Dji datalink

araines2750

Hexa Crazy
DJI Link & GCS questions answered from Terry at DJI

I wanted to post to the forum the answers I received from DJI about the Link & GCS,
I hope these help others with the same questions.

1. How do you fly a mission without internet connection? How does it get thebackground Google map? I hope to take everything to a different locationwithout internet, but am not real sure how this works???? I have seenstatements like you must Cache the map. How is this done?
Zoom in area where you fly firstwith internet first. GCS will go to offline mode when flying outside.
2. If you are flying Via GCS (900 Mhz) Single waypoint- Click & go and flybeyond the range of the traditional TX (2.5 Ghz) transmitter what happens? Doesit continue to fly and be controlled via the 900 mhz. link or does thetraditional TX signal loss trigger the failsafe settings (RTH)?
GCS takes in control in stead ofTx, no matter Tx signal lost or not.
3. If the aircraft loses the Link signal (900 Mhz.) and not the Traditional TXsignal (2.4 Ghz), what happens?
RTH in 10-30 seconds
4. If the aircraft loses Both the Link signal (900 MHz) and the Traditional TXsignal(2.4 Ghz), what happens?
RTH in 10-30 seconds
5. How do you adjust the rate of assent / descent in GCS? It seems to climb veryslowly.
Adjust Vertical Speed inWaypoint setting
6. Can you fly entirely with 900 Mhz link & GCS and without a traditional TX?If so, how is this accomplished?
No. Must have Tx.

DaveM

Regarding their answer to question (1)

For me anyway, if I zoomed the map from within the GCS software using an internet connection at home,
and then went to that location to fly, no map had been cached.

If I zoomed to that location using the Google Earth app when at home with an internet connection, and
then went off to fly at the location, this time it had been cached and was usable within the GCS.

Not sure if it should have worked the first way, but it never for me.

Dave

saidquad

Regarding question 6. I have tested to fly (in simulation mode) only using data link. The TX was off from beginning. I have not tested this in real mode yet, but I guess it should work.

Tahoe Ed

You have to have the transmitter both turned on and to start the motors. After that, my understanding is you can fly the WKM with Data Link on your computer. I have looked into getting a usb controller but the quality is so poor that I do not want to control my S800 with them. It has been a while since I played with Data Link and the GS. I will be using it more now that I have a fully set up S800 with Z15, Data Link and Video Down Link.

araines2750

Hexa Crazy
Tahoe Ed is correct.
I power up both the TX & RX, Connect to aircraft via groundstation and execute autotakeoff. I then place throttle to mid-stick at warning. I have then completely turned off the TX and flown for 10 minutes with GCS. I then use GCS "Go Gome" and it autorturns & lands.
I also fly with the traditional TX, it just depends on what I am trying to accomplish. The big advantage to the 900Mhz link is the range & autopilot flying. The future goal is to set waypoints & concentrate on what the camera sees.

araines2750

Hexa Crazy
Yes.
Data Link & DJI Ground Station.
You can buy in 3 options.
1. Datalink- Click & Go.
2. Datalink & 5 waypoints
3. Datalink & 50 waypoints.
You can start at any level and add upgraded waypiints as desired.
It's not cheap.
DJI needs to start adding some upgrades & additional features to make it really worth the money.
Groundstation & waypoints allows the aircraft to "fly itself" so you can concentrate on the camera view.

stasid

I am wookong M owner and I bought dji data link 900Mhz.I have problems with software setup (version 4.0.6.)

First problem , when I open the Ground Station sometimes never open and i take the message: "Error! there are two possibilities: (1)the network is not good, try offline mode.(2)googlearth plugin version is not match, please reinstall from the CD", and sometimes opens but the map in google earth is cloudy (no refresh the image).
I am connected to the internet with good connection.

Second problem, when its open (with the cloudy image) the function "click and go" does not work. I can see the aircraft in the screen with the GPS status and everything (but allways with cloudy image) I can auto take off and control the aircraft from the keybord but the "click and go" is not work. I mean when I press space bar and click to the map the window with the "click and go" form not appears (of course the click and go function is checked in the pull down menu).

And I do not have problem with the link between the laptop and the wookong (handshake).
I install and uninstall the software (googlearth plugin, ground station , usb driver) about 10 times , I am desperate.
(.net framework 3.5 is properly installed.)

Is anybody have the same problems?
any help accepted.
thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

02deuce

Time Warped
Connected

I am wookong M owner and I bought dji data link 900Mhz.I have problems with software setup (version 4.0.6.)

First problem , when I open the Ground Station sometimes never open and i take the message: "Error! there are two possibilities: (1)the network is not good, try offline mode.(2)googlearth plugin version is not match, please reinstall from the CD", and sometimes opens but the map in google earth is cloudy (no refresh the image).

Second problem, when its open (with the cloudy image) the function "click and go" does not work. I can see the aircraft in the screen with the GPS status and everything (but allways with cloudy image) I can auto take off and control the aircraft from the keybord but the "click and go" is not work. I mean when I press space bar and click to the map the window with the "click and go" form not appears (of course the click and go function is checked in the pull down menu).

And I do not have problem with the link between the laptop and the wookong (handshake).
I install and uninstall the software (googlearth plugin, ground station , usb driver) about 10 times , I am desperate.
(.net framework 3.5 is properly installed.)

Is anybody have the same problems?
any help accepted.
thank you in advance
Have you been able to connect and fly with the program before?
Are you showing GPS signal at the bottom left corner of the screen?
Are you showing mode change at the bottom left corner of the screen when you switch between Ati Mode and GPS mode?
Are you hitting the aircraft button on the top left corner of the screen? If yes does it accurately pin point the aircraft on the Map?

These are some great questions. Thanks for posting the Answers. I often wondered what would happen if Radio signal was lost. I had thought the copter would just come back right then. So stoked to know the S800 will keep going through with the mission. Thanks for posting.

Patrick

I wanted to post to the forum the answers I received from DJI about the Link & GCS,
I hope these help others with the same questions.

1. How do you fly a mission without internet connection? How does it get thebackground Google map? I hope to take everything to a different locationwithout internet, but am not real sure how this works???? I have seenstatements like you must Cache the map. How is this done?
Zoom in area where you fly firstwith internet first. GCS will go to offline mode when flying outside.
2. If you are flying Via GCS (900 Mhz) Single waypoint- Click & go and flybeyond the range of the traditional TX (2.5 Ghz) transmitter what happens? Doesit continue to fly and be controlled via the 900 mhz. link or does thetraditional TX signal loss trigger the failsafe settings (RTH)?
GCS takes in control in stead ofTx, no matter Tx signal lost or not.
3. If the aircraft loses the Link signal (900 Mhz.) and not the Traditional TXsignal (2.4 Ghz), what happens?
RTH in 10-30 seconds
4. If the aircraft loses Both the Link signal (900 MHz) and the Traditional TXsignal(2.4 Ghz), what happens?
RTH in 10-30 seconds
5. How do you adjust the rate of assent / descent in GCS? It seems to climb veryslowly.
Adjust Vertical Speed inWaypoint setting
6. Can you fly entirely with 900 Mhz link & GCS and without a traditional TX?If so, how is this accomplished?
No. Must have Tx.

when I open the Ground Station never open and i take the message: "Error! there are two possibilities: (1)the network is not good, try offline mode.(2)googlearth plugin version is not match, please reinstall from the CD",

I have the same problem , it wont open the maps , i tried 3 different computers with 3 different OS ( vista , 7 home , 7 pro ) try change the firewalls and so on
Someone with suggestions?? please :tennis:

nytram

I have the same issue today I have connected before. May be its a google issue ... Can anyone connect at the moment ?

stasid

Thanks god I am not crazy!
I sent email with the problem to DJI in Friday and i am waiting their responce today.
I will keep you informed.

nytram

I'm getting same issue today, I have installed google earth as well and that's not connecting either, have you done this are you the same?

nytram

Hi

This morning I installed the software on my pc at work and it runs great so It looks like its a pc issue my pc is 64bi w7 What's your system?

I have tested that link on my works of and it runs great... I will test in about 6 hours at home... But I gut feeling its not going to work...