Self-made ​​s800 retractable landing gear.

heli001

Triple Tree Aerodrome
Hazard,

I believe heinz is talking about these retracts: http://www.pimp-your-kopter.de/frame/-landegestelle/klapplandegestell-fuer-s800.php

Not the SeCraft ones....there are evidently three different retract systems for the s800 out there now.......It appears that the Secraft Retracts pull more amperage than the others......this could be due to more quality in the Drive System or an inferior product...who knows. By the other items that they sell, it appears that quality is not an issue and they have been around for a while, they did not just pop up overnite. as soon as we get them, we will know, as it is hard to judge an item before you actually have it in hand and can test it. Some like to judge just by a picture or a diagram..........

Hazard,

I believe heinz is talking about these retracts: http://www.pimp-your-kopter.de/frame/-landegestelle/klapplandegestell-fuer-s800.php

Not the SeCraft ones....there are evidently three different retract systems for the s800 out there now.......It appears that the Secraft Retracts pull more amperage than the others......this could be due to more quality in the Drive System or an inferior product...who knows. By the other items that they sell, it appears that quality is not an issue and they have been around for a while, they did not just pop up overnite. as soon as we get them, we will know, as it is hard to judge an item before you actually have it in hand and can test it. Some like to judge just by a picture or a diagram..........

Yes your right Heinz says his doesn't require a bec and is powered by the RX, which is nice. May main question is really about fail safes, what happens when and if they lose power or signal, other than that, they go up and down.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
+1 good one. Haven't thought about that. In case of failsafe the answer will be its the question of the setting of your RX and TX. Power loss I am pretty sure nothing will happen. Singal loss would also be nice if they do down.
But if the systems only are motors that are directly controlled by a RX and no logic to them. Than i quess the question is easily answered.

Wonder how DJI is dealing with all this. Is there system connected to the MC or also to the RX or to the can-bus, which would probably be the best option !

Boris

heli001

Triple Tree Aerodrome
As we have mentioned in several other postings on the Groups, Failsafe is one of our main concerns also...What happens in a failure, whether it be Radio, Power Loss or Mechanical Failure of the Drive Unit...will they come down and lock? No one will know until they are actually delivered and until then, ALL the speculation in the World, will NOT answer any questions. We will make a complete and FULL report, as soon as WE receive them...if someone gets them before US, we hope that they will do the same. Looks like we are beating the Horse way before it has passed.........

Digitech

you can eather set the failsafe thru your TX
and if not get one of these 5usd Car Throttle failsafes.
you can program them independant of the receiver

Dale UK

I'm new to MRF - and this is the first thread I've clicked on! (and contributed to) - If it's all this good and full of interesting stuff like this - I'm IN!

I also agree with the above about the over confident pricing policy of DJI - they are clearly under the impression that most of their S800 customers are businesses - probably Corporate - where price isn't an issue - they will have to be careful they don't price themselves out of their 'core' customer market - the enthusiast! (£100 for a spare battery tray!!!!)

vislaw

It's a free market, of course, and in the short six years since Dajiang Innovation Technology Co., Ltd was founded, they've proven themselves to be pretty damn savvy in both technology and business. There is a significant demand for retractable landing gear now and they would be foolish not to price their product commensurate with demand. People ***** at Apple for their pricing, but they own the core technology and have a huge marketing and distribution advantage through their Apple Stores. Apple shareholders certainly appreciate how they do business and, on a smaller scale, DJI is taking advantage of a lot of similar market factors. Furthermore, DJI seems to be operating at several levels to service both professionals and the "core" customer market. As for the landing gear, I have little doubt that their pricing will come down relatively quickly, but you can't blame them for taking advantage of the demand among higher-end buyers who are willing to pay the freight to use their "approved" landing gear.

It's a free market, of course, and in the short six years since Dajiang Innovation Technology Co., Ltd was founded, they've proven themselves to be pretty damn savvy in both technology and business. There is a significant demand for retractable landing gear now and they would be foolish not to price their product commensurate with demand. People ***** at Apple for their pricing, but they own the core technology and have a huge marketing and distribution advantage through their Apple Stores. Apple shareholders certainly appreciate how they do business and, on a smaller scale, DJI is taking advantage of a lot of similar market factors. Furthermore, DJI seems to be operating at several levels to service both professionals and the "core" customer market. As for the landing gear, I have little doubt that their pricing will come down relatively quickly, but you can't blame them for taking advantage of the demand among higher-end buyers who are willing to pay the freight to use their "approved" landing gear.

I agree with you 100%, although I think they didn't expect the 3rd party retracts to be so popular and at least from the initial photos and video look better in many ways, especially as far as weight goes, my experience with DJI would suggest they are aggressive in competing and they probably realize their dealers won't be moving many retracts at this price. I bet the price will come down considerably, then it might be a harder decision if they were close in price. The weight issue may still be the dominant factor a S800 with a zenmuse and camera and DJI retracts is around or over 7Kg, at that AUW every gram saved translates into longer flight time.

vislaw

I agree with you 100%, although I think they didn't expect the 3rd party retracts to be so popular and at least from the initial photos and video look better in many ways, especially as far as weight goes, my experience with DJI would suggest they are aggressive in competing and they probably realize their dealers won't be moving many retracts at this price. I bet the price will come down considerably, then it might be a harder decision if they were close in price. The weight issue may still be the dominant factor a S800 with a zenmuse and camera and DJI retracts is around or over 7Kg, at that AUW every gram saved translates into longer flight time.

Well said. I'm damn close to the weight limit already so that a significant weight savings would trump price for me. By chance have you got a comparison of the expected weight of the various alternatives?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I don't get it why is the DJI version so much heavier ? The alternative all give the weight only for the mechanism since the landing gear is not included. The DJi retracts are mechanics plus landdinggear. Im with vislaw on this someone have an overview of the weight differences ?

Boris

Dale UK

Vislaw - I know where you're coming from with that - but if your'e quoting Apple as a comparison - I think they've managed to completely piss-off half the planets population with their Marketing and new product pricing policies! But you're right, it's a free market so we can vote with our wallets and potentially make Secrafts Christmas a very happy one :) Just annoys me a little that they have to price soo much higher than the item justifies in engineering/manufacturing terms - I'd love to see DJI's costing sheets on the retracts. (PS Yes I do have an Android phone - and its already happening - Apple are ripe for being bitten by the mighty G)

vislaw

Indeed, Dale, I've heard that prediction about Apple for years and I'm glad I didn't sell my stock. However, nothing is a certainty though I believe they'll do quite well this holiday season with the iPhone5 and iPads. Speaking of which, here's an interesting article discussing Microsoft's Surface and one writer's opinion as to how the best way to beat Apple is based on price:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2412683,00.asp

In this particular microcosm (retractible landing gear for the S800) low cost AND low weight would seem to dry up demand for the DJI gear. I'm hoping we can get a definitive answer on that front soon.

heli001

Triple Tree Aerodrome
Vislaw,

Yes...the individual weight of the retract is 98 grams EACH......Let me figure out how to post pictures and I will show whazt we have so far.

heli001

Triple Tree Aerodrome

Attachments

• SeCraft retracts 006.jpg
    SeCraft retracts 006.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 305
  • SeCraft retracts 001.jpg
    SeCraft retracts 001.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 307
  • SeCraft retracts 002.jpg
    SeCraft retracts 002.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 198