Sony Action Cam w/ WiFi - GoPro killer?

Kilby

I don't know if any of you have seen this yet, but Sony is jumping head first into the action sports camera arena. Their first set of offerings include 2 versions of the same camera, one with built in wifi and the second without. The non-wifi model starts at $199 with the wifi enabled version set @ $270. It's got a 16mp sensor and does 1080 @ 30 fps & 720 @ 120 fps. The interesting thing to me is that they include wifi for $30 less than GoPro charges for just their basic kit, plus they seem to already have their mobile apps ready for launch where GoPro has been lagging behind for months with their Android and iOS offerings.

Have a look at this review on engadget.com and be sure to check out the video at the bottom of the page.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/29/sony-action-cam-hands-on/

-Terry

kloner

Aerial DP
zeis lens, Wish it was regular cam format than a vid cam looking shape.

what do you think? seems like the hd mode looks way better is the darker environments. color and detail look good. Did i see something about a stabilizer on the side? is it cmos? wonder about jello

man, i'm wanting a new camera bad........ the size is right, but doesn't it still have that gopro look?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
it's all going to be ancient history before much longer.......

my son's friend's dad is an engineer with Verizon (don't all good stories start out this way?). he told me that there's a cell tower protocol in development that will be built into future cameras allowing them to stream directly through the cell networks. tv station crews won't need the vans and satellite dishes anymore and i'd guess it won't be long before we're streaming our stuff to the internet and viewing it the same way through a laptop or tablet device.

what does the wifi feature get you with the Sony?

kloner

Aerial DP
the 5r one above is doing that through your phone towards the end of the video.

that's a nice camera

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I wonder what the range is like on these wifi enabled cameras?

The Sony Action cam definitely has the super wide angle almost-fisheye look of the Gopro. I'm sick of it. I get nauseated watching videos like that. It works if you're actually using it for an action cam (ie: strapped to a kayak) but it is driving me nuts seen aerial video shot with it.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Dont see a AV out! Useless if it has only got HDMI. Also the connections are on the bottome which will make it pretty much impossible to use for recording and FPV.

tstrike

pendejo grande
I saw that, but those are two completely different classes of camera. $650 for just the body of the 5r and $270 for everything with the Action Cam.
The action cam has some nice features like the 180fps 720 feature and some form of image stab. Would be cool to mount a servo wheel to the side of the case and have a quick and dirty tilt gimbal. I like the quarter 20 thread built in but the lack of access to plugs through the bottom sucks, I guess you could skeletonize the case some how but you'd lose the quarter 20. They didn't talk about still camera capabilities though, like does it have intervelometer settings? A few more features then the current gp2 but all accessories are priced higher. Meh, it's all crash fodder anyway.