DJI A2 and Spektrum TX systems

Tahoe Ed

Droider,

I did not set the frame rate on these. I took them off my old MK Hexa. They are Spektrum. I just bought two new ones and they are both DSM2.

Ed

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Droider,

I did not set the frame rate on these. I took them off my old MK Hexa. They are Spektrum. I just bought two new ones and they are both DSM2.

Ed

So I wonder if this is the problem.
Mine are all have a X embossed in to the plastic, have yours?
How do you know they are DSM2?
Have you got one linked or 2?
What firmware is on your A2?

In the releace notes it says upgrade 1.1 for all Spektrum radios including my beloved DX18

BUT no mention of it on the download page and even after winding back my laptop and re-installing the software the assistant still says my V1.0 is up to date!

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
hi, dsm2 are the older spektrum sat's, i know fast lads performance have them in stock as well.

http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/spektrum_dsm2_remote_receiver_spm9545-p-1766.html

Thanks for the links BUT I dont want to throw more money until at this until there is a definitive answer. I have two units on the work bench one was ready to fly last weekend the other will be by the end of today but they wont be because DJI wont pull their finger out and give a clear definitive answer to the problem.

WHY should I keep having to throw money at a problem that should not exist.

Dave

Tahoe Ed

So I wonder if this is the problem.
Mine are all have a X embossed in to the plastic, have yours?
Mine have a 2 below the DSM on the plastic.
How do you know they are DSM2?
See above.
Have you got one linked or 2?
I have two linked.
What firmware is on your A2?
I am using the latest software for the A2 FC.
In the releace notes it says upgrade 1.1 for all Spektrum radios including my beloved DX18.
On the tools you will see a representation of the components. Double click on the A2 FC and then perform the upgrade.

BUT no mention of it on the download page and even after winding back my laptop and re-installing the software the assistant still says my V1.0 is up to date!

Dave

​Hang in there Dave you are almost there.

jazzboy

Thanks for the links BUT I dont want to throw more money until at this until there is a definitive answer. I have two units on the work bench one was ready to fly last weekend the other will be by the end of today but they wont be because DJI wont pull their finger out and give a clear definitive answer to the problem.

WHY should I keep having to throw money at a problem that should not exist.

Dave

Very good point. If I have to, I will buy a Futaba but it would be nice not to have to spend another $450 if possible. I will try a couple things today. One trick is to pre-bind your sats using a Spektrum RX before attaching them to the a FC. This trick also works for telemetry, found out about it on a PX4 as it has no bind function and everything has to be pre-bound.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Very good point. If I have to, I will buy a Futaba but it would be nice not to have to spend another $450 if possible. I will try a couple things today. One trick is to pre-bind your sats using a Spektrum RX before attaching them to the a FC. This trick also works for telemetry, found out about it on a PX4 as it has no bind function and everything has to be pre-bound.

I tried that and it did not work.. The TM 1000 will only work if plugged into a receiver.. Still trying to work this out.. how to get telemetry back down without having to go down a full blown receiver route but I think that will be toe only way....

I just need pack voltage and temperature.. anyhow everyone leep posting here and hopefull it will put enough people off buying a A2 that the dealers will put pressure on DJI to solve the issues so they can sell units!

COMPLINE COMPLINE AND COMPLAIN AGAIN..

Dave

jazzboy

I tried that and it did not work.. The TM 1000 will only work if plugged into a receiver.. Still trying to work this out.. how to get telemetry back down without having to go down a full blown receiver route but I think that will be toe only way....

I just need pack voltage and temperature.. anyhow everyone leep posting here and hopefull it will put enough people off buying a A2 that the dealers will put pressure on DJI to solve the issues so they can sell units!

COMPLINE COMPLINE AND COMPLAIN AGAIN..

Dave
The TM 1000 works fine without a receiver. This I know for sure as I was running my PX4 with one sat and TM1000 with the PX 4. Both had to bound to an AR8000 first, disconnected and then the telemetry was fine without the rx, you obviously won't have rx voltage but I had main pack voltage A-OK.

You still have to pull 5 volts from somewhere to power the TM1000, but any rail that has 5 volts works. I did disconnect the signal cable and only left hot and cold just to be safe.

Have not played with my A2 and sats yet. Just got the iPad I am typing on and spent a bit of time with the Ground Station software and it looks pretty slick.

But the sats should be sorted as chasing down DSM2 ones is a tad silly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
The TM 1000 works fine without a receiver. This I know for sure as I was running my PX4 with one sat and TM1000 with the PX 4. Both had to bound to an AR8000 first, disconnected and then the telemetry was fine without the rx, you obviously won't have rx voltage but I had main pack voltage A-OK.

You still have to pull 5 volts from somewhere to power the TM1000, but any rail that has 5 volts works. I did disconnect the signal cable and only left hot and cold just to be safe.

Have not played with my A2 and sats yet. Just got the iPad I am typing on and spent a bit of time with the Ground Station software and it looks pretty slick.

But the sats should be sorted as chasing down DSM2 ones is a tad silly.

I tried it but it did not work. mmmm maybe I could have another look at that but the issue there is if you bind it to a receiver you loos the bind when you bind the satellites to the A2.

I will almost certainly go down the s=bus route when its available

Dave

jazzboy

I tried it but it did not work. mmmm maybe I could have another look at that but the issue there is if you bind it to a receiver you loos the bind when you bind the satellites to the A2.

I will almost certainly go down the s=bus route when its available

Dave

Now I understand. I did not have do any additional binds with the PX4, on the A2 the sat are an additional bind, so you are correct, it would be problematic. Sorry for any misdirection, if you ever do use a PX4 it will work ;-)

Andy

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Ok all spektrum users out there. I spent the evening last night playing with the channel mapping. I have 10 seen channels with my Spektrum DX18 with out the Xtension enabled. I will enabling that tonight to see if it gets more but for now 10 will be fine as long as I can get some outputs to the camera trigger, camera zoom etc

Dave

Tahoe Ed

Dave, good to hear. I am only getting 8 on my JR9503. I think that you will be able to get more than 10 with your Dx18.

jazzboy

Ok all spektrum users out there. I spent the evening last night playing with the channel mapping. I have 10 seen channels with my Spektrum DX18 with out the Xtension enabled. I will enabling that tonight to see if it gets more but for now 10 will be fine as long as I can get some outputs to the camera trigger, camera zoom etc

Dave

Did you end up using DSM2 sats?

Andy

Shaktar

I have just bought one of these. I have got a single DSMX satellite receiver plunged in, not sure if you need one or two in there though. Its binds first time and i have all my switches working etc, only thing is the fail-safe wont kick in when i turn the TX off.

Could you guys post the bind/link procedure that you are using? I am using a dx18 also, and all of my sats are dsmx. I cannot get the A2 to bind to my dx18. I tried all of the rx settings in the assistant software with no luck.

One specific question: Since Futaba and Spektrum have different binding methods, which to use? That is, with Spektrum you power on the rx and then power on the tx with bind button held. With Futaba, you power on both and press the link button on the rx. So which method do we use to bind the A2 using Spektrum tx?