Water buoy floatation system

Dewster

The floatation device is cool. I really like the ballistic recovery system to save your craft when it's behaving badly. Like falling out of the sky. That would give peace of mind while flying.

gencode

Here is a pic, I put them on 3 legs. (not sure how to enlarge the pic in the reply, but you can click on it to enlarge it)

View attachment 7010

Attachments

• IMG_9615.jpg
    IMG_9615.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 657

ChrisViperM

gencode...looks good, but I would mount one float on every 2nd leg to spread the "float"....otherwise you have half of the rig above water and the other side will be a "diver"......

kloner had that stuff for quiet some time on some of his rigs.....must be a thread about that somewher on this forum.

Chris

jes1111

I like the WaterBuoys - I'm going to get some myself. Of course, one has to be realistic - it's just to prevent your very dead MR and very dead camera from sinking without trace. :)

The parachute system - I'm deeply sceptical. The main problem is the height of the MR at deployment. As with any parachute, you need to be high enough at that time for the parachute to inflate fully and then decelerate the fall. So how high is "high enough" for this system? I suspect it will need to be very high - higher than one would normally fly for aerial photography or video. So I have a feeling it's going to be an expensive, heavy provider of a false sense of security ;)

Jeremy

gencode

Actually no, the GoPro should be fine as its in the housing, the craft should all work as long as its fresh water and recovered within a few minutes after submerge. Yes things will be broken but better to have something to salvage than nothing. The Parachute would not help for water and its pretty heavy, that was my issue with it.

gencode

I would just order it if you live in water area like I do, by default it seems to me all aircraft are attracted to water ;-)

Here is me looking for $1,200 worth of GoPro and f550.
If I would have even 1 water buoy the light may have shown me where it was even if it did not float up.

It is still down there if you want it, but you may have to wrestle a gator :)

Last edited by a moderator:

rcmike

Anyone know of a larger version of this? I have a 1000mm octo that carries a DSLR. I'm not sure of the weight but I'm sure it would take quite a few of these to float it.

rsun

Anyone know of a larger version of this? I have a 1000mm octo that carries a DSLR. I'm not sure of the weight but I'm sure it would take quite a few of these to float it.

They lift 1 kg. so just use one for every kg the unit wight.

Understood... for an F450 or 550, that is a simpler solution since it would only require 3 or so. For the S800+Z15, it would technically require 7, and I was curious if anybody has come up with an alternative solution for that.

rsun

If you give it 1 on every arm the unit would be about a meter under water and given you 6 led flash the should be easy to see.