a Safe Reliable FLight control system for a heavy lifter

after some time in this industry i have worked the Wookong M, Naza H, A2, SuperX. of all of them ive had the best luck with the wookong. have not played with the superX enough to give it a fair judgement but ive heard it has some communication issues with KDE ESC's that we are trying to use. im getting ready to put together a backup heavy lifter and im torn between what flight control system i really want to go with. frankly i cant say i 100% trust all of these units with the amount of money that is in the air. i was doing some research on the Zero UAV Gemini-m and it seems thats not quite figured out either. its pushing me to look into more industrial systems. is anyone using anything else outside these systems that they have had excellent luck with? something with redundancy preferably.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
The ZeroUAV Gemini (duel) is amazing.
I had 350+ flights on my HighOne flying a GH3/4 with perfect results.
When I get some extra money I will be ordering another one.

(And I still own an A2, WKM, Naza 2 and 4 SuperX's...)

maxwelltub

I really like the idea of double flight controller redundancy. Sleepy how is the flight performance compared to the WKM?

Kloner,

what is it you like about the SuperX compared to other FLight control systems you have used in the past. im not big on the minimalist setup it has, i just feel like something is missing after i finished programming it. also could never get it to lock onto GPS, which is most like a part of not doing the compass calibration right. that was a huge pain in the *** and i dont think it ever took right.

kloner

Aerial DP
Reliability...... they don't try flying away and the built in logging is absolutely the best i've seen. They do wind well, make smooth footage

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I configured and test flew one for a customer a while back and it was an easy setup (almost too easy).
But later he was flying his rig and it dropped straight down from 200 feet.....with MR destroyed.

I suspect it was either configured incorrectly or RTH was activated or the throttle was pulled back to 0% during flight so as to cause this.
Since the software resides inside of the FC, I am having difficulty remembering how the throttle was configured to be restrained from dropping below 10% when RTH is activated.
Is the Futaba T8FG configured in the same was as for a WKM or A2?

Reliability...... they don't try flying away and the built in logging is absolutely the best i've seen. They do wind well, make smooth footage

kloner

Aerial DP
i've seen that here a few times from guys dropping throttle too much on decents.... theres so many factors that go into a crash, but i've personally seen consistent logs that have shown user or other part errors, which i can't say for anything DJI.... Sure helps to know and to feel kozier to know what happened when something screws up....

No, all futaba radios need everything reversed for superX...... think a couple of the channels are different as well like gain, etc. The latest version of superX with sbus connected outputs ch 9-12 off superX so that's convienant

the biggest trick to superX is to get G set to 20% then tune the basic gains to that.

ary

all futaba radios need everything reversed for superX, do you mean reversed chanel 1-4?
Can you share more detail about G set to 20%?
Any step by step to follow(link)?
Just bought a Futaba 14SG. My hitech aurora 9 didn't sync with KDE esc and KDE 5215

Many thanks,
Ary

i've seen that here a few times from guys dropping throttle too much on decents.... theres so many factors that go into a crash, but i've personally seen consistent logs that have shown user or other part errors, which i can't say for anything DJI.... Sure helps to know and to feel kozier to know what happened when something screws up....

No, all futaba radios need everything reversed for superX...... think a couple of the channels are different as well like gain, etc. The latest version of superX with sbus connected outputs ch 9-12 off superX so that's convienant

the biggest trick to superX is to get G set to 20% then tune the basic gains to that.

fpmurphy

after some time in this industry i have worked the Wookong M, Naza H, A2, SuperX. of all of them ive had the best luck with the wookong. have not played with the superX enough to give it a fair judgement but ive heard it has some communication issues with KDE ESC's that we are trying to use. im getting ready to put together a backup heavy lifter and im torn between what flight control system i really want to go with. frankly i cant say i 100% trust all of these units with the amount of money that is in the air. i was doing some research on the Zero UAV Gemini-m and it seems thats not quite figured out either. its pushing me to look into more industrial systems. is anyone using anything else outside these systems that they have had excellent luck with? something with redundancy preferably.

SuperX and KDE ESC's don't play nicely with Taranis. You have to set your throttle endpoints differently. In the throttle channel the weight should be 86 and the offset should be - 7.

I'm not sure what radio you're using, but this fixed all my SuperX/KDE problems.

kloner

Aerial DP
I reverse all 9 channels i use 1-9 cause the way my switches are to make them like a2, ie to make manual up and not down, etc.

You set the gain dial to whatever trim/dial you want, power up the aircraft without props and figure out where +20% is and once is there, i limit the endpoints as such so it's super linear and moving the dial only moves the gain +-30 from there. having it set at 20% is it's sweet spot and is only known it's position from your x.log uploaded to the superX black box.

I sure don't have anything showing it, Drew might... I'm just an end user that followed his advice

Last edited by a moderator:

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Kloner,

Excellent information...... Now I need to find a SuperX supplier but also one that can sell some SuperX parts to get the previous one up and flying again.