NEX 5n video editing on a Mac

Kilby

So I just picked up an NEX 5n, and I'm a little lost about the video format I should be using. Ideally, I'd use the AVCHD 60fps @ 1080, but Final Cut Pro, or any of my editing software on the Mac for that matter, don't seem to much care for it.

Can anyone shed a little light on this topic for me? How are you doing video with your NEX and then editing it on a Mac?

Thanks,
Terry

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
i use VLC to preview clips. For editing i use Premiere Pro and After Effects. And yes, Premiere has an AVCHD 1080/60p setting.

nicwilke

What version of final cut are you using?
FCPX works fine, just import from camera (locate the SD card) but FCP7, use the log and transfer feature. Locate the SD card, and select clips to ingest.
To conform the clips to half speed, you will need another bit of software if you arent using FCPX. I now use both, but mainly FCPX as you can import and retime the clip to 50% for buttery smooth slow motion.

Jodde73

The latest version of FCPX imports AVCHD directly. I use the first version of FCPX that does not. I use the excellent free program Media Converter to "Re-wrap AVCHD for Quicktime" it's not a conversion, just a re-wrapping and it's very quick (seconds). The output is a mac friendly .mov format. But there is one trick. You have to go to preferences (in MediaConverter), then presets, then "get more presets" and download "Re-wrap AVCHD for Quicktime uncompressed audio". After choosing this preset it will always be on startup. Just drag drop the .MTS (AVCHD) files from the camera (they are hidden under "private"/"stream" depends of what cam) into MC window and you are ready to import to FCP. Very quick and easy when you know how to do it.
You can preview the .MTS (AVCHD) files directly in the built in preview, but it's sluggish if you don't own a MacPro.

Kilby

That explains it, Jodde73. I'm using the first version of FCPX. I'll try your recommendation, or update the app. One or the other. ;-)

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
The latest version of FCPX imports AVCHD directly. I use the first version of FCPX that does not. I use the excellent free program Media Converter to "Re-wrap AVCHD for Quicktime" it's not a conversion, just a re-wrapping and it's very quick (seconds). The output is a mac friendly .mov format. But there is one trick. You have to go to preferences (in MediaConverter), then presets, then "get more presets" and download "Re-wrap AVCHD for Quicktime uncompressed audio". After choosing this preset it will always be on startup. Just drag drop the .MTS (AVCHD) files from the camera (they are hidden under "private"/"stream" depends of what cam) into MC window and you are ready to import to FCP. Very quick and easy when you know how to do it.
You can preview the .MTS (AVCHD) files directly in the built in preview, but it's sluggish if you don't own a MacPro.

Will this work with the Sony CX730 files coz my up todate FCPX wont see the camera. I have gone down the 'ClickWrap' road as it will re-wrap them only or convert to apple prores

Dave

Jodde73

ClipWrap will do the same (I tried the moustache man) but for some reason it failed in some cases, that was why I found MC (after some forum browsing).
Don't know why Sony have to bury the files deep down a folder jungle. Like the menus, Canon is so much more straight forward and intuitive. But I guess the best video quality wins in the end...