10 x 5 Graupners onto DJI550

I have just had my Graupners delivered and want to get them onto my 550. I have read a few comments about reaming the props to get them on but the ones I have slip straight on. The original props have a keyway on them, the Graups don't. Will that make a difference and is it as simple as adding a washer under the prop so the nut locks on more that the raised lettering on the new props? Thanks

Dreamweaver

Washer on top is the more preferred location as some have had balancing issues with it on the bottom...however i tried both ways and got vibes either way as my hardware store washers were not hubcentric.

In the end i beveled out the inside of the DJI nuts to go over the motor shaft shoulder.

Also using a sparkplug puller to hold the motors whilst i tighten the nut to tight ;)

~Mike

Thanks Dreamweaver, nice idea with the beveling, interested how you did it without wrecking the threads? Sparkplug puller is a top idea too :)

Dreamweaver

Thanks Dreamweaver, nice idea with the beveling, interested how you did it without wrecking the threads? Sparkplug puller is a top idea too :)

03-007-030-01.jpg

Get the least angle you can...45* is good.

Contersinker + cordless drill + safety glasses...just go bit my bit the DJI nuts are aluminum so it's easy work...don't go too much...just enough.

To check hold the prop and nut up together and get it so it's just bigger than the prop hole diameter.

~Mike

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
far easier to go to the hardware store and buy some m6 nuts and some washers.

Problem there mailman is that there heavy as hell and as DW says they can throw out balancing out a mile as they are not guaranteed that the holes in the washers are bang on. I dont know the DJI motors and how their props fit. On the Axi and TorxPower ones I use come with chamfered aluminium washers that are a very snug fit over the prop shafts so everything is matched.

Dave

mailman35

ive been using m6's as well as m5's on different prop adaptors and have had next to no problem, both using a washer and not. when i had my dji motors i used a split washer, and didnt have any ill effectss outside of the typical crap with the dji frames.

Totality

Is the washer 100% required? I seem to be able to tighten mine without one, but then again I haven't flown it outside yet!

Dreamweaver

Is the washer 100% required? I seem to be able to tighten mine without one, but then again I haven't flown it outside yet!

Your call.

A couple of people claim to be flying like this and have had no issues....but to me it looks like the nut is resting on the crushed lettering.

If this was to slip the prop would loose all drive and anything other that a hex would drop like a rock.

Here a pic of the bevel as discussed above...others have used a drill.

photobucket-2413-1344309237674.jpg