I wish I had known.... F550 purchase, build and first flights..

mmurfitt

I've been thinking about posting this for a while and have decided to put pen to paper (so to speak) and note down some of the things I know now which I'd have loved to have known before embarking on my new project of buying, building and flying a DJI F550 for the very first time.
This is meant to be a working 'document' as I'll add to it as my experience grows, if other people reading this have suggestions then please comment, lets share the love! :)

Experience is great, and unless it's shared then it's wasted, so here are some of things I've learned the hard way and some of the things I've learned the easy way. Below are some thoughts and suggestions for anyone who's looking to get in to multirotors regardless of whether it's business or pleasure.
I want to reiteriate, I'm in many ways not the best to dish out advice, and this isn't really advice, it's more the mistakes and things I've been learning over the past month or so..

Where I'm coming from:
To start with I have no RC experience, absolutely none!
When I started I didn't know any of the acronyms jargon, terminology, methodology or anything about multirotors. I didn't know my ESC from my FC, my lipo from my brushless motor.
However I didn't let this stop me...
I decided to get in to multi-rotors after watching a few videos online of some amazing footage produced by a group of guys who go under the name of 'Dedicam', all of which was recorded with an Octocopter (http://so.ee/bay). As well as that a few interesting job possibilites came my way all of which ushered me to 'ebay' some photography kit I had lying unused and buy a multirotor.
I researched, procrastinated, worried for around 4 months before deciding on a DJI F550 Flamewheel.
The motivation behind choosing a DJI F550 was I wanted something strong, easy to handle, easy(ish) to build, to be able to buy it in the UK, cheap(ish) and something I could use to create a showreel for prospective clients, the F550 came the closest to ticking each of these boxes.
Why a F550 (6 rotors) and not a F450 (4 rotors)? Well, I figured that should I lose a motor for some reason then theoretically I stand a better chance of getting it on the ground, whereas if you lose a motor when you only have four to begin with, then well, it ain't going to be a happy ending.

Buying and Build - advice and experience:
- I found this video a good introduction on what's what as far as multirotors are concerned:http://so.ee/Pwm. If you're in any way experienced then this will be a little too basic for you, however if you're getting quote confused with what's what then this video should prove helpful.
- I won't go through what I bought for the kit, just what I bought extra, or after buying the kit which I wished I'd have bought at the beginning.
For starters I bought the Graupner 10x5" props, there's enough horror stories of props snaping on this forum without me having to go in to why. I decided to go for the larger 10" after reading a thread here which recommended the larger props as being more stable and having greater lift capacity as well as the Graupner props being much stronger.

- Silly as this may sound I wish I'd ordered a jig to help me solder the deans connectors for the lipo battery terminals as well as the power terminal on the F550, this is what I bought, which unfortunately arrived after I finished all my soldering (http://so.ee/eCf)

- Get a good soldering iron, the solder kit I had was good (bought especially for the job) but the 'iron' part was rubbish, or rather the tip of the iron was rubbish, I got a new 'tip' and it transformed its effectiveness. What took me hours to solder should have taken minutes.
If you're not used to soldering, or don't have much experience then practice. It's not too hard to solder, but it does take a bit of practice to ensure it's not too messy. There's plenty of YouTube videos on good soldering technique, I found this helpful:http://so.ee/nRd

- I used this video (http://so.ee/tqr) whilst building F550, it's great for component placement as well as the correct order everything should be done.

Flying:
-I've only just started flying, literally! And the second flight (yesterday) resulted in a crash (http://so.ee/TVt) which snapped two arms and the little GPS pole (miraculously nothing else was damaged).
However, as I learn I'll update this part of the thread with some observations and experience.

If you have any experience you think others would benefit from why not add to this, lets share the love and do the community thing..

hjls3

Nice idea for a thread. +1 on the soldering jig. Must have for me. Might add that a flight simulator is also a must have. Particularly for someone with no or little RC experience. THere are several good simulators, I happen to have Real Flight and it is pretty good but I believe there are some other choices with more MR's. Real FLight has one but a ton of heli's which are pretty similar to MR.

Cudos to you for going for it sir! I applaud your enthusiasm, especially having no RC experience!

gencode

Im pretty new, although I did some park flyers. One thing I learned quick was your pretty low, less time to react and climb if things go wrong. To me personally I feel the lower you are the harder things get.
If you are a little higher, stay above tree line, then if you get real worried or nerves make you shaky you can always activate the RTH assuming you have it working.

Last edited by a moderator:

atver

Thank you for your excellent introduction for those of us just getting involved into this hobby. Your guidelines are very informative with useful information.

Great Job!
Thanks,
Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

mmurfitt

Ok, so I've got some other tips I've remembered.
Use some thread lock on all nuts, I was recommended (thankfully) to use the none permanent stuff which allows you to undo the nuts/screws at a later date with no particular issues.
It's probably a good idea to have some spare props and arms, they really don't cost very much, and if you're learning, like me, then accidents happen and it's nice to be able to repair your hexa asap and get back out there.

I'm currently having a few issues with my F550 launching when I start, which is a little tricky to handle, rather than rising majestically like I've seen on so many videos. I'm going to be playing around with the Gain settings in the NAZA Assistant, so I'll report back when I find anything out.

Phil550

I'm in the same situation - no RC experience, bought the 550 with Naza/GPS and broke the GPS pole on the 2nd flight!

As far as taking off is concerned I read on one of the forums that you need to do it quickly (up to 1 or 2 metres) in order for the gyros / accelerometers etc to start working. It works for me anyway!

Fransvh

Sorry to see you crashing your F550. But I should warn you because you made a beginners error.
NEVER EVER fly behind or above yourself, you get disorientated what can/will result in a crash.
Keep your craft in front of you all the time.

2tall

Fly Often - Fly Safe
If you crashed hard enough to break arms you may also have damaged motor bearings. Turn them each by hand and feel for any abnormal roughness. One of mine was very bad after a minor crash (not even hard enough to break an arm). I could feel the "crunch" in the motor and even see the output shaft spinning slightly out-of-round. The motor still ran and the ship seem to fly okay but I replaced the motor anyway. No point in risking damage to far more expensive items over a cheap motor.

Gump

I'm just new to flying as well. I'm going at it just a bit differently than you are. I spend a bunch of time on the sim and a LOT of time with the Blade MQX. I also spend a lot of time on here reading, reading, reading !
Thanks for posting this thread and keep up the good work.
I'd REALLY love to also see a noob section on here with a full blown list of alllllllllll the lovely acronyms spelled out. Simple things like LiPo all the way up to definitions of the 'gains' and all the fancy schmancy nicknames for the different hardware and procedures out there.

Davidhippo

Great to see you getting stuck in as well, great info.

I'm in a much similar learning curve to yourself, although I went via an Aerosim Rc simulator and a f450 Naza as my first copter (RTF from quadcopters.co.uk) I've crashed, repaired and modified this, learning a bit more each time, before building a f550 with wkm, go pro and video downlink to gain some fpv/aerial filming experience.

I would definitely recommend going down the simulator route first. Aerosim has various quad/hexa/octocopter models and useful training exercises (I'm sure some of the others do as well)

anyone attempting an f550/wkm/naza/dx8 project would benefit from this video from the pitch ***** team.

Keep up the good work!

[video]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=axp2sdH2fbA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Daxp 2sdH2fbA&gl=GB[/video]

almphoto

I think a noob section on here with a full blown list of all the acronyms spelled out would be a great idea, maybe some of the masters could start that up.

I'm just new to flying as well. I'm going at it just a bit differently than you are. I spend a bunch of time on the sim and a LOT of time with the Blade MQX. I also spend a lot of time on here reading, reading, reading !
Thanks for posting this thread and keep up the good work.
I'd REALLY love to also see a noob section on here with a full blown list of alllllllllll the lovely acronyms spelled out. Simple things like LiPo all the way up to definitions of the 'gains' and all the fancy schmancy nicknames for the different hardware and procedures out there.

Thank for the post and sharing the video Mark. I'm a few steps behind you with my 550 build. No prior RC experience here either. I plan to make my first flight in manual within the next few days.

I can control my Blade MQX pretty well (as long as I don't loose orientation) but have not mastered a coordinated turns yet (rudder and aileron simultaneously)

So far with the DJI 550 I have:
motors wired to rotate the right direction
Updated to latest NAZA Assistant and firmware and transmitter stick calibrations are done
Have not set up auto pilot settings yet
Have not set up or calibrated GPS yet. (GPS module is in place)

I have figured out which switch settings put me in MANUAL (3 red LED blinks) and I was considering attempting my first flight in manual prior to figuring out GPS.

Any advice on this first manual mode flight??? Thanks in advance!

Davidhippo

Adding to my first post, I suppose the best quick tip I could offer is the addition of LED light strips, check my avatar.... Especially when you're learning to fly.

Upon crashing and rebuilding my F450 I added them to help with orientation. They make a massive difference and never again do you have to squint to work out the orientation when your copter is off in the distance, sillhouettted against a bright sky.

Most RC places stock them, although you can get them cheaper on ebay.

I added them to my F550 build and will always add some type of LED lighting to every copter I build from now on.

Dave

mmurfitt

Sorry to see you crashing your F550. But I should warn you because you made a beginners error.
NEVER EVER fly behind or above yourself, you get disorientated what can/will result in a crash.
Keep your craft in front of you all the time.

Amen to that!
I got all turned around, still sometimes the mistakes you make are the ones which stay with you for life... :)

mmurfitt

I think a noob section on here with a full blown list of all the acronyms spelled out would be a great idea, maybe some of the masters could start that up.

I did message Bart about that possibility, but I've not heard anything back. I guess this thread will have to suffice for the time being :)

mmurfitt

Thank for the post and sharing the video Mark. I'm a few steps behind you with my 550 build. No prior RC experience here either. I plan to make my first flight in manual within the next few days.

I can control my Blade MQX pretty well (as long as I don't loose orientation) but have not mastered a coordinated turns yet (rudder and aileron simultaneously)

So far with the DJI 550 I have:
motors wired to rotate the right direction
Updated to latest NAZA Assistant and firmware and transmitter stick calibrations are done
Have not set up auto pilot settings yet
Have not set up or calibrated GPS yet. (GPS module is in place)

I have figured out which switch settings put me in MANUAL (3 red LED blinks) and I was considering attempting my first flight in manual prior to figuring out GPS.

Any advice on this first manual mode flight??? Thanks in advance!

Hey Jim,
My only rather limited advice is to keep it low, really low. I was out the other day and didn't take higher than my head (6' feet). That's not to say I had it just hovering in front of me, I sent it a ways off and back again, tried some turning around, that sort of thing, but I know had my crash happend at no more than 6 feet then there'd have been virtually no damage at all.
I know that having the hexa higher can give you more reaction time, but if anything goes wrong then you're well and truly up the creek without a paddle.
Also, the other bit of advice is fly it over long grass. I flew mine over some scrubland type of grass and it makes for a nice soft landing if things go pear-shaped.
I haven't quite figured out the whole 'Atti / Manual' mode thing yet, I've tried it a number of times, taking off in manual, flicking to Atti and continuing flying. Atti mode made my hexa far more stable. But I don't understand enough about them to know whether I have everything hooked up and programmed right.

mmurfitt

Adding to my first post, I suppose the best quick tip I could offer is the addition of LED light strips, check my avatar.... Especially when you're learning to fly.

Upon crashing and rebuilding my F450 I added them to help with orientation. They make a massive difference and never again do you have to squint to work out the orientation when your copter is off in the distance, sillhouettted against a bright sky.

Most RC places stock them, although you can get them cheaper on ebay.

I added them to my F550 build and will always add some type of LED lighting to every copter I build from now on.

Dave

I have some LED's, but I've not fitted them yet, to be honest I don't know where to draw the power from, so I've left them to one side till I figure that part out.
But I got them for exactly the reason you gave as I figured any help I can get is good help :)

mmurfitt

I've read a couple of threads here about guys losing their hexa's when flying over water..and as luck would have it I was just reading on another thread about these things called 'Waterbouys', so I just ordered a couple, here's a link to the UK site: http://www.water-buoy.com/index.php
I know that in the event of the hexa hitting and being submerged in water then the electronics are toast, but at least everything else should be ok.
BTW I ordered two as my hexa is a little over 1kg, and watching the video on the site the balloon only just raised the 1Kg weight.