Wobbling cs8

kloner

Aerial DP
I've got a new cs8 kit here that was assembled by somebody else, barely flown then brought to me. It's main problem is it is extremely unstable, wobbles like crazy. When it came in the first thing that i noticed was the high pitch noise. it is deafening

First thing i did was unprop, fire it up and go over the motors. 2 were shot out, vibrating harder than my old ladies',,,,, wait, it shakes. all of them had one form or another of not the best it should be...... 3 were perfect like i'd expect. almost feel like there not spinning when you feet an arm near it. Took it out and flew it and it flew killer without a gimbal, hadn't seen that and after a week of screwing around with it, was a welcome sight. Put the gimbal on it and it started loosening up again,a nex5 mounted and it falls apart,wobbles all over the place. It has them big quadrocopter motors 3328 i believe....... Tried it with both HFP and wookong, neither tames it....... props tried were 14x5 zoar pjn and apc slofly 13x3.8

ideas of other stuff to try to trouble shoot it? new set of motors? does the frame have a wrap of doing this? is it bearings? that whistle sound? 2 make it more than others. if so, what size, where they at?

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
I've got a new cs8 kit here that was assembled by somebody else, barely flown then brought to me. It's main problem is it is extremely unstable, wobbles like crazy. When it came in the first thing that i noticed was the high pitch noise. it is deafening

First thing i did was unprop, fire it up and go over the motors. 2 were shot out, vibrating harder than my old ladies',,,,, wait, it shakes. all of them had one form or another of not the best it should be...... 3 were perfect like i'd expect. almost feel like there not spinning when you feet an arm near it. Took it out and flew it and it flew killer without a gimbal, hadn't seen that and after a week of screwing around with it, was a welcome sight. Put the gimbal on it and it started loosening up again,a nex5 mounted and it falls apart,wobbles all over the place. It has them big quadrocopter motors 3328 i believe....... Tried it with both HFP and wookong, neither tames it....... props tried were 14x5 zoar pjn and apc slofly 13x3.8

ideas of other stuff to try to trouble shoot it? new set of motors? does the frame have a wrap of doing this? is it bearings? that whistle sound? 2 make it more than others. if so, what size, where they at?

Video?

vispaaja

Well, Plettenbergs are crazy expensive, but there are absolutely no vibrations.. Best investment I have made. There are currently a few sets on sale here on the forum. I have had very good luck with Axis too. If the goal is to do AP, motors are the worst item to save money on.

kloner

Aerial DP
this is it with the gimbal turned off from onboard.

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
was just looking everything over and noticed i mispoke, the apc props i tried were 14x4.7

am i over propped? it has that feel,,,,, stuck in high gear going up a hill feeling

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
was just looking everything over and noticed i mispoke, the apc props i tried were 14x4.7

am i over propped? it has that feel,,,,, stuck in high gear going up a hill feeling

That's a good one but to me it looks like it is over adjusted on the gain side of the gyro, it looks to be overcompensating and then doing it over again causing a slight wobble. If this was the Naza-M I'd back off my pitch and roll settings by 5-10 and see if it goes away. Also, what's the wind speed right there...looks to be 5-10mph with 15mph+ gusts. Any wind coming off a roof or mount or something blowing into the side of you? Just curious...

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Notice when you drop below the building that it goes away more-so than it does when you are in the wind? Classic too high gain on gyro...

EDIT One other thing I've seen is when your gain is TOO LOW you'll see jello effects in your flying. Look at my early videos and you'll see what I mean when I drop from the sky and turn...it just jellos the whole craft. Turned up my gain by 40-50 points in the Naza and boom...rock solid. When I went too high I saw what you saw all the way up until it gets much worse and becomes a constant jitter if the gain is super high.

kloner

Aerial DP
it's doing it from high to low gains. I'm changing them in that part from 150 to 270 and it doesn't fix it, just changes it's look

It is mechanical, garunteed, just can't figure out what. just moved the legs to the frame to lighten it more, flew a hero up on the top looking at three props and that shows the motors shutting off then back on during flight. This thing has 8x ICE75 and lemme tell ya, kloner aint impressed with em. I'm 99% sure it's an esc or motor or setting thing. Last night i went over logs and since switching to firmware 4.02 in castle, it no longer logs anything on any of the 8 esc's and i lost all communication with one of them. it's as good as dead

the first part was manual, looks loose, then i take off in atti then it starts getting pissed

Last edited by a moderator:

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Looks like you are narrowing it down at least. If the flash caused problems, I'd start there. Also reprogram all your ESCs, maybe one is set to LOW TIMING and one is set to HIGH TIMING or something along those lines. If they are shutting off in flight, and you sure that's not a trick of your camera?, then you have a major issue to find for sure. In that case it could be ESC's, failing motors, failing flight controller...etc etc, since you swapped out the flight controller it aint that. :)

kloner

Aerial DP
positive they were all the same settings. the multi rotor firmware is relatively new but is 400hz, yada yada. wish i had a set of some other esc's to try........ this thing should be floating around and she aint........

kloner

Aerial DP
this hting has 450 arms and 14" props. the tips are super close, does that make these wobble?

I added 10 lbs of weight under it and in no wind it has a soft version of flight like the first vid posted.

kloner

Aerial DP
it's to carry a red, there was no weight, some weight, 10 lbs and a nex5, just gets worse the more weight you give it,,,,,,,,the prop tips are 3/8" apart,,,, that normal?

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
positive they were all the same settings. the multi rotor firmware is relatively new but is 400hz, yada yada. wish i had a set of some other esc's to try........ this thing should be floating around and she aint........

I'm guessing you already did the due diligence stuff, checked the arms, the screws, motor mounts, motor balance, motor shafts? bent, used locktite, etc etc etc... To me it looks to be prop'd wrong or tuned wrong honestly. That's my best guess, let us know once you find it! Should be interesting...anything more you can tell us about the issue? Also, did you fly it inside to check to see if it still does it with no wind i.e. outside influence?

kloner

Aerial DP
everything but tossed it up for target practice.....

i think the booms are too short for the props

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Have you talked to Quadrocopter or Hoverfly? I h=think it's actually ok to have the blades within 1/2" or so. Pretty sure thats not your problem. You've rolled through some different gains and nothing changes? Weird. Maybe you can talk to Ben, he has the same and flies big cameras.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
everything but tossed it up for target practice.....

i think the booms are too short for the props

What about when you hold it and let someone spin up the props and motors, can you feel any vibrations? You may be able to hold one boom and feel to see if that's the "problem area" so to speak. Of course, please be CAREFUL KLONER!! :)

kloner

Aerial DP
That'll be next to start asking home base..... Tabbs here, hopefuly he knows something The hfp is at hoverfly from acting weird, wouldn't throttle up past idle, dunno what the hecks going on. put a wookong on it and it consistently flies now but still has a wobble that both flight controllers show.

Does everybody with these things run these big motors from quadrocopter? 3328 or something like that? suppose to be good? Is that whistle normal?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I dont think those are 3328's, they are the equivalent of 2814's and what you have look like 2826. You got Tabb there? Man, they brought in the wolf! (pulp fiction reference)