Hoverfly HF PRO, Where are we at?

So all my Hoverfly gear has been sitting in an unused model for ages now. Without trialling through all the threads could I ask a couple of simple questions?

Is it worth me trying again with my HFP/GPS?

Is it now a super reliable platform?

Is it just outdated by modern FC's?

Thanks

W

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
W

There are other systems that are being developed more aggressively but they don't necessarily fly any better. The HF PRO is still a top notch flight control if you need smooth flying and easy set up. The GPS has a beta firmware update that makes it perform much better but you need to buy a new GPS antenna to make it work. It's about $90 and a couple of hours to do the whole thing.

It's always been super reliable, I've still got one flying that can go with me on any given day so I'd say it's definitely worth you trying again. Is it a black board?

Yea it's a black board, I sold my first green one ages ago.

I'll look up the new GPS firmware and hardware. I've also got an external mag that I never got around to fitting. Still worth doing?

JZSlenker

Yeah, I can blow that up.
The new GPS model has a built in external mag so you wont need to use the spark fun one.
If you want to shoot silky smooth video and lift anything other than a GoPro there is still no better platform.

mspencer1

I hate to say it and rock the boat but the GPS on Hoverfly is still S**t compared to anything thats out there. I've been a big believer in HF since they were Quad Powered (originally). I still believe their manual flight performance cannot be beaten. The GPS does work. However the GPS and Altitude Hold is still archaic. Being a Heavy Octo Flyer (25-35 lbs) and doing this professionally I wanted something that would hold position when I take my hands off the controls and still have the HF smoothness. HF will not do that. It will drift in a good 20 foot radius even with the Beta firmware and Ublox GPS. The Altitude Hold cannot be trusted with heavy loads either. It hunts too much. When I was about to pull the trigger on a Mikrokopter I decided to try the less expensive Super X. This controller performs with the heaviest of loads while under GPS control. I immediately went out and bought a second one. Its GPS and Altitude holding is as accurate as an APM or Pixhawk but way smoother (less robotic like). The amazing part is that it can fly smoothly while under GPS control with super heavy loads. This is what I wanted from Hoverfly but they never delivered. The last thing Hoverfly was taking about doing was making the GPS and Baro sensor listen to the IMU for more accurate control. But thats where they ended their development. The Super X nearly has the smoothness in manual mode as the HFP. However the GPS slewing is so smooth and accurate with the Super X that you'll never want to fly it in manual mode again. When you let go of the sticks it slides to a stop. The HFP tries to re-correct its position by hitting the brakes and throwing it into reverse to back up to its GPS position. I hated buying a Chinese FC but it has made my flying way less stressful. To me, Super X continued on where HF left off. It doesn't have all the fancy features like the rest do but it has the basics like Loiter and RTL. I have You tube videos of me attaching a 13 lb toolbox to an already 18 lb ship. I ran it through its GPS paces and I was amazed!

As I figured then. I was an early adopter too but then got sidetracked by FPV flight so my AP rig has been sitting gathering dust. Every time I pop back to look at HF it seems they have gone away from development and more to running their own AP business.

Anyone want a HFP black/GPS board with original GPS module and an external compass module?

Offers.

I'm never gonna use it if I can't trust it as much as other FCs I have. Shame.

Bluerex

Hi Wayne :)
I too have an unused HFP blackboard and GPS board (and Antenna) in a box marked "Lessons learned".
Unfortunately the box has no lid, but for now the Hoverfly keeps company with my early aero-quad experiments, while my DJI Naza and Wook keep my TBS Disco Pro and Droidworx X4 in the air.
Never say never, but......

C

mspencer1

I agree. I don't like to support the Chinese FC's but their prices and performance is hard to ignore. Moving from HF to Super X was hard. But when I saw a controller perform the way I had been wishing for a few years now I will never go back. Maybe I can get enough from my HF boards to buy lunch.:rolleyes:

atpfilms

I agree. I don't like to support the Chinese FC's but their prices and performance is hard to ignore. Moving from HF to Super X was hard. But when I saw a controller perform the way I had been wishing for a few years now I will never go back. Maybe I can get enough from my HF boards to buy lunch.:rolleyes:

I'm building an X8 just for fun and I'm really on a tight budget - really. very. tight. Your Hoverfly Pro board might be worth a try. What would you want for it? Anyone have one cheap in the states?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I hate to say it and rock the boat but the GPS on Hoverfly is still S**t compared to anything thats out there. I've been a big believer in HF since they were Quad Powered (originally). I still believe their manual flight performance cannot be beaten. The GPS does work. However the GPS and Altitude Hold is still archaic. Being a Heavy Octo Flyer (25-35 lbs) and doing this professionally I wanted something that would hold position when I take my hands off the controls and still have the HF smoothness. HF will not do that. It will drift in a good 20 foot radius even with the Beta firmware and Ublox GPS. The Altitude Hold cannot be trusted with heavy loads either. It hunts too much. When I was about to pull the trigger on a Mikrokopter I decided to try the less expensive Super X. This controller performs with the heaviest of loads while under GPS control. I immediately went out and bought a second one. Its GPS and Altitude holding is as accurate as an APM or Pixhawk but way smoother (less robotic like). The amazing part is that it can fly smoothly while under GPS control with super heavy loads. This is what I wanted from Hoverfly but they never delivered. The last thing Hoverfly was taking about doing was making the GPS and Baro sensor listen to the IMU for more accurate control. But thats where they ended their development. The Super X nearly has the smoothness in manual mode as the HFP. However the GPS slewing is so smooth and accurate with the Super X that you'll never want to fly it in manual mode again. When you let go of the sticks it slides to a stop. The HFP tries to re-correct its position by hitting the brakes and throwing it into reverse to back up to its GPS position. I hated buying a Chinese FC but it has made my flying way less stressful. To me, Super X continued on where HF left off. It doesn't have all the fancy features like the rest do but it has the basics like Loiter and RTL. I have You tube videos of me attaching a 13 lb toolbox to an already 18 lb ship. I ran it through its GPS paces and I was amazed!

I have to say I have had a different experience with my HF GPS beta upgrade. It isn't perfect but it's much better than it was and it even stays perfectly still at times including in the wind. One thing I've done that may be different from you is that I have my GPS board (with the magnetometer) mounted about two inches above the PRO board which has eliminated magnetic interference. As a result the heli is very stable in heading allowing me to fly entire flights in carefree mode using a two axis camera mount as a three axis with great results.

SuperX is probably a great flight controller, that's about all I've heard about it but a HF PRO/GPS is still a perfectly useable and very reliable flight controller. There's nothing for me or anyone else to gain by saying this at this point so it just is what it is.

bobsquad

I have a hoverfly gps black board which I purchased shortly after hoverfly came out with it. I have never used it and is still in its original box with the original antenna. I would like to know if I purchased the recommended 3DR antenna with compass if it would connect to the overfly gps board or would I have to make modifications to use it. I have been reading this forum for a long time now and I think its time to use the gps board if you folks out there recommend it. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.