Zero UAV Zero UAV YS-X6 [Owners Thread] *Autopilot system for multirotors*

socratic

Rolled back the firmware and GCS version to previous. Still had problem although the declination took. However when I put in a negative number on the ptz sensitivity all was good!!!! (probably would be okay to use new firmware if it wasn't for the declination issue). So seem to have all my issues resolved - now just need to get the guts to crash - oops, I mean fly again! Think I will use intelligent orientation this time around and keep my hands away from the "manual" switch.

robone

Its strange, I am using the latest FW and GCS both Android and PC and I had no problems setting the declination. Did you try pressing "Init Setup" before doing it? and the "Quit setup"

Maybe there is a problem with the Steadi470 FW. If so please report it to support so they can test and change it.

Cheers
Rob

johnno

Its strange, I am using the latest FW and GCS both Android and PC and I had no problems setting the declination. Did you try pressing "Init Setup" before doing it? and the "Quit setup"

Maybe there is a problem with the Steadi470 FW. If so please report it to support so they can test and change it.

Cheers
Rob

Hi Rob,
Hows Things, just remember Jims YS-X6 has been in a prang so anything could have happened. John.

socratic

Have any of you guys used the new FW with the Steadi470? I know that way back when I first tried to setup the YS the wrong FW for the Steadi was on the Zero site. After Peter realized it, he sent me the new FW (at the time) and everything started working okay. The issue is with the standard YS-X6 FW vs. the Steadi FW. They have to program the second IMU into the FC. Trying to use the standard FW won't work. I do remember having difficulty with the declination and alignment prior to Peter identifying the FW issue. Just wondering if it happened again? FYI - I tested the YS on an old test quad I have sitting around prior to installing it on the Ecilop frame. Appeared to be working fine.

johnno

Have any of you guys used the new FW with the Steadi470? I know that way back when I first tried to setup the YS the wrong FW for the Steadi was on the Zero site. After Peter realized it, he sent me the new FW (at the time) and everything started working okay. The issue is with the standard YS-X6 FW vs. the Steadi FW. They have to program the second IMU into the FC. Trying to use the standard FW won't work. I do remember having difficulty with the declination and alignment prior to Peter identifying the FW issue. Just wondering if it happened again? FYI - I tested the YS on an old test quad I have sitting around prior to installing it on the Ecilop frame. Appeared to be working fine.

Jim are you using the same setup you had in the steadi? As far as I am aware there is only one FW update that can be used with that setup..John.

socratic

Hi Jon, I think you are right. I thought Peter had sent out a message that there was an update (20130207)? So i tried using that but have since rolled back to the October version.

johnno

Yes, that is the release I had the issues with. Not sure about the alignment since I didn't try using a neg number, but the declination wouldn't work.

Jim apologies on that I wlll have to check which one I upgraded to they are 2 days apart I also took part in that deal they offered for a YSX4. And they gave you a waypoint upgrade for X6 very confusing, John.

socratic

Hey, no need to apologize!!!!! On another subject, do you have any video from either of the YS's? Are you airborne on the Steadi yet?

johnno

Hey, no need to apologize!!!!! On another subject, do you have any video from either of the YS's? Are you airborne on the Steadi yet?

Jim, The X4 was a Tax Return Present so its still in the Box cant make up my mind on what frame to put it in, The Steadi as I said previously tilted quite Violently and I have been double checking things, I could have taken the plunge last weekend but I had to go to Town and by the time I got back up the coastal wind came up, hopefully next weekend the field is about 1/2 hour away and its not to far inland so it still gets the coastal winds best time here is the winter months then we get the southerlys, But I will post Videos when it happens. John.

johnno

Hi Jim One quick flight lifted off the ground couple of feet and promply darted off to the right in a downwards direction hitting mother earth, snapped off 1 leg at the joint to the frame and sheared one of the Pivot Pins on the Horizontal steady arm, not very happy seeing I was in a semi auto takeoff mode (switch 1 in pos 3 and switch 2 pos 1).
Anyway enough of my whoes how is your new Glyder 600??
Cheers John.

socratic

Hi Jim One quick flight lifted off the ground couple of feet and promply darted off to the right in a downwards direction hitting mother earth, snapped off 1 leg at the joint to the frame and sheared one of the Pivot Pins on the Horizontal steady arm, not very happy seeing I was in a semi auto takeoff mode (switch 1 in pos 3 and switch 2 pos 1).
Anyway enough of my whoes how is your new Glyder 600??
Cheers John.

Hi John, A real bummer! You have tried to be so careful. I wonder what is going on. I hate to even bring it up because I know you probably quadruple checked, but are all your motors turning in the correct direction? Props also? I had something similar happen once and that's what it turned out to be.

My Ecilop is ready to fly! I have the YS-X6 mounted on it (took up a lot of real estate) and the gimbal appears to be working well. Just waiting for a windless day for a test flight. Maybe tomorrow - supposed to be light winds. I will try to mount my gopro with some ballast on the gimbal instead of the 5N - just in case! I will run some video of the hover test and take some footage from the gopro so I can compare with the Steadi470 that is posted. Planning on taking it very easy - no fast flying this time. No playing with modes while in the air! Maybe no crash!?

johnno

Hi John, A real bummer! You have tried to be so careful. I wonder what is going on. I hate to even bring it up because I know you probably quadruple checked, but are all your motors turning in the correct direction? Props also? I had something similar happen once and that's what it turned out to be.

My Ecilop is ready to fly! I have the YS-X6 mounted on it (took up a lot of real estate) and the gimbal appears to be working well. Just waiting for a windless day for a test flight. Maybe tomorrow - supposed to be light winds. I will try to mount my gopro with some ballast on the gimbal instead of the 5N - just in case! I will run some video of the hover test and take some footage from the gopro so I can compare with the Steadi470 that is posted. Planning on taking it very easy - no fast flying this time. No playing with modes while in the air! Maybe no crash!?

Hi Jim, your having similar wind issues like we are over here when I had the crash it was a perfect day, think I might have found the problem I was never happy with the original throttle calibration very hard response and power starting at about 1/3 of throttle, so after prang I went over everything and recalibrated esc's now have nice sooth response starting as soon as you lift the throttle.
i am sending the file from the tablet to the aus rep and he will send os ordered parts so be a couple of weeks before I can have another go yes I am going to change cameras rather than sacrifice the 5n use a cheaply until things get sorted, keep in touch cheers, John.

vulcan2go

After getting a bit naffed off with this I decided to put it away for a little while and try again with a fresh outlook! It seems I was having problems with the stick calibrations which I have now resolved (my own fault - was not clicking on init set up then calibrating then clicking end setup - what a numpty).

Anyway she is flying and the next step will be testing the other functions.

Here is a short vid and some stills of todays short test flight:

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:

socratic

Hi John,
I threw a GoPro on with some fishing weights to equal the weight of the 5N - didn't bother to balance it all that well since I will be putting the 5N back on. A little drifting that I will need to address - I may need to redo compass calibration - the two circles were not on top of one another but I though "close enough." Guess not. These are the motors from the Steadi470 - they are VERY quiet. Need to also balance props - I could see some imbalance just prior to take off. FYI - there is actually an earlier take off that only lasted 20 seconds or so. I ran into a similar issue you mention - seemed to tilt to the left. I landed and started again. I found that giving a bit more throttle rather than just aileron seems to help. But if you are too close to the ground when it happens - well....... Not sure exactly what is going on with that, but once it starts flying and is a few meters above the ground, it seems very stable. Maybe it just need to clear the ground cushion? The guy who built the Ecilop recommends using two seperate heading gyros - one each for roll and pitch servos. I am using the 2nd IMU from the Steadi and it seems to be working very well. The ice is getting pretty thin so I need to find a big field to run the rest of the testing with the 5N attached. FYI, I also put together a fixed wing over the winter for additional FPVing. Been practicing on the simulator. Don't think my stomach can handle goggles though - those light planes really bounce around a lot!