Aeronavics / Droidworx What droidworx frame for +30mins flying time?

ROVguy

Ok, I've got a future project in mind which I would really like to use droidworx airframes on. The airframe would need to be able to carry a minimum of a 2 axis camera mount system, possibly the Z15 or a PH system and an NEX 5n, I know a lot of airframes can carry that at this moment in time, however I would like a flying time of at least 30 minutes. If I went with an SJ8 and loaded up with batteries would I get that?

There is another requirement but the tech isn't in place yet so I would just have to do without for the moment. <br />

Another consideration is stability in wind as well, as I could be operating in winds up to 20 mph. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Richard.

Sanderx

30 minutes with those requirements will be a tall order. A fully optimized rig which has a perfect battery to weight ratio with those requirements will give you 12 to 15 minutes max. and that will be pushing it as far as I can tell...

soundmind

30 minutes with those requirements will be a tall order. A fully optimized rig which has a perfect battery to weight ratio with those requirements will give you 12 to 15 minutes max. and that will be pushing it as far as I can tell...

Agreed...to even try and achieve that one would have to start looking at migher cell count like 8 or 10 s to drop the amp draw
spin big *** props on a super light frame (light could mean to flexible for big heavy props) and then try and fin a balance so as not to load the frame with so to many batteries that it makes it uneconomical from a battery weight point of view at some point the to much batteries actualy negatively effect flgith time purely becuase of their weight.

just my 5c

3dheliguy

Wow... If you get this running let use know. As far as I can see there is nothing out there that can fly that long and carry a zenmuse. I think the main problem is battery tech, when the battery tech gets better this will be an option. I hear the S800 can get some pretty good flight times for bock stock with zenmuse and nex system. Good luck!

ROVguy

I did initially think of the s800, but I don't particularly like the look of it, everything looks exposed and flimsy. The task I have in mind would require possibly 3 to 5 hours of flying a day for up to 30 consecutive days. By flying I mean actual airframe airtime. Hence my looking at droidworx..... parts availability and their much talked about customer support makes it a no brainer for me.

Hopefully these mysterious high capacity batteries that are being kept under wraps in the states will make there way into the commercial sector soon.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
The best flight time I have seen was a HL ADX3 Geoff built at Quadcopters. we maidend it in my yard and it flew for 15+mins if I remember right.. I am sure I published the video somewhere. I think 30mis is asking a lot with the present battery tech. Not sure what you would be flying for but that also an awful lot of pilot fatigue, let alone craft fatigue. 20mph winds are also high. I have flown my ADX3 in those kind of winds but it was not pleasant.

Dave
Found it

Also wind test

Last edited by a moderator:

3dheliguy

Yeah your talking about a lot of flight time, your going to need to buy a lot of spare parts man. I'm sure this won't be problem, if you got the right setup. The S800 with the Zenmuse would be a great user Multi for everyday use, but not for carrying anything more than T2I or similar light DSLR. Sounds like you want an Octo... DW Makes awesome frames, and they have great support every shop I know of. AD8 or new XM series would be cool.

I did initially think of the s800, but I don't particularly like the look of it, everything looks exposed and flimsy. The task I have in mind would require possibly 3 to 5 hours of flying a day for up to 30 consecutive days. By flying I mean actual airframe airtime. Hence my looking at droidworx..... parts availability and their much talked about customer support makes it a no brainer for me.

Hopefully these mysterious high capacity batteries that are being kept under wraps in the states will make there way into the commercial sector soon.

droidworx

Hiya! As everyone is indicating your 30 minutes might be a bit too stiff with current battery technology and that sort of payload. I have heard of new battery technology on its way - half the weight, twice the power... That would be good!

Generally - the lighter the better. Not sure if we score highest in that category - in fact I'm sure we don't. But as you say - it need to be durable too. The flight time record as far as we are aware is on a hexa configuration – about 40 minutes - and it was a good while ago we heard of this. There is a reason for this success on the hexa… the hexa configuration creates a perfect “donut” of thrust around the outer diameter of the craft and an extreme low pressure area in the center…which adds some rising air and some lift on the center pod. This “donut” effect is particularly prominent on the hexa I have been told...

The X3 would handle better in wind though! How important is picture quality for you? I mean - does it need to be broadcast quality or mainly functional? The lighter the camera setup the better of course...

Good exploration!

Bowley

Rich, you need to be looking at a large SRH on parallel 10S lipos to get anywhere close to even 20mins.
New battery tech sound promising though.

ROVguy

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, the reason why Im looking at extended flying times, is to reduce accumulated turnaround times between flights throughout the day. It would be a case of take-off, fly, land, change out batteries and then take-off again. If I downloaded the stills/video between flights for peace of mind, then that would possibly cover the turn-around time (I dont know how long it takes to change out the batteries).

The reason I was looking at a Droidworx frame is the ruggedness and general availability of parts and, of course, the support is supposed to be second to none. Im going by what Im reading on this forum by the way and what Im reading about Droidworx so far is very encouraging!
With regards to airframe type, thats the big question! Obviously I need to balance cost with reliability and payload capacity and usability in windy conditions. 20mph is an absolute maximum and to be honest, the operational wind speed would ideally be a lot lower if I have any say in the matter.

Recorded video does not have to be broadcast quality, however, it will probably have to be 1080P HD without any lens distortion (which rules out the likes of a GoPro) I was thinking along the lines of an NEX 5 or similar on a gimbal system, a DSLR would I think be too heavy and infringe on my flying requirement and to be honest not necessary for the quality of video I would need (of course the future client may say different). If I could manage to have something with a remotely controlled zoom facility all the better, but may be unnecessary. Until the experimental batteries come out I think I will have to resign myself to a 10 - 15 min flying time.

Bowley

Just some thought Rich, regarding cameras, I take it its more of an industrial purpose you need it for, have you thought about a CCD or 3CCD camera, it eliminates the jello efffect when you just dont have time to sort out vibration otherwise. Camcorders tend to be lighter and have better zoom capability generally and most now are 1080 50p which I think is quite important if your flying in wind, your footage may end up shaky but at least it wont suffer from motion blur so much.

Have you seen the Asctec Falcon 8? Its pricey but well proven, has redundancy, supposedly good flight times, all a range of cameras available including the NEX5. I believe its FC refresh rate is 1000Hz. compared to the 400Hz which seems to be the hobby end standard. Its is a turnkey product and it is expensive but it could get your project going quicker.

ROVguy

It would be classed as industrial work and I have considered CCD camera instead of a DSLR or similar. I must admit I didnt consider a camcorder, mainly due to the fact that Id like to be able to take stills.

I will have a look at this Falcon 8, but I suspect it will be well out of my budget.

Bowley

For stills just change cameras, Canon S95 Panasonic LX5 type of thing would be more than sufficient for industrial use disregarding the zoom of course, to be honest the zoom aint really too vital with Aerial, the whole point of it is to get a camera where you want it.