XAircraft CM130-TPS gimbal

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Anyone know anything about the [h=1]XAircraft CM130-TPS Gimbal?:nevreness:[/h]
I'm seriously considering to buy one but I want to know if it's any good, are the servos any good? Can it take separate gimbal stabilization later (such as Hover fly or skyline). Can it hold a sony NEX5 or similar sized camera and can it fit on the DJI F550 frame?

Sorry for all the questions but I can't seem to find much online.

Love to hear from anyone.

Bowley

It wont carry a Nex5. It mounts the XA load hangers which clip onto the load/landing skid rails. It will take any stabilization system. dont know what the XA G50 and G20 servos are. the biggest camera it will carry is a canon S95 but with no room left for AV out lead. Its actually a gopro mount with a trigger kit instead of a gopro cage. Aeroxcraft have a mount designed for the NEX5

Last edited by a moderator:

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Thanks Bowley and OneSkidShort,

Bowley, I looked at the Aeroxcraft gimbal but was a little truned away by the price, I figure if I'm going to spend that much I might as well get a Gaui 111.
OneSkidShort, I didn't see that ad-on before looks like a pretty cheep upgrade, so this add on will allow the gimbal to take on a NEX-5 or even a G9 Camera? That's not bad for the price.

William/Will

Yes, the add on increases the width and the Nex fits fine....just that the servos don't seem to like the extra weight. I really like the xaircraft hexa frame with this gimbal if you were to use only a gopro or small point and shoot. Well made and the ease to put on and take off with the rails makes it very adaptable. For Nex5/7, not the best (unless you swap out the servos and have no intention of using a downlink).

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
OK,

This is some stuff to consider. I have the QuadFrame gimbal and I really don't like it. I'm using the Naza built in stabilization and it's okay but some times the gimbal will twitch and this drives me nuts. I was never expecting the gimbal to be great but I wasn't expecting periodic twitches. I like the idea of 1:5 gear or belt ratio because the servo can spin faster and hopefully eliminate the occasional twitch.

Bowley

Thanks Bowley and OneSkidShort,

Bowley, I looked at the Aeroxcraft gimbal but was a little truned away by the price, I figure if I'm going to spend that much I might as well get a Gaui 111.
OneSkidShort, I didn't see that ad-on before looks like a pretty cheep upgrade, so this add on will allow the gimbal to take on a NEX-5 or even a G9 Camera? That's not bad for the price.

William/Will

Bear in mind you are getting savox hi speed servo's with the Aeroxcraft, so if you add the cost of upgrading the XA servos, the price gets a little more even.
Also bear in mind that the XA is almost half the weight of the Aeroxcraft.

Bowley

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
That does sound nice, but that is 399. British Pounds right? That's $633. CND. Ouch! I think the Gui Crain is cheeper than that.

I saw this one to, don't know anything about it though. Add 75. for the servos.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Those parts are nice and thick, you won't have to worry about any flexing, that's for sure. If you're flying the xaircraft hexa, it's always nice to grab 2 of these http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet/the-2038/Xaircraft-X650-v4-v8/Detail and one of these
http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet/the-2033/Xaircraft-X650-v4-v8/Detail

you can hang alot more stuff underneath for a steadier hexa.

Well, I'll have to think about it. Maybe after a get a few more clients, I'll drop the extra cash. For now, I'll keep adjusting the Gains to smooth out my QuadFrame Gimbal.

Totality

I picked up the XAircraft gimbal the other week and fitted it. Using a GoPro Hero 2 and sometimes it gets smooth footage, but a lot of the time it twitches for no apparent reason. I'll be hovering and looking at the FPV screen and the picture will be moving as if the quad is moving about in the wind but the quad looks steady or only moving slightly. I have my Naza gimbal gains down to 40 (pitch seems OK it is just roll that appears to be moving about). Other times it seems really smooth. Is this just the Naza, or should I look at selling the CM130-TPS gimbal? Wondering if I should reduce the gimbal roll gains down from 40 to 30 but then it hardly moves so seems a bit pointless! Is this a known problem with using the Naza for a gimbal controller - ie the picture can twitch about as if the quad is being bufffeted by wind? It isn't all the time so no servo glitching which is weird.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
I was having the same problem.

I I reduced my Gains down just a little on the pitch and it smoothed out. Lower your gains bit by bit. Start with the Pitch. Going down ten seems a little high to me. Try going down form 40 to 36.

Let us know if this helps.

Bowley

I picked up the XAircraft gimbal the other week and fitted it. Using a GoPro Hero 2 and sometimes it gets smooth footage, but a lot of the time it twitches for no apparent reason. I'll be hovering and looking at the FPV screen and the picture will be moving as if the quad is moving about in the wind but the quad looks steady or only moving slightly. I have my Naza gimbal gains down to 40 (pitch seems OK it is just roll that appears to be moving about). Other times it seems really smooth. Is this just the Naza, or should I look at selling the CM130-TPS gimbal? Wondering if I should reduce the gimbal roll gains down from 40 to 30 but then it hardly moves so seems a bit pointless! Is this a known problem with using the Naza for a gimbal controller - ie the picture can twitch about as if the quad is being bufffeted by wind? It isn't all the time so no servo glitching which is weird.

Ditto, my gimbal became a smooth tilt and roll dampener rather than a stabilizer. I firmly believe this is more to do with the Naza as a gimbal controller than any failing in the gimbal, Its only doing whats its told to do after all. OK fair enough the XA servos are not the best but the gimbal is petty tight, not really any slop.
I have had the best results out of the gimbal using the XA FC1212 AHRS after a roll servo upgrade, actually.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Ditto, my gimbal became a smooth tilt and roll dampener rather than a stabilizer. I firmly believe this is more to do with the Naza as a gimbal controller than any failing in the gimbal, Its only doing whats its told to do after all. OK fair enough the XA servos are not the best but the gimbal is petty tight, not really any slop.
I have had the best results out of the gimbal using the XA FC1212 AHRS after a roll servo upgrade, actually.

Cool, I'll see what direction I'm going in, in the next couple of months.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
I posted this thread earlier today and then I realized I had brought this topic up here before, so I'm kind of reposting again, Sorry about this.

I know we kind of touched on this, but not sure if I specifically asked. Does anyone know if it is ok to put something like the Sony NEX-5 on the DJI F550 Naza+GPS. I'm thinking of getting the Aeroxcraft camera gimbal and landing gear so I can haul the NEX-5. Is this camera too big for the F550 or would it haul it? I know Aeroxcraft makes a gimbal for the GoPro, but that they also make the larger gimbal for the NEX-5. I don't want to get the extension kit for the F550 as I'll probably go for a bigger system entirely in the next year.