retracts work, but are not real robust. My x6 has to much flex for the 3520 KDE's and a large dslr camera. Their plates are ultra thin compared to what I usually use and much larger in diameter.

Anyway, go slow and be careful.
Any body have any suggestion on the surging issue on my throttle? Always get a surge, but the bigger the throttle movement, the bigger the initial surge on elevation.

Last edited by a moderator:

WildWillie

I flew twice to day. I am using the stock gains for the Tarot FY450 but I am thinking about using the settings for the x4 450 and see how they work. While flying on my second battery my quad went into RTH all by itself. At first I thought it was going to be a fly away, but it leveled off at about 20 meters and slowly returned to its launch spot missing it by only a foot. Now if I can learn to land as smooth it did on its own I would be a happy camper. I checked the battery and the voltage was 10.2v. I was using a 2650 3s battery and I had flown for about 7 or 8 minutes. After this flight I remover the FC and calibrated the accelerometers and gyros then I remounted the FC. I will see how it works on Friday.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
4 more flights today, I dropped my gains by 10 points and it's locked it.
Stupid smooth. I'm not 100% confident yet but it's pretty dar good!
Even descending it was rock solid. And I'm flying a pretty big machine with it.
The rig on the bottom of the shot!
View attachment 25318

Attachments

• IMG_3162.JPG
    IMG_3162.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 417

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
I have to say that I was impressed with the FC performance. Seems a lot like SuperX..... kind of smooth and graceful, sliding to a stop..... no wacky nervous GPS ... fighting you....
Compared to Naza or WKM, I would say WAY smoother.....
Not quite an A2....
Now it needs more time in the air to test it's longevity & durability.....
Concerns..... Longevity, internal component quality & Service if needed....
DJI has US support.... SuperX... no so much..... Tarot.... I really don't know....
Great FC for a fun flyer.... a crash will not break the bank....
Let's see how time proves out this FC....
By the way.... SleepyC's Quads seem to be reproducing like RABBITS!!!! The darn things are everywhere... He needs to invest in a cargo van!!!!

WildWillie

Does the arrow on the GPS puck have to point the same direction as the arrow on the FC case or the direction of the nose of the airframe? Here is a youtube video from Tarot saying to match the FC arrow, is this correct?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Does the arrow on the GPS puck have to point the same direction as the arrow on the FC case or the direction of the nose of the airframe? Here is a youtube video from Tarot saying to match the FC arrow, is this correct?

It should for a simple install and the GPS arrow should ALWAYS point forward, but if I remember correctly in the GUI you can tell the unit which was the IMU is pointing.