FUTABA 8FG RADIO on DJI 550 Hex

I have been looking everywhere for help and I was told to join your forum and see if I couild find my support here. So here goes

when I start the everything up..I begin to spool or throttle up for take off in Atti mode. I CAN NOT take off in atti mode because when I do try it has no power..BUT ..when I take off in Manual I have no problem taking off except it to touchy for me to fly in Manual mode. So my question is...can anybody show me or direct me on HOW TO change the settings on the Futaba 8fg radio?

I think it might have something to do with the gains but I don't know how to do it..Im not familiar with Futaba...yes I know "then why did I get it"? well because it was a good deal and because I thought I could make the jump from spektrum to futaba with out to much trouble...yep I was wrong...anyway PLEASE HELP.

I'm trying to do it but I'm to tired and frustrated to continue to do this on my own..thank you to all for any help you might be able to offer...thank you everyone

PEte

kloner

Aerial DP
I fly a naza and have used both radios on the same units, have gone through 4 of them now. They have all done how you explain, i just leave in manual, have since i got it last december and have since. i sw somebody post something about bringing it to an idle and stiring the right stick to make all the motor rev one at a time..... said it takes off great.

I got past all the quirks, they fly too good to worry about it for me. it's a habit now, don't even notice. if your manual gains are right, your craft will pop straight up anyways. as long as you just flip the switch, it'll settle into a self level hover the second you hit it.

Futaba 8 and 550 DJI

Yes I did ...but the settings were deleted ...but since the last time I had gone on here to ask for help..I continued to search around for some sort of guide for me to follow and I think I found a way..or solution...which is..to go into the wookong assist and in autopilot adjust my gains there..right now they are all at 100 percent at least I know I need to go up from there to get the results I want in Atti mode and GPS mode....anway I think this might be the course of action I need to take...could anybody tell me if this is correct?....

I don't even get the chance to enjoy the hover..as you described..I used to jump right into it and as soon as it got to settle I would flip the switch and go into Atti mode but if I do that now I will drop like a rock I used to just stay in Atti mode all the time unless I was recording something in detail then I would jump into GPS...do my scan and "Return Home"...Ahh yes the good old days....hehe

Well anyways I'm still searching to get the percentages for the gains and I think when I find those and chnge them..then it should be safe enough for me to fly again

Yes I did...everything moved like it was supposed to move if you know what I mean...rudder,pitch and yaw...ect ect..the sliders looked like they were supposed to look ...but as far as getting into the radio and programming the curves and throttles...nope I didn't do that because I didn't know how to do it...thats why I'm asking for help on this...hopefully I will be able to learn something and troubleshoot myself and not depend on people to do it for me...I feel like its not even mine anymore once they do that...but don't get me wrong..I'm very grateful but because of that reason..I don't know how to configure it properly in order for me to fly

Okay..update

I still can't get it up...."THATS WHAT SHE SAID" okay now that we have that out of the way...Im still not able to spool it up in atti mode..does anybody know what the rates are for atti mode and where would I change them?? I'm going to throw this one in the fire to...this is so frustrating God please give me more patience....arrrgggh!

Here is a thought...$50 bucks to the person who can help me with this and with that $50 I will add a cup of coffee with that

774-565-0055

kloner

Aerial DP
Are you able to fly in manual? if you can, lets try something, pick it up and hover it, come back and show us where the throttle sits when it hovers. have somebody look if your not comftorable looking away from the craft.

what kind of charger do you have? is there any way to look at the internal resistance of the packs or make us a video that shows the led when your trying to lift off with a fresh pack

Last edited by a moderator:

I can hover and it takes very little...about 25% throttle...I will see about finding a camera for this..the computer that I am at doesn't have Admin rights so I can't record or burn anything...SE switch is all the way forward and SA in forward and all the others are forward..left throlttle is at zero percent when I power up...after about ten seconds I start moving throttle upwards or away from me and motors respond excellent..the right stick..pitch & yaw is very very very touchy and you have to be very careful with controls .

at that point I attempt to throw SE switch to Poss.2 or center ...or 2 of 3 pos. and I loose power to about ten percent at which time I panic and throw it into manual and just push the throttle away from me very very very easy because its very sensitive in Manual mode.

Let me explain what I did with a different ship and radio both are the same as the one we are talking about...I have two 550 DJI hex..so anyway I went into the throttle mix menu and changed Rudder/Ailleron/Elevator to the following

rud=125
expo=0
Ele=57
expo=10
Alr=57
expo10

after changing that...I turned it off and turned it back on then powerd the hex up and noticed that it wouldn't start in Manual or Atti but it does turn on in GPS mode...and then when I was in GPS mode I flipped the SE switch to Atti mode #2 and noticed that throttle was acting like manual but not as touchy..does that make any sense...or am I making any sense...I know I know I screwed it all up...this is so freaken bad..I'm going to lose this job because of all this...its my fault for not explaining myself to the DJI people and asking them for trainging...this is NOT an airplane...anywho...I'm not touching it anymore until I know what to do...to bad there isn't a way to just download settings and copy and past them on to a card and install the settings from the card...okay I have to call my family doctor for some valium and whisky....to much stress...I have less stress working with fire lit fuses and blasting caps...hahahhaa

kloner

Aerial DP
you don't want to mess with rates, at least not to something that's not working in the first place. for eny electronic controller that you calibrate at one rate then use at another is gonna be moody as hell. if you want a less sensitive stick, you can make second rate to change into once it's booted up. Gains are everything to make it touchy or not. have you read the manual about setting gains?

25% manual throttle to hover is alot of your problem. i just went through this with a guy that took forever to explain. if your hovering at 25% in manual, atti if calibrated with mid stick at half way when you hit finish will hover at exactly mid stick. so, you fire it up and it's all light at 25% then hit atti, 25% becomes come on down baby cause it takes half throttle on the nose to hover in atti/gps. so not only are you seeing how a dji controller behaves a little off, the setup is so far off your getting false symptoms........

what props and batteries is on it? is it setup with what weight it'll fly later or is it missing a nex5 or something?

I'm using the DJI 10" black props that came with it...the battery is "EX G' LiPo 3s/11.1V 5000mAh the only weight on it is the battery and wookong M and a data link

there isn't any weight on it

Pete

kloner

Aerial DP
right, but tomorrow when i get this flying for ya, what are you adding? if nothing, put the 8" props that came with it on and tell me what that hover throttle is at throttle wise.

your motors when naza takes over aren't enough "in the throttle" to make it fly right, we gotta get your throttle up alot ad manual hover to work perfect.

If you put a wine bottle under your 550 and try balancing the multi rotor on top, will it sit up there with the bottle in the middle or is it fore or aft?

I'm putting on a gopro and a lidar camera adapter with ezUHF and OSD...but that isn't going on untill I understand the channels and which one goes to what..because if I want to extend the range I will have to switch over to the EZUHF...Oh yea if you noticed I sent you a cartoon sketch of what it looks like right now..kind of...anyway the landing gear is from the landing platform for a rocket kit I super glued and drilled a hole and installed a screw and nut to hold it..I will find a camera in the morning and take a pic to send it to you..but for now there is going to be a gopro camera with battery..oops and a hand made transmitter at 2.4 ghz to transmit video on the #1 ship that one has the camera and trans. on it and it flies great...but that one is on a DX8...okay thats it nothing else..:)

I'm a Land Surveyor and I have been using the copters for topo and asbuilts and a whole bunch of other mapping data. I will share more tomorrow

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 275

kloner

Aerial DP
soooooo, we went from a wobbly take off in atti to you don;t know what channels do what? i'm confused again

i was trying to make it fly right, in order to do so it has to be setup cause when your all done and add weight your starting over

it's not taking off cause when atti gets ahold of a quarter throttle hover, it can't move the throttle up and down fast enough to deal with anything. like hitting a hill in 12th gear, needs more room for the throttle to be happy. it'll work the crap out of your esc's too. Your so over propped now it's not funny, add a couple hundred grams and it'll go teh other way

Channels on futaba are in your manual.

1=ail
2=ele
3=throttle
4=rud
5=x1
6=x2
7=mode
for a naza,,,,, the only ones that can deviate would be after the first main 4

irvan36mm

Rocketman- I also fly a F550, but w/ the Naza (no GPS) instead of the WKM.
I also stepped-up to the 8FG Super from the 6EX radio, but haven't begun to work w/ it yet.
After looking at the WKM manual from the DJI website, I noticed that the setup in the Assistant is very similar to the Naza,save for a few more detailed
motor tuning options. So, I don't know if it is correct to assume that setting up a WKM is the same as the Naza. Forgive me if I am incorrect. LOL

I do know this: on my 6EX radio, I have tried to set different tuning options such as dual rate & expo in order to
"personalise" the controls to my liking. But when doing this, my Naza does not seem to like this too much.
Nor does it like excessive trims, either. The motors simply will not arm.
Even after changing the dual rates,expos and recalibrating the sticks in Assistant, the motors will not arm.
Put everything back to zero and everythings fine.
I don't know if the 8FGS will do this either, but I'm thinking this is probably what's going on w/ yours.

Again,I don't have the WKM-just the Naza, so I am going to shoot in the dark with this suggestion:
On your radio, reset all of the trims,dual rates& expos back to zero.
Reset all of the Aileron,Rudder & Elevator endpoints to 100%.
Then hook up the F550 to your computer & start the WKM assistant.

On the WKM assistant, try the default settings in the Motor Mixer section by
hitting the "Default" button there.
Recalibrate the sticks and set your GPS and Fail-Safe switches however you want it
in "Tx Monitor" & select "Write" to save the settings.
After doing those,check & see how your F550 does.

IMO, I would leave the radio settings alone & play w/ the gain settings in the WKM instead
until you find a setting your comfortable with.
Like Kloner said earlier,the gains is everything. This will dictate how mellow or how touchy your 550/WKM
will respond to control inputs from the sticks. I plan on using either the 2 knobs on the front or the 2 slide
switches on the back of the radio for adjusting gains on-the-fly when I get my 8FGS setup.

Hope this helps!!
-George

Last edited by a moderator:

When I got my 8fg super out of the box, check your futaba condition. I had similar issues, but is was my yaw settings. When I flipped my mode, Man/ATTI/GPS, my conditions was set differently... each condition (IDLE1, IDLE2, IDLE3, Normal) would have different settings. Reference Page 39 in the manual for more details.

I just removed all and just only have 1 settings now.

I hope yours is the same.

Regards,

KS