F-450 Motors

skipper1

I got an F450 to build a couple of weeks ago and I've been reading about the new branding/color of the motors and the problems some have had. My kit came with those motors, no spacers and now I'm a little nervous about using them.
I have 9" Graupners, Naza and 4s 4a batteries. What would be a good motor to substitute for what I currently have?

DesJardins

I'm switching to T-motors
MT-2212-16's (750Kv)

also now looking at the MT-2814 (770Kv)

Last edited by a moderator:

skipper1

Ooops, I'm sorry, I didn't realize I had posted this in the wrong place, my bad.

T-Motors, I have some small ones on a mini quad. They seem to have ample power. Des, are you going to use 9" Graupner's & 4s battery? This hobby is expensive enough without getting a bad motor and having a serious crash.

DesJardins

I'll be using "2" 3S 2250's in parallel.
10" Graupners & 9" Graupners will be tested too. Whatever causes hover at mid stick in manual flight mode.

drdrums

Any suggestions for motors to run w/ 10" graupners and 4S? By my read, dji recommends 3S with 10" props (what I run now), and in theory at max rpm the 920kv motors would overspeedthe props beyond graupner's max speed. The 30A ESCs have more than enough juice to run something bigger. At 4S, that means around 800kv or less to keep the props within spec.

Thoughts?

DesJardins

The T-motor MT-2216-10 is a 900Kv motor that many others are using as it will run 2-4S.

The MT-2212's I'm trying are a 2-3S motor at 750Kv.

kloner

Aerial DP
the 2216 are rocket ships and still "small"

doc, theres sucha difference in weights and what you carry, it all comes down to what you got, what it weighs, etc. out of the box, the 4s 8" and 3s 10" is about spot on. add anything and you start changing alot of it to where you work back to mid stick at a hover in manual

drdrums

Thanks for the input. I ask because I'm wondering what sorts of upgrades would let me increase the payload beyond DJI's listed AUW of 1.6 kilos - the ESCs at 30A have headroom to turn something bigger.

Or is it a lost cause given prop size limits on the F450 frame?

kloner

Aerial DP
your stock quad propped 4s 8" or 10" 3s is around 15-18 amps for all four motors. go up to 2.5 kilo and with 28mm motors draws 26-28 amps, all four motors. if the loads are perfectly balanced that's times four.... if the weight is one way or the other one side will draw more depending how far over.......

2.5 kilos, 28mm motors 4s 8" full forward on teh stick for minutes on end is about 70 amps divided by four esc's doing it