First FPV test flight

DesJardins

Well all I can say is I was a little shaky at first! LMAO :livid:

It was really fun even though I stayed pretty close for my first flight. If anyone is concidering flying FPV DON'T wait; it's a freakin' blast. Here are a few pics of the set-up & an unknown pic my wife snapped with her phone as she was watching me fly. She was the first to see what it looked like before I took the seat. (Had to tell her to hand over the damn goggles!!!)

Many more videos will come once I get range checks done and more comfortable with the view through the goggles. First test vid will be up in a while. (Remember I didn't go very far because I was a little chicken for my first go') :highly_amused:

GoPro Hero2
ImmersionRC GoPro HD A/V cable
ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8GHz Tx
ImmersionRC 3S 460mAh 35C Tx lipo
ImmersionRC "EZOSD" (NOT INSTALLED, struggling for room)
5.8 GHz Circular Wireless Omni Skew Planar Wheel Tx/Rx Antenna set
Fat Shark Dominator goggles & 5.8GHz Rx module

ADB76A81-8311-40C5-AB2F-F0600B756DC8-2017-000000FB6A386C72.jpg

89D205AC-02FF-4CD3-9F02-EE2874907E3F-2017-000000FB71E0B9FC.jpg

B475B917-A72E-42EE-897E-92CC6B70F81F-2744-00000169AFB40D76.jpg

FD94411A-E1F7-4DA9-8FE3-CE963C5CF6F9-2744-00000169B545B142.jpg

1FA575F8-4DE7-4527-9568-A75E91C1DBD1-2744-00000169B95DB9B7.jpg

645CB55C-4E65-4BD3-B632-F1465EF75630-2744-00000169B39C0713.jpg

1FC80549-905A-450A-BA01-B89F612D788D-2744-00000169B1C254CE.jpg

6059CA92-6B83-41E6-8B1B-81004339A1A2-2017-000000FB74EA6491.jpg

9DCFC8B8-6EB6-4D89-8245-6CCE592059FF-2744-00000169AB45E80D.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
it's intimidating but you got through poppin your cherry. you will relax, stick with it if that seemed like it could be fun cause it gets better from here.

DesJardins

it's intimidating but you got through poppin your cherry. you will relax, stick with it if that seemed like it could be fun cause it gets better from here.

Oh it was soooo much fun, I wanted to just roll out and go for distance but I knew after the $ has been spent I better keep my first test simple and make sure nothing goes wrong right off the bat.

Watching some football then I'll be charging my packs for round 2!
;-)

skipper1

That was really good, Des. Looks like you have the vibration under control, the motors sounded good and tell your wife she looks good wearing Fat Sharks.

irvan36mm

Congrats,Des!!
I'm piecing together my FPV gear & will have it in the air soon
for my maiden FPV,too. Wish me luck!!

-George

DesJardins

getting used to them motors yet?
Slowly but surely, hands down T-motors are worth the $ to me!
I really need to get the TBS frame for all the extra room, it will allow me to mount things where they make sense and not where you are limited to. Can't wait for more!'n

That was really good, Des. Looks like you have the vibration under control, the motors sounded good and tell your wife she looks good wearing Fat Sharks.
Thanks, it's surprisingly smooth hard mounted on the front tab. Oh trust me... She knows she looks good; I had to beg for the goggles after 2min so I could get my first test in. LOL

Congrats,Des!!
I'm piecing together my FPV gear & will have it in the air soon
for my maiden FPV,too. Wish me luck!!

-George
Good luck George, you'll live this shenanigans. I know there won't be much work getting done Monday because I'll be thinking about flying farther and faster as confidence and experience progress

cpmboy

I hope my FPS (1st person shooter games) experiences will give some pre-skills for my soon to come FPV experience....he he.....

BerndM

Hey DesJardins
Great work. The info you provided is exactly what I needed to jump into the FPV thing.
What vendors did you use for your FPV equipment?
Did you have any odd issues using the superwide view of the GoPro camera? I guess a lot of FPVers use a separate narrower angle view camera because the view is more realistically life sized.

DesJardins

Hey Bernd,
I'm glad my info helps! Readymaderc has great starter package and selections on options that I wanted.

For the camera since I already owned a Hero2 & space is limited on this frame I wanted the cam that could record as well as send back A/V at the same time. You can always change the view from 1080wide to 720medium or even narrow to get a more "realistic" view but I'm stubborn and want the 1080 video for after so I learned real quick the look and as long as your not flying in close areas you should be fine like I am. If you have the room and extra $ then everyone tells me to get a small FPV cam for flying.

kloner

Aerial DP
the biggest difference between board cams and gopro live feed is the ability to look at backlight and see stuff. sun in your face, but the ground still shows, more money you throw at that, the better that works...... it's not too important mid day, but morning and night a gopro heading into a sunrise/sunset is blind flyin

the pixem 690 is the best bang for the buck, same as a tbs69 without the firmware upgrade

DesJardins

Des, awesome work man! I hope to try out FPV sometime down the road. You've lit a fire under me.
Awesome! Let that fire burn
:)

the biggest difference between board cams and gopro live feed is the ability to look at backlight and see stuff. sun in your face, but the ground still shows, more money you throw at that, the better that works...... it's not too important mid day, but morning and night a gopro heading into a sunrise/sunset is blind flyin

the pixem 690 is the best bang for the buck, same as a tbs69 without the firmware upgrade
I tested a couple "straight into the horizon" views in the morning and I didn't get any saturation on the GoPro2.
There is an option to disable or enable that does cause saturation, I'll have to look and post my vids with both facing into morning sunlight to see the differences.

kloner

Aerial DP

1:15, see the cliff, watch it in the begining going the other way with light at your back..... i was totaly blind

2:00, can't see the ground

those were gopro live feed, this is a pixim 690, see how when it leaves my hand is looking at teh sunset and the ground is totaly visible

4:00

That's the only real difference. there are also board cams with really sensitive lux that'll let you fly under the moon and pretty much see everything

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
I have it however it comes default,,, but that is the general complaint/difference. These board cams have WDR and gopro live feed doesn't. The gopro used at the daves beach was sent here brand new 3 days before the even. locked up 4 times, didn't film 3 of my 6 flights...... the live feed is ok, but i much rather use the other disco with the pixim cam. There litteraly grams

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/help/questions/762/What+is+WDR?

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/p...ip-OSD-Camera-3.6mm-lens.html?setCurrencyId=1

DesJardins

Locked up!? Crazy

i'd sent it back, I would get a small FPV cam but that won't be an option until I recover from the full FPV purchase and get the TBS frame as on this little F450 frame I won't even install my EZosd for lack of room and I have enough stuff all over where I was nervous about getting a good signal to get started.

Can't wait to get that frame and block upgrade!

kloner

Aerial DP
the frame has the little mount for the cam,,,,,

When i fly around out on the river mid day, i don't notice any problems at all, but when the lights just right to make a fun flick,,, i get that and am afraid to go low when i can't see whats in front of me.......

Yea, i gotta call and ***** about this camera,,, it's crap. my old one worked great, just lost the video feed on the back like for bacpac