GoproHD2 fpv and making pictures

goraplx

Hi. When I use gopro for fpv and want do pictures aswell every 1sek or 5 sek , during saving files on gopro i see black screen in my googles for half sec. Is any solution for this problem ?

Bowley

solution is to grab stills from your video on 1080p narrow fov, you can get a surprisingly good crisp image from it with a video editor snapshot function. I personally prefer this method if I use a gp2 for stills. when I use the gp in photo mode it is fisheyed so once you correct the lens distortion then crop it and resize the image loses about half its resolution. Iam not aware of any solution to the blackouts though.

Maverick

seen this alot on here. Wonder if the other output the backpacs use is any better, like this
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74&products_id=1091

This item only works when the camera is set to 'one button record', and even at that, when you use your radio to power on GoPro, it starts recording/taking stills automatically. The screen will still go black, when it's processing files, and then if you switch the radio channel again, you power the GoPro off again! And then NO LIVE VIEW!
I also recommend grabbing screen shots from your 1080P video, preferably on MEDIUM or NARROW view, to avoid fish eye. Or else change your stock GoPro lens.

SMP

Using GP2s for FPV on three builds. Just confirming will be able to record video simultaneously with using FPV HDMI out. Additionally, not a fan of the Fisheye and wondering if there was a recommended lens change. Thanks in advance!

Maverick

Using GP2s for FPV on three builds. Just confirming will be able to record video simultaneously with using FPV HDMI out. Additionally, not a fan of the Fisheye and wondering if there was a recommended lens change. Thanks in advance!

Hi there SMP,
Yes, you can record video simultaneously with HDMI OUT. Only thing is, if you're using HDMI OUT for FPV, and not the analogue output on the GoPro 2, you'll also need a HDMI to analogue converter, to wirelessly transmit the signal from your VTx.

Here's one : http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-AV-CVB...verter-Adapter-PS3-Blue-ray-DVD-/280892296613

Much better to just use the AV OUT on the GP2, because you're going to end up receiving an analogue signal anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bowley

SMP, If you use 1080 setting you can take advantage of the narrow FOV and you wont need to do a lens mod.

Maverick

Just so you're aware, if you use 1080P for video, the frame rate is 50fps (PAL), 60fps (NTSC), so you can't slow it down in the editing. Also, 1080P NARROW VIEW when using for FPV, is more sensitive to vibrations, and will be more jumpy, unless very well dampened.

Bowley

Mav, on my GP2 50fps is only available when I drop it to 960p, I wonder if mine is a different variant? I would love to have 1080 50p with Narrow FOV, the higher frame rate is so much less prone to Rolling Shutter effect. but the only option on mine is 'wide' for 960. so the fisheye is extreme made all the worse when panning.

Maverick

Mav, on my GP2 50fps is only available when I drop it to 960p, I wonder if mine is a different variant? I would love to have 1080 50p with Narrow FOV, the higher frame rate is so much less prone to Rolling Shutter effect. but the only option on mine is 'wide' for 960. so the fisheye is extreme made all the worse when panning.

Yes Bowley, in order to get 50fps, you have to drop it to 960 or 720. 1080P 50fps would be cool, maybe a GP3 will have it if they ever do one...

SMP

Ahh makes sense Mav/Bowley, thx mates!! Currently using GP2's on 1080/24p Medium for our Car/Bike Stuff but never tried to fly 25grand through it, figured I'd check ;)

(Realflight 6 cam unfortunately max's at 90 degrees not the 127 degrees of the GP2 medium)