boom repair question

vrso2

i got simple question. Is there a way to extend carbon fiber tube ? I have t1000 but i cant fit bigger props than 1655 (space btw booms ends are 17'').

So, i was thinking, couple 2-3 inch of tube to my boom and make it ready for 1855 props (i have 5008 motors).

Did anybody tried that? Im thinking to put inside of 25x23mm tube anothe 23x21mm tube, and glue it together with 2-3 inch extension.

Did anybody tried this? or is there different method to do it ?

I just don't feel like change all 8 booms for 260$... :)

thx

jes1111

The tubes look (from their website) like plain CF tubing - so no need to pay Tarot's price for longer versions - just source the right OD from elsewhere. Trying to graft extensions onto the existing arms will be a lot of work and would only work well if you get exactly the right fit for an interior joining sleeve.

tstrike

pendejo grande
You could always try the one up one down motor method. Worked with a crew last week that was using this on their cinestar 8 and they were running 17" tiger props that way.
To extend the booms you'd have to get ferrule's that matched the inside dimensions of your booms, then slide your extension on. With the adhesive you'd use, the inside ferrule, and the boom extension, it would be lighter and cheaper to find longer arms.

vrso2

hmm, to replace them all will cost me about 150USD.

I just order 23x21mm and try o make coupler ...

Ronan

Considering you have to pretty much rewire the arms, take the motors/plate/ESC off anyways, i would simply get longer arms and have a clean install.

Not only you are adding weight to the end of the arms, you are also adding a joint which could introduce vibration and even a weak point if your epoxy isn't perfectly mixed and cured.

vrso2

Considering you have to pretty much rewire the arms, take the motors/plate/ESC off anyways, i would simply get longer arms and have a clean install.

Not only you are adding weight to the end of the arms, you are also adding a joint which could introduce vibration and even a weak point if your epoxy isn't perfectly mixed and cured.

when i was building this octo, i made a "slack" on all wires.

I have my ESCs under motors and i would make tube connection by the center plate, where i have 3 clamps to holding it. My connection would be seating right under second (middle) clamp.

And yes, only im worry about is vibrations from 18'' props. Im just wondering, is 25x23mm carbon fiber tube enough?

Old Man

Why add the weight of plugs at the outer end of the arms? Makes the entire system work harder and increases risks. I'd buy new tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vrso2

ooook, old man is right ;)

I decided to replace all 8 booms for 600mm. I paid $30 for 2 25x23mm 600mm tubes which made $120 shipped.

Thanx all for help ;)