Hamer X4 - Ultimate Kopter for Filming Industry

DennyR

Well that was a waste of 6:48-worth of my morning ;) - nothing about AP in there! I assume you just meant "single rotor"?

I did not mean SR as this thread seems to be discussing the merits of a heavy lift X8. I am talking about highly developed machines that can out fly and out lift any MR. and do it RELIABLY. Their are no totally reliable MR's Yet.

I thought that was a well produced entertaining modeling video - As one who has yet to stun us all with even one aerial still you seem to be rather critical I would say. Perhaps you should invest another 6:48 You may learn something.

I have spent the last two months training people to become AP pros. They start off in the simulator. After about 6 hrs they are ready to go and fly one of my MR machines and can then start the course.

None of the students could in that time reach the standard where they could fly a SR to a totally safe standard. This is probably the one and only logical (WHY) reason for making MR's. IMHO.

If one were to place the possibilities and probabilities of a crash occurring during filming with a aerial platform over a 12 month period. I would guess that the SR has a 5% chance due to pilot error and a MR 60% due to mechanical/electrical failure.

Last edited by a moderator:

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
!8% overlap.. or 40% overlap. could you please explain. Does this mean a coaxial with a bigger prop on one than on the other?

I tested with an 18% overlap, and showed a much lower amount of efficiency loss than coaxial. Theoretically, you can get up to a 40% overlap before you start to lose efficiency. In fact, the theory (using a whole lot of complicated math) shows that you could actually have *more* thrust with 20-30% overlap than with the props fully spread.

I suspect the efficiency loss for the overlap in my testing might be closer to 0, because my single motor test was just that, a single motor, and then I simply doubled the thrust and energy numbers to do the comparison. But I'm not sure that was actually a fair test, because the power system might have been more efficient at supplying the single motor, than two. ie: the voltage drop through the battery would be lower when supplying half the power, thus, voltage supplied to the motor would be higher, making it more efficient. What I really need to do is test two motors running simultaneously, with a full spread. And then run with the overlap.

In fact I did do this test. But with a hitch. I was using a nice digital servo tester, with PWM readout to drive the ESC's. But it died just as I was setting up for the two-motor-full-spread test. :( I then used an analog servo tester to drive the ESC's, but I couldn't see the actual PWM number. What I did was try to match the watts being consumed during each step of the overlap test, and then record the thrust being produced. This test did show what I suspected. That running like this, the overall system efficiency was very close to that of the overlapping test. But I didn't think it fair to present the data since it was using a completely different method.

There were a few other issues with the test. With a single 4S 5000 battery supplying a single motor, the voltage drop on the battery was not realistic (it was lower than it would be with my planned 2 batteries for 8 motors). This meant during the single motor test, it was overloading, and I had to stop at 1800 PWM. This confirms my thoughts above about the single motor test being more efficient. Therefore, I limited all the tests to 1800 PWM. So it doesn't cover the full load, though really you should never fly over 80% anyway, because you need the top 20% for stabilization. Frankly I think you shouldn't go over 50% or you start to seriously jeopardize your ability to withstand a motor failure.

I originally thought the inability to run at 2000 PWM with the 13" props showed that the eCalc was not accurate. Now I realize that's not true. The number of motors per battery is a critical part of the equation, because it determines to voltage drop within the battery. The voltage getting to the motor depends quite strongly on the number of cells providing the power. eCalc actually shows this very clearly. For a given setup, as you increase the number of cells, the motor power goes up. I didn't fully understand this at the time. Now I do.

Duh, umm, eh?

The typically quoted figure for efficiency loss with coaxial motors is 20-30%. I tested it and found it to be about 20-25%.

However, there is further analytical theory, that much of the coaxial efficiency loss can be re-gained by increasing the pitch of the bottom props. Say, run a 12x4.5 on top, and a 12x6 on the bottom. This is because the airstream entering the bottom propeller has a much higher vertical velocity than that on top.

Very interesting. I was always curious about prop overlap and will it actually work. Man you'd have a much smaller octo. I may test this soon by simply shortening the booms and rotating every other arm so that 4 motors ae facing upward and 4 are facing ground.

That's *exactly* what I was planning to do. However, as MombasaFlash pointed out, the problem is with the motors getting in the picture. It's hard to escape this, and is why the design really won't work. However, there is another method. I tested both with the "motor flipped upside down" method, and then I also had them both pointed "up", but with one of them mounted on 30mm aluminum spacers. I couldn't really detect any difference in performance or any other distinguishing difference. You can see this as pictured below. The only downside is that it looks a bit ugly.

View attachment 6266

So, currently my octo design has a motor diameter of 950mm, which is typical of 12" prop machines. It's huge, and I didn't design it to fold. However, if I go with a 20% overlap, I can shrink the diameter to 630mm which obviously has a huge advantage. I'm only uncertain about the flight stability with the smaller diameter. The advantage of the smaller size also brings with it overall airframe stiffness.

Attachments

• DSC00534.jpg
    DSC00534.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 157

DennyR

Rob
An interesting set of figures. I am wondering however what effect having more pitch on the lower blades has on Yaw stability.

flytofly

Thanks for the info RLefebvre..very valuable. I'm looking to keep the octo's diameter the same as my hexa with 13" props which is approx 760mm. Would it be possible to figure out the required amount of overlap for the octo with these numbers?

jes1111

Ok, just a communication breakdown - the implication was that the video contained something relevant to the discussion :)

Not sure what you think I'm being "rather critical" of, Denny - and as to "stunning" you all, I don't feel the need to prove anything to anyone in that way - should I? ;)

I did not mean SR as this thread seems to be discussing the merits of a heavy lift X8. I am talking about highly developed machines that can out fly and out lift any MR. and do it RELIABLY. Their are no totally reliable MR's Yet.

I thought that was a well produced entertaining modeling video - As one who has yet to stun us all with even one aerial still you seem to be rather critical I would say. Perhaps you should invest another 6:48 You may learn something.

I have spent the last two months training people to become AP pros. They start off in the simulator. After about 6 hrs they are ready to go and fly one of my MR machines and can then start the course.

None of the students could in that time reach the standard where they could fly a SR to a totally safe standard. This is probably the one and only logical (WHY) reason for making MR's. IMHO.

If one were to place the possibilities and probabilities of a crash occurring during filming with a aerial platform over a 12 month period. I would guess that the SR has a 5% chance due to pilot error and a MR 60% due to mechanical/electrical failure.

Last edited by a moderator:

jes1111

Rob - interesting stuff - but I don't think it's fair to divert this thread with this material - perhaps start a new thread to disclose and discuss this very interesting research?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Yawn... most boring video ever.. sorry Denny I dont see the point but anyway.. Can we please stick to the thread topic and that was the X8 heavy lift multi rotor that Kopterworx has built. Thanks Jes for asking for a new thread on the efficiency topic which I see has been started and very interesting to.

Dave

3dheliguy

Yeah, I enjoy there enthusiasm for the industry, but as technology evolves it usually doesn't get larger it get smaller like the black magic verse Red one. There going for similar imaging but much more compact and less weight I believe.

I also understand these guys can probably find buyers no problem, and what we say really doesnt make any difference at all, but it's nice to see people thinking about the safety of this hobby.

It's just like everything else publicity..publicity..publicity. So if you want to carry this kind of load, and basically these are lethal amounts of payload, and power systems, then why go through all the headache, and just buy a 1000mm SRH, it would be able to fly faster carry the same or close to, and fly for longer on Gasoline. Awe anyways I do like the machine for sure, they did some real testing here, and I see there starting to us the Wookong a lot more I wonder WHY? But hey to each there own.