DJI Releases New Firmware?

atver

Yesterday DJI released 5.14 firmware. Can't tell if any changes were made when they removed the 5.14a beta firmware in their description of changes. I know their 5.14a version caused my bird to crash as well as a friends and DJI was notified about this. Has anyone tried this new update?

Thanks,
Jim

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I'm inclined to do it since I already am running 5.14a. I cant imagine this can be worse but i guess anything can happen when you go changing things in any way. Hmmm... I cant wait to sell my wookong all together and have ALL my helis on Hoverfly.

DennyR

Me too. But the last time I updated what had worked for 250 flights it tried to find culmula granite below mean sea level. Nah I'm staying put.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kilby

Every time one of these threads starts up it makes me think of this old commercial. I'm sure some of you stateside guys will know this well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dewster

I didn't see any stated difference in the new firmware. What crashes are people talking about? Is it the flip over issue?

gadget

I also had a flip and a crash on my wookong after upgrading to 5.14.
Most of my big okto is now crap incl, kamera, downlink, battery etc.
I checked all of the esc´s and motors after as well as battery voltage and they´re all ok.
F**k!!!!

This wall all under gps-mode and it wouldn´t straight up even under manual mode!

Aviator

The only update I have ever had a problem with was 5.10 I cannot remember? which fortunately didn`t cause a crash, just a change of underwear, I think I was the only Octo user with traditional receiver that managed to pull out of that one without crashing. Since and before then I have never had an issue.

gadget

Hmmm, i have maybe 50 hours of flight time with this machine and i trust it completely but this was something new.
I´m 100% sure there´s nothing wrong with anything else and i know there´s nothing wrong with the motors etc.!
The only way i can explain it is as if the wookong suddenly though that 45 degree angle was "normal".
I was about 50 meters up and managed to save it a couple of times flipping to manual but it came back to 45 degrees
every time until i slammed it in the dirt!
Normally it "self-level" if you are in manual and let go of the sticks but this was as i said before, something else.
Like a blue screen on a windows computer! :upset:

so, I just upgrade from 5.14a to 5.14. the s800 seems to be all over.. randomly actiing as if the GPS is not aligned with the magnetic course. Spent several ours hovering a low altitude trying to adjust gains.

Still at best, my yaw/tilt/roll is at 220.. it still swirls around when I let the stick to neutral. interesting thing is that it swirls different rotation randomly depends on where it is. Seems like it does not head toward the center where it seems to want to go, but swirls there till it eventually slides around 2-3 ft... and never stays still like 5.14a does.

But I have the S800 so not Octo. maybe I better turn back.

KS

gadget

so, I just upgrade from 5.14a to 5.14. the s800 seems to be all over.. randomly actiing as if the GPS is not aligned with the magnetic course. Spent several ours hovering a low altitude trying to adjust gains.

Still at best, my yaw/tilt/roll is at 220.. it still swirls around when I let the stick to neutral. interesting thing is that it swirls different rotation randomly depends on where it is. Seems like it does not head toward the center where it seems to want to go, but swirls there till it eventually slides around 2-3 ft... and never stays still like 5.14a does.

But I have the S800 so not Octo. maybe I better turn back.

KS

That´s what mine did a couple of times but more lika a pendulum motion bigger and bigger until i aborted (under gps)
The day i crashed i just calibrated the compass and thought everything was fine, obviously it wasn´t and i found out the hard way! :O(

Firmware Update 5.14 failed the install and now I'm stuck... Just today I finally decided to take the plunge and try to install the 5.14 FW update to my WKM. I am so freaked out right now because this is the first time that an update has failed to work. During the install my WKM (on the DJI S800) got to the point where it told me to cycle the power to the WKM (which I did as I have always done) and then I started to get an odd pattern of beeps from my motors, a failed install and have not been able to get the unit to do anything since. I tried to re-power then re-install the FW but it just continues to make this odd pattern of beeps with slightly twitching props with each beep. The FW install doesn't seem to do anything now... just an odd, bouncing green progress bar that ultimately fails on the install screen. I JUST got this thing to finally work for me after all of these months of issues and now I am stuck again and not sure what to do. Any ideas? I can't find any info on failed WKM FW installations anywhere thus far.

what happens when you launch with old version and try to upgrade with an older version? "essentially downgrading"?

I had same issue on one of my WKM.. and that worked for me. I am not sure it will work for you though.

KS

The problem is that the craft just beeps and won't seem to get out of this mode. Its frozen like this and won't respond to anything. I held off for a long while going to 5.14 because I am very cautious about this updates. I can't seem to find an answer anywhere so far. Thanks for your suggestion though. Man, I wish I could go back to 5.12 right about now.