No signal when TX is powerd.

maxwelltub

Hey new to fpv and have what I hope is an easy fix. I am using a 5.8 system form range video.com. When the rx is plugged in I get static, as soon as I power up the tx I lose static and get a "no video" screen in my monitor. I am using a gopro camera for now but it doesn't matter if it's plugged in or not. When the tx and rx are on the same channel video signal to the monitor drops. Nothing not even static. Any ideas? If I move the rx to a different channel I get static again. Thanks for your help

kloner

Aerial DP
that description you gave is when the two are talking and transmit receive works. it has no video feed, yellow wire.

when i've done this, it was the gopro wire coming out of the cam being wired wrong. you need a yelow wire and a ground connected to the right ports. as i remember the tips of the plug are audio, the rear part of the 4 place plug near teh rubber is your video and ground, think part closests to rubber is ground. double check with a voltmeter and make sure the wire is wired right with a continuity test,,,,,, back place should beep when you touch the black or brown wire at the tx,,,, next one up should beep at the yellow wire, anything else won't work

maxwelltub

Dammit, didn't work. The ground is the wire is wrapped around the yellow video wire coming out of the gopro right? Also I'm using a tvlogic monitor, used for cinema and dslr video, so when the no video appears on the screen it's the same as no signal. So when the tx is off the rx is still sending a static signal to the monitor. But regardless of the camera being plugged in or not as soon as the tx gets power the rx stops sending static or any single. Strange?

kloner

Aerial DP
i'm not sure about the description about how it comes out. i've had gopro wires that had it all different colors. get me some pictures of the wires, might check continuity of the gopro plug..... is it plugged into the top hole? pictures of it will probably find it

maxwelltub

Ok so out of the gopro there is a yellow wire for video, and a red and white for audio (which i am not using). wrapped around the yellow video wire out of the gopro is a ground wire. Here is a photo of the yellow wire wrapped in a ground wire, the ground wire from the gopro is soldered to a green wire that carries it to the transmitter. Again the "no video" message is from the monitor and is the same message it gives when the source was turned off or unplugged. Thanks for your help.

View attachment 6369

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 303

kloner

Aerial DP
ok, the shield is what your calling wrapped, sorry. i'd peel that black cover back a little further and make sure there isn't a short where the wires melt the plastic from soldering. i see it on the yellow wire, melted it pretty good. if that's for sure not shorting, just make sure the yellow wire is the 2nd flat on the plug in front of the plastic grip. A volt meter, thing that shows volts in numbers has a beep mode where you touch the tips and it beeps. put one on one wire, other on another and if it is the same, it beeps....... continuity test. I can sit here and tell ya, yea looks great, but without knowing where they all are on the plug can't absolutely rule out it's not the yellow wire. I've bought 6 of these go pro plugs from readymade and every single time the wire and the plug don't correspond to normal a/v color coding

If you can confirm which pins are connected to the yellow/shield you have there and still no worky, i'd want to see where any other connections you made or where the wires go into the vtx....... it all has an antenna connected i hope... never fire this thing up without one. show me anything else there is so we cn go over it all.

just so i asked, that shield and the green are soldered really well right? it's not just that little blob touching a tiny piece of the shield wire? the pic is a weird angle...... gotta make sure

EDIT:
one other thing before anything else,,,,, pull the plug from the go pro, push it back in,,,do it a few times just to make sure it's going all the way in. Get me a pic of the plug in the cam too if it doesn't work and we keep going

maxwelltub

Well, today Kloner you can call me an moron. I was looking at the 5 pin backwards when soldering. So I thought I was looking at the ground being all the way to the right, but it was backwards so I was soldering a to the pin all the way to the left. Works now, thanks for helping me work through that.