Running Duel 2200 mah batteries in parallel, does that make it a 4400 mah?

kloner

Aerial DP
like i mentioned, it works great as long as you don't mix up your charged and not so charged packs as you fly..... I got a box of like 20 packs,,, about the third flight in i have no idea whats charged and not charged so my situation is a little different, i think

gencode

Both were charged when the voltage sensor went out, in case i confused you what i meant is I was just worried that having 2 battery packs may harm the EzOSD, I started running parallel after we talked and so far its great.

Ill just reorder the Ez, thanks again, Ed,

like i mentioned, it works great as long as you don't mix up your charged and not so charged packs as you fly..... I got a box of like 20 packs,,, about the third flight in i have no idea whats charged and not charged so my situation is a little different, i think

gencode

Kloner,

Well I got the new EzOSD and the voltage reads 16.8, sounds okay except my Spectrum TM1000 is reporting 16.5...which one to believe, somehow after all that bad readings from the Ez I have a hard time trusting the Ez anymore.

I really need to pick up a DVOM, ill try to get one tomorrow :)

SamaraMedia

On a similar note, I'm running two Venom 5000 mah 4s 35C packs on a F550, NAZA, NTM series 28-36 750 kv motors, Turnigy 25A Plush ESC's, PhotoHigher AV130, Sony HDR-CX 580 video camera and 11x4.5 props, GVW is 3666 grams. According to eCalc I should be getting about 7.15 minutes of hard flight or 12 minutes of hover flight. I getting about 5 minutes of flight time before the LVT of the NAZA starts to blink red signaling me to land soon. I get about 7 minutes at best of flight before I feel nervous about landing. When I charge the batteries here are the readings I'm getting on the Trinton EQ (ElectriFly) charger: at the start bat. #1 - 15.79v, 3.1A, when complete readings are 16.79v, 01751 mah replaced. Bat #2 - 15.79v, 3.1A, when complete 16.79v, 1732 mah replaced. Charge time is just about one hour and sometimes the charge has ended I get a reading of 248ma instead of 0ma which makes me think the battery still needs to be charged.

I'm not too familiar with all the voltage usage rates for these LiPo batteries but it seems to me that they are not being depleted enough to take advantage of the juice available. What percentage of the total mah should be used on a pack this size? When I was running a of 2200mah pack on my HoverThings quad it seemed like they were pumping almost the same amount back into the battery after a flight and I could sense the batteries were at their end because the quad would begin to de-stabilize and need to be landed. I've read here that some are disabling the LVT setting on the NAZA in the assistant and I'm wondering if that is something I should do and rely on setting my timer on my tx instead. What kind of low voltage alarm would you recommend?

Thanks,

John

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
OMG, 10k mah, sweet. You shouild try flying one pack and see if you gain flight time

to your question...... when you finish a pack, it should be no less than 3.3 volt a cell, i prefer 3.8 but that's less than a minute of flight so it's a small window to shoot for. the max should be 16.8 for the whole pack. When you put stress on the packs, there voltage drops, alot. lower the c rating, the more that drop is. called voltage sag. as a pack gets damaged it's ir goes up and it's c rating drops..... when this starts the sag gets even worse, pretty much makes this voltage thing they got in these things junk cause some packs are worse than others and will prematurely land ya where you don't want to be....

the uneven discharge is normal.... that pack has less resistance. used to see that all the time in my 12s helis

SamaraMedia

I started with one GensAce 5300 mah 4s 30c battery but one crapped out after one use and the replacement was damaged from the get go, one cell was dead. I was getting about 3-4 minutes of flight before the dreaded blinking red light of the NAZA kicked in so that's why I wanted to run 2 packs in parallel.

So at 3.1A am I draining more than I should be on these packs per flight?

gencode

The default values loaded for landing red light is 4.7 and force land @ 4.1

I am no longer using either of these and the NAZA Voltage checks have been shut off, and only using my EzOSD+Spektrum TM1000 telemetry alarms. Ez flashes and the DX8 Beeps.

Should I still be landing @4.7 when the Ez or DX8 alarm goes off? I assume yes, or do I have a little more time now with the duel batteries?

gencode

Opps, guess I missed the 1 :)
1 Warning is 15.40 v, loss 0.70 causing red light 14.7
2 Warning is 14.8v, loss 0.70 causing force land 14.1

My question is do I need to land @14.7 now that I have duel batteries and turned off the voltage check on the NAZA or can I go to say 14.5 and still be pretty safe.

kloner

Aerial DP
I have 40c packs and draw 60 amps so i'm a little different probably, but i hit the ground at 14.1-14.3 and when i kill the motors, it's 14.7-14.8... it's voltage sag and every pack handles a load different. That's why this part of naza sucks IMO. It put me on the ground twice. it's a better deal when you have esc's that lvc, it helps land it before one just shuts off. DJI esc's run till the battery is on fire......

Chalagi

What is the wiring setup for a parallel battery? I know what the series looks like but never ran a parallel.

gencode

1) So your saying with NAZA-M voltage safety off I can go all the way to 14.3 as long at motor stop the voltage is still 14.7, assuming my voltage sag is the same, and to get that voltage sag I should get the difference of landing voltage and props stop voltage after landing.

2) On another note I did another flight, and the voltage on the TM1000 was still reading lower than the EzOSD pretty consistently, they never leveled out, so when I got home I got a multimeeter and read the voltage 4 different ways

1) Multimeter came in at 15.6
2) Used the NAZA assistant 15.6
3) EzOSD 15.5
4) TM1000 15.1

So I guess the TM1000 is pretty far off, but the Ez is pretty accetable

I have 40c packs and draw 60 amps so i'm a little different probably, but i hit the ground at 14.1-14.3 and when i kill the motors, it's 14.7-14.8... it's voltage sag and every pack handles a load different. That's why this part of naza sucks IMO. It put me on the ground twice. it's a better deal when you have esc's that lvc, it helps land it before one just shuts off. DJI esc's run till the battery is on fire......

Last edited by a moderator: