Best F550 2-axis gimbal for the $$

Minnzoo

Can anyone give me advice on a good bang-for-your-buck 2-axis mount for my Nex-5n on my Flame 550? It seems like there are several out there, but they aren't inexpensive and I'd sure like to talk to someone who has one that they like.

Thanks,

David

Ghiro

VideoDroned
Without load i was fliyng for allmost 9 minutes with a lot of grunt, loaded up with all the video hardware and gimble the flight time came up to bearly 5 minute. When i first flew it all loaded i took it at allmost 80meters and it took a draft, it was very stable but handling weren't immediate as before so while in RTH it came down as a stone, couldn't switch it in manual and crashed the landing gear, camera and an arm. replaced the broken parts and use it now only for FPV, video jobs are now made with an S800+Z15. Learned it the hard way but i do fly safe now.

I'm Looking for a nice Gimbal for this Hexa. I'm using the Xaircraft 2 axis gimbal for the GoPro but the result is not very good for professional use.

I'm almost to have the new Hero 3 and I want to take profit to it so, I'd like to know about some nice and light gimbal.

I like the tppacks.com gimbal but it's too expensive by far and there is a guy from Mallorca who builds it's own Gimbals ( www.uaveurope.com ). The price without electronics it's about 200€ and looks quite good but I do not know anything about the result.

Which other options are available on the market?

I'm using NAZA Stabilizer but I've read is quite bad for the gimbal, how important is this part on the full package to get a "perfect" result?

Thanks,

Pedro

VINHEX

I've gone for the Aeroxcraft xt125 which although expsnsive has good reviews. Waiting for tomorrow to bolt on with the GoPro 3. Will see how it turns out.

Vin
DJI F550, DJI WKM, DJI DataLink 2.4Ghz, 3s 3300, 3s 5000, Aeroxcraft Landing Gear, Graupner 10x5 e-Props, Spektrum DX8, AR8000 Receiver
TM1000, Fatshark Attitude SD, Sony Exview Had II CCD 650 Line Sony Effio-E
Fatshark Spironet Antenna's, Bank balance 0.00
DJI iOSD

David Lee

Vin,

Have you had a chance to fly your F550 with the Aeroxcraft XT125 and GoPro? Do you also have the Aeroxcraft landing gear? About how long does the F550 fly when loaded with this gear?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Dave

Bowley

I'm Looking for a nice Gimbal for this Hexa. I'm using the Xaircraft 2 axis gimbal for the GoPro but the result is not very good for professional use.

I'm almost to have the new Hero 3 and I want to take profit to it so, I'd like to know about some nice and light gimbal.

I like the tppacks.com gimbal but it's too expensive by far and there is a guy from Mallorca who builds it's own Gimbals ( www.uaveurope.com ). The price without electronics it's about 200€ and looks quite good but I do not know anything about the result.

Which other options are available on the market?

I'm using NAZA Stabilizer but I've read is quite bad for the gimbal, how important is this part on the full package to get a "perfect" result?

Thanks,

Pedro

Pedro, I could never put my XA 2X Gimbal (CM130TP) to use for video, OK for stills, however I am now using using a Hoverfly Pro for craft and gimbal stab. I have only done a little testing and not much tweaking but the results were very encouraging. much better performance then I got with FC1212 AHRS, Naza or APM2.

Dale UK

I've been through this pain barrier recently (last few months) - and about £500 on wasted Gimble bucks!! (4 units purchased - all score less than 20/100)

Conclusion ...... There IS NO GOOD LOW COST GIMBAL OUT THERE ..... so don't waste your time and money looking.

Ghiro is absolutely correct here - if you want good aerial video = S800 (or equivalent) + Wookong-M + Zenmuse Z15 - end of!

I've got the S800 and the WKM - spent hundreds looking for a cheap alternative - aren't any - just need to be brave and buy the Z15 and Sony Nex-5N.

Call Geoff to confirm at www.quadcopters.co.uk - he's been doing this for years!

HOWEVER !!!! if you want reasonable quality vids without breaking the bank - just use a GoPro Hero 2 - well mounted on a foam base - FORGET THE GIMBAL !!

Hope this helps and saves you lots of cash :02.47-tranquillity:

Dale UK

VINHEX

I haven't had a chance to fly mine with weather being so crap. Hopefully I'll get a flight in today if wind drops very windy here at the mo.

Vin
DJI F550, DJI WKM, DJI DataLink 2.4Ghz, 3s 3300, 3s 5000, Aeroxcraft Landing Gear, Graupner 10x5 e-Props, Spektrum DX8, AR8000 Receiver
DJI iOSD

I have had great results with my go pro hero 2, Naza and aeroxcraft mount. I really recommend the combination, bolted to a 550.
I would strongly recommend filming in good light as if you want nice, still images at dusk, the images just appear blurred and pants! The summer higher sun definitely improves things, compared to low sun winter images...
Using inferior props had a marked deterioration on image quality,but the Graupner EProps have really helped reduce vibration.Hoping to get a flight today, like VIN says, the weather in the UK has been appalling!!!
Good luck
Rich

Phil550

I haven't had a chance to fly mine with weather being so crap. Hopefully I'll get a flight in today if wind drops very windy here at the mo.

Vin
DJI iOSD
Can you post some photos of your new setup please?

Phil

VINHEX

View attachment 8581View attachment 8582View attachment 8583

Not very clear but gives you the idea

Vin
DJI iOSD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357074560.291709.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357074560.291709.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 406
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357074571.777129.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357074571.777129.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 370
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357074585.192236.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357074585.192236.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 374

Nuttzzy

Vin
DJI iOSD

Tho the f550 and Naza don't like wind they do hold there own. I took a flight the other day to test the fatshark FPV had about 20 mph sustained and 25-30 gusts. The craft was tilted into the cross wind about 5 degrees in GPS mode. It wasn't moving but it was defiantly not liking it. However.. This is my 3rd flight so. Gains arnt adjusted, flight time stats arnt there yet cause I keep adjusting equipment and stuff. This flight was also on a CG that was off cause I neve changed it in the system after readjusting stuff. Was forgiving only thing is I wish I could set the climb rate when in GPS and Atti. It acts like it has 0 power in those modes. But in manual mode it has plenty of power by very swift and nimble. Does anyone know if you can use expo on the F550?

Beep, Beep, Honk, Honk, Over and Out Rotorhead