ZAxis

brilliant work Dave.
You've really got that thing dialled in!
looking forward to more (flying not flooding)
Lec

SamaraMedia

Aerial MOB on set in Sedona National Forest under permit from the United States dept of Forestry to do aerial video from uav..... we took advantage of the oppurtunity.

there was alot more but this was some of our favorites

20140220113322-56b2530b-la.jpg

20140220113545-41e516c2-la.jpg

So what was the process like to get the Forestry service to give you a permit to film with a UAV on this project? Did you go through the process or did the client?

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
the client got the cert from the location manager and his connections. They tried flying a jib with a red and stuffed it, so we got the pleasure of going in and flying what we wanted to pull it off safely so they can have footage, we chose gh3 cause it was 6000 feet elevation. there is a list of cant's a mile long. It is part of a pilot program with an association were affiliated with as well as the faa and the usda. i'm sure we were watched from all over. I did great, landed on a table, made minimal impact on the area and didn't crash...... that's all they could ask for

We got another one permited to fly in the grand canyon..... legaly

kloner

Aerial DP
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTUREForest Service
TEMPORARY SPECIAL - USE PERMIT(FSH 2709.11, sec. 54.6)AUTHORITY:
ACT OF MAY 26, 2000, PL 106-206 May 26, 2000

TO CONDUCT FILMING FOR HARVARD BUSINESS SCHOOL VIDEO, INERVIEWING MARK T, OF THENATURE CONSREVANCY ON FEBRUARY 17, 2014 WITH A CREW OF 4 PEOPLE, AND FEBRUARY 18-19, 2014WITH A CREW OF 15-17 PEOPLE. SHOTS ON FEBRUARY 17 WILL BE SCENERY WITH THE DRONE AT FORESTROAD 525D AND TAYLOR TANK AREA. DO NOT INTERFERE WITH THE PUBLIC OR TOURS. DO NOT FLY DRONEOVER ANTELOPE OR OTHER WILDLIFE THAT MAY BE USING THE TANK IN THESE AREAS. PARK WITHIN AVEHICLE LENGTH OF DESIGNATED ROADS IN THIS AREA. SHOTS ON FEBRUARY 18-19 INCLUDE SCENERYAND PERSON HIKING AND INTERVIEW ON SCHNEBLY HILL ROAD AT MERRY GO ROUND AND COWPIES ROCKAREA. SHOTS WILL INCLUDE USE OF A DRONE WITH A CAMERA WHEN OTHER USERS ARE NOT WTIHIN 100FEET. DRONE WILL NOT FLY CLOSE TO HIGHER PINNACLES NEAR THE MITTEN RIDGE AREA. KEEP VEHICLESTO MINIMUM NEEDED FOR SHOTS. THE CUBE TRUCK CAN PARK AT THE HUCKABY TRAILHEAD. DO NOTINTERFERE WITH PUBLIC USE OR TOUR USES IN THESE AREAS. LEAVE PARKING AVAILABLE FOR PUBLICAND TOUR USE. DO NOT BLOCK ROADS AT ANY TIME.

something like that with a lot of other details.... This is the second time in 6 months we've flown with a permit from other than the faa, but they are aware of it

SamaraMedia

Interesting. I'm located in CT and have tried to keep a low profile on what I'm trying to do in this industry but recent events here have provoked a little interest and or controversy of "Drones". I work for a newspaper as a photojournalist and have had a few occasions to film certain situations but have turned them down due to the FAA "fear factor". Here are a couple of references to what is going on here. It started a couple weeks back when a volunteer fire police office used his P2 to film a fire at a quarry where the FD was concerned that explosives were in close proximity to the flames. I was on vacation in the Caribbean (oh how sweet it was) and the paper used a reader submitted (fire police officer) photo and video on our website. About a week later a part-time Vj for a local news station was on the scene of an fatal auto accident when he decided to launch his P2 for some footage. The local police told him to bring it down and told him he was in violation of FAA rules so they detained him and gave him some s***. He has since hired a lawyer and is suing the PD for violating his civil rights to operate the uav as a hobbyist. He was not working for the TV station at the time but the police still harassed him.

On Monday or state judicial committee is having a hearing on the AN ACT CONCERNING USE OF UNMANNED AIRCRAFT. (JUD)
photo
. I plan on attending and maybe bringing my quads as an educational tool. I've been very low key to this point but feel that it's time that we let our legislators know they need not fear all "drones".

Here are a few links to stories I referred to:

http://www.courant.com/news/politics/hc-first-drone-bill-20140222,0,5364876.story
http://www.courant.com/community/hartford/hc-hartford-drone-lawsuit-0219-20140218,0,6452282.story
http://www.courant.com/community/hartford/hc-hartford-wfsb-drone-0208-20140207,0,6115392.story
http://www.courant.com/community/branford/hc-branford-quarry-fire-0131-20140130,0,2402826.story

Wish me luck!

John

kloner

Aerial DP
yea, i'm filming closed sets, you and i are gonna wind up with a whole different set of rules. We are feature film, advertising, etc..... journalist, real estate, surveilance are gonna be a while off yet.

SamaraMedia

Agreed. I'm in the journalistic field now but everyone knows (including me) that we are one step closer to the grave. I hope to transition from the news to advertising, real estate, film and many of the other fields opened by this medium and monitoring what our friends in the gov have in mind is part of it. I don't expect to be flying a RED anytime soon but there are plenty of opportunities for solo operators that open up everyday. Keeping up with members on this forum is a challenge but it is also inspiring to see the work that you pros are doing day in and day out. Gives me hope for what is possible.

cbuk

Well its a windy no-fly day here so I'm sat at the computer and thought I'd link my first video...so please be gentle! Its not going to win any awards for editing or anything else for that matter and in essences its dead boring; its purpose was really to show the stability of footage captured from my X4 and zen. The shots were taken over several days with variable conditions but with winds generally around the 15 mph range gusting up to 25mph - the first two clips reflect the amount of wind.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
cant see the link!

same thing was happening yesterday!

just put the url in rather than posting as a video embed.

Dave

Quinton

Well its a windy no-fly day here so I'm sat at the computer and thought I'd link my first video...so please be gentle! Its not going to win any awards for editing or anything else for that matter and in essences its dead boring; its purpose was really to show the stability of footage captured from my X4 and zen. The shots were taken over several days with variable conditions but with winds generally around the 15 mph range gusting up to 25mph - the first two clips reflect the amount of wind.

Looks really good, nice images coming from that thing, and the Zen is stable as a rock.
Please tell me you dont live there, that would be a dream being able to go out your back garden and fly into the countryside, but I bet its always windy up there.
Do your props get in the way at all on the x4, as on my hex they get in quite a bit if going forward fast?

Only 1 other thing to say and not being critical at all, @ 4:10 you can see the prop glare coming through top left, maybe you could look at making something to cover the lens when flying towards the sun or maybe a lens hood might get rid of it.
I like the images from the GH3 a lot, will get out later this week hopefully to try out the 16" xoars that I just got.

cbuk

Hi Quinton, I dont live there but it's my mum's house so do all my building/testing (and occasional crashing) up there. You're right, its a dream having that scenery as a backdrop for testing but as you speculate, wind is always an issue - not a bad thing though. I've just about sorted my storage/transport solution so hopefully I'll be getting the X4 out into that Devon countryside and Dartmoor in particular in the coming months. The coastline is also spectacular but its going to take some balls flying this kit over salt water; I had my heart in my mouth doing it last year with just a F550 gimbal and GoPro!

Props have been an issue with the X4 and as you quite rightly point out, the second to last clip shows flickering from the props; other shots which now "lie on the floor" clearly show some props and even motors in the image. Yesterday I fitted spacers between the zen and droidworx quick release plate so the camera and zen now sits 45mm lower with just enough room left for the initialisation dance. Hopefully this should solve the problem. When I was testing the Besteady, I never had problems with the props in the image but that sat a good few cm's lower than the original zen position. Just need a weather window to see if its solved the problem but I pretty sure it should.

You can probably spot a bit of variation in image quality through the video; I was trying different settings. But on the whole I'm also liking the images from the 12mm Mzuiko lens.

Looks really good, nice images coming from that thing, and the Zen is stable as a rock.
Please tell me you dont live there, that would be a dream being able to go out your back garden and fly into the countryside, but I bet its always windy up there.
Do your props get in the way at all on the x4, as on my hex they get in quite a bit if going forward fast?

Only 1 other thing to say and not being critical at all, @ 4:10 you can see the prop glare coming through top left, maybe you could look at making something to cover the lens when flying towards the sun or maybe a lens hood might get rid of it.
I like the images from the GH3 a lot, will get out later this week hopefully to try out the 16" xoars that I just got.

kloner

Aerial DP
was out farting around today as a one man band, did some slofly and gimbaling at the same time,,,, string to my toe, rod bolted to my hip implant..... gh3 with voightlander glass at sunrise