New Align 800 cameraship - Needs some work!

DennyR

Looking at the monitor this does not look good. Yet another stand alone gimbal controller. It is nowhere near locked in.:apathy:
The penny has not dropped.

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

The nicest part is the T-Rex800E. Those batteries look quite small so I guess they have the efficiency sorted.

It would be nice to see competitor to the Zen at the same electronic technology level. A high sensitivity base plate imu to refine the signal, could be the answer. Cmon George you know what I mean, change the 2000 deg./sec. to 250 in the registry on a 6050 and tweak the accls. and you will be on the right track?

DennyR

It is NOT vibration, it is a balance issue and a poor IMU. the web site shows a good mounting system.

Macsgrafs

I stand corrected, but I noticed the picture bouncing...just like my old trex600 used to do, I had to use 4 car suspension units to cure that...the 2 they have on this 800 aren't up to the job if you ask me!

kloner

Aerial DP
align has always had the crapiest electronics ever. the second fbl controller they sold was chrome plated inside the plastic case, it'd shoot an arc and reboot the gyro... Quality

there servos are total crap, gyros blow monkey nutts, just hate there stuff. It'll never fly as smooth as you guys are all used to with there electronics on that thing

DennyR

View attachment 8933
I stand corrected, but I noticed the picture bouncing...just like my old trex600 used to do, I had to use 4 car suspension units to cure that...the 2 they have on this 800 aren't up to the job if you ask me!

Well my TRD's have just one Buggy unit plus a couple of other rubbers and bump stops that attenuate the sampled vibration from the testing phase. Nothing gets through. The Zen is pretty stable even when it's turned off. The servos that I use on the swash are Magnetic encoder Hitec High Voltage series and the tail rotor has the super fast HKS 878. As I recall the Align servos are made by Savox. Recently I have been testing the Naza-H which is not bad. It could do with a better manual. Such a bespoke machine is very time consuming to build so it would be great if Align come up with a All in One solution that can lift a RED Epic. Much Dev. going on at the moment with blade design. The asymmetric Spin blades are far from perfect for this kind of application. Kloner we have a few T-Rex700 3D machines here at my local club which their owners are pleased with but the two machines that seem to be favorites are the Mikado 500 series and the TDR's if you want to go really fast. The JR stuff is also very good. A few years back we all flew jets but then 3D came along.

Attachments

• Naza Back End.jpg
    Naza Back End.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 280

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Denny I had seen this before but never looked closely at the monitor. yes, this sucks! It seems the cam op is no better skilled at operating that gimbal than he probably can an automobile! But regardless, the wobbling and bouncing is unacceptable, especially for a promo video! Heli looks nice though.

DennyR

Yuri

I think before we start getting too hard on those guys it is very early days. I would like to see what they come up with on an official release video. Rather than some guy getting a bit nosey at a pre release day.

Looks like they are working around the use of Canon DSLRs and bravely having a go at the zoom function which will take some serious further work. The bouncing is definitely caused by being front heavy on the camera balance. Who knows what/who is behind the design of that gimbal but Align are not a small outfit and they will have decent resources to call on. I would rather see something like what Tabb has done for carrying a Red Epic.

As an example of how important camera balance is. When my TDR is sitting on the ground on foam skids, I can shake the rotor head by hand and the whole machine rocks from side to side. But the camera does not move at all even though it is not switched on. One of the key factors in achieving this comes from the position of the main batteries which creates a mass damping at the lower part of the model where the axis of the roll movement is.

What I really don't like about that mount (and a good few others) is that you cant rotate the camera 90 deg. to take vertical portrait shots.
FWIW I use that function a lot with the Zen even with Panos where I stitch em together afterwards. (higher pixel count and far less barrel distortion).

DennyR

12s at the moment but I will be moving to 14s and smaller batteries soon.

Ok this discussion is moving away from traditional multi talk but so is fixed wing FPV and some other stuff but at the end of the day there is much cross over info that we can all benefit from. I use fixed wing, multi's and helis as they all do some aspects of AP better than others.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert

Ok this discussion is moving away from traditional multi talk but so is fixed wing FPV and some other stuff but at the end of the day there is much cross over info that we can all benefit from. I use fixed wing, multi's and helis as they all do some aspects of AP better than others.

12S to 14S? Wow, what's that like? How much weight are you lifting here? 4S for me is enough lol...plus what do your chargers and power supplies look like sheesh...

Macsgrafs

Denny, it's good to diverge every now & again, keeps the forums exciting.
I also fly helis & fixed wing, each as you rightly say has its own merits.

14s.....thats some serious bucks I bet ;) So you have the 800 Trekker Denny....got any aerial footage for us film buffs to view ;)

Ross

DennyR

I have a mate who has a T-Rex800E which is not bad. I don't have a trekker, just the TDR's. They weigh 7kg with 11 amp 12s batteries. The 14s is only in Dev stage along with the new rotor blades 1000 rpm.which will set new standards in efficiency (batteries will be smaller). Weather is not good at the moment for new videos but I will start again in about a months time. As we work towards better models the camera technology is getting much better and smaller also. Panasonic just released details of a new compact camera. The DMC-TZ40 shoots 50P HD (AVCHD) plus a fancy HDR mode 18 mp. stills and has a great 20x lens that stabilises in 5 axis with auto leveling. Not sure if it supports HDMI out. A lot cheaper than a GoPro-3. I think that camera on a Zen would be able to produce perfect full zoom stability if it has the remote functions to use it.