Zero UAV Zero UAV YS-X6 [Owners Thread] *Autopilot system for multirotors*

robone

Finished setting up my YS-X6 on my 1200 octo today and did a short flight. All seemed to be OK but I am still tearing my hair out over the manual. I am recording some points and puzzlements here, and apologise if they have been aired before:
1. Calibrating the ESCs. (step 7) I didnt do this because I had already spent a lot of time setting up my 8 ESCs for when I flew the bird with DJI WKM. I do not want to power up the ESCs whilst holding full throttle because I dont want to corrupt the existing programming. I dont understand what the ESC calibration in the YS does. My question is: is it necessary?
2. Enable/disable radio in the GCS turns red. Is it supposed to or is it telling me something is wrong?
3. My magnetic declination is 2 degrees 7 minutes. How do I enter that? is 2.7 OK?
4. WHen calibrating XY and YZ I find it very difficult to do the calibration dance with a heavy (5KG) Octo 1.2 metres wide and I can't keep theLED on all the time. Is it ok if it winks out ocassionally?
5. What does Gyro INIT do. I read somewhere you should leave it still for a few minutes after doing this. I am not sure about this as I don't know WTF it does.

Anyway it flies fine, but I want to make sure I have done everything right because I dont want to crash a very expensive bird because of some over sight!

Thanks Guys

1. Yes because you are doing a throttle/ESC calibration. If you don't do it, you will find some motors will move at different speeds
2. I would leave the enable/disable radio alone. Leave it as enabled until you have got used to the system.
3. If your magnetic declination is (+) then you must enter it into the system as a (-)
4. If it winks out occasionally, that could be okay, but you will see the result when you look at you circles. If they are not complete circles, then you will have to do it again. When I do the dance, I try and hold it right next to my body.
5. Init Gyro is just that, it resets the gyro. A lot of other systems do it automatically upon connecting the power, and you have to wait about 30 seconds.

Rob

vispaaja

That cheap china frame is a Turnigy Talon Mk 2 Hex and is an excellent frame, dont get put off by the cheap price, it is excellent kit! IMHO

I agree, I have about 100 flights on it, with DJI Naza. The frame is quite heavy straight out of the box so I drilled the excess material off the motor mounts and other alu parts.

robone

My YS-X6 is now ready for its first takeoff! I'm using a cheap china frame so that I can get to know the system well, before installing it onto a big expensive frame.

It has been known that when the IMU is located under the MC, it can sometimes pick up interference, so, if you find it does not fly well you may have to move it to above the MC. This will also get it away from the ESC's

Also, I would move the wifi unit to the legs and as far away as possible.

Rob

vispaaja

3. If your magnetic declination is (+) then you must enter it into the system as a (-)

Why is that?

It has been known that when the IMU is located under the MC, it can sometimes pick up interference, so, if you find it does not fly well you may have to move it to above the MC. This will also get it away from the ESC's

Also, I would move the wifi unit to the legs and as far away as possible.

Rob

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye on any problems and relocate the stuff if neccessary :)

Kari

Why is that?

How i understand it is that it's amount of degrees needed to correct magnetic declination.

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye on any problems and relocate the stuff if neccessary :)

I think you'd better move the wifi module further straight away, you likely get problems if it's that close. Also like Rob said it's known to make problems if imu is below mc and that close to esc:s.

@robone. Thanks for the response Rob. I realise now that an ESC calibration is a good thing but try as I might I cannot understand the instructions:
I quote "Break the pole as V shaped to open THR insurance and push the THR pole to maximum within 5 seconds"
Well I think I know what that means and I have done it. ( I hope)
My interpreation is: Connect the controller but not the ESCs. In Settings under install Guide click "Init" in the part where you calibrate the ESC. Now pull down and left the throttle stick and down and right the elevator stick (this should initialise the motors) Now push the throtlle to max and within 5 seconds connect the ESCs to power. Wait till the beeps then pull the throttle back. Now put the props back on and see if it works.

Anyway that is what I have done. There is no way of seeing it as a success as there is no feedback. Am I right?

Has anyone written another manual?

johnno

Hi All, anyone downloaded the lastest YS-X6 Firmware 2012-11-14 ?? Whats in it and are there any issues?
Johnno.

nicwilke

I have, and just flew it. Everything seems good, but one motor dropped out when I was 50 meters up. Who says hexa's dont have redundancy? Wow, heart was in my throat. I've sent the HJ to ZeroTech because theres nothing wrong with motor 4. Resulted in a small tip over, and that reminds me, the new FW makes the motors shut down if you tip it. I can confirm it works. LOL.
All nice, no damage, just a splintered prop. Video coming in 10 mins on my build blog in this forum.

rukie

1. Change the IP range on the WiFi unit.
First be sure that you have connection to the WiFi-link, easiest to use a router and your PC on the existing YS-X6-XXXXX network we have all made up. Then in your we browser, type URL as 192.168.1.254 this wil show you the login screen of the wifi link.
username and password are the same: "admin"

Once inside the wifi link, Change on the top to English for easier reading ;)

At the top right of the screen, go to setup (3rd link accross) and then scroll down and change the local IP to your desired IP address and press SAVE (for the Galaxy series TAB2/S3 make it: 192.168.43.254 )

Re-power the wifi unit and you should be able to connect directly your Samsung or any other device that use the same IP range x.x.43.x
I use an app called FoxFi, its simply an app to shortcut the 'activation' of the hotspot.
If you have any issues in connecting the phone to the ground datalink via the wifi module, you may need to go into the GCS app, and in the settings (network settings) change the network IP to 192.168.43.254.

Any issues, remember that once changed, the wifi module will have the new address, so write it with permanent pen on the bottom of the unit so you dont forget.

Does this help fellas? :thumbup:

Hi there I followed this instruction from a link, but it gave me more problem. Now I cannot go back to the 192.168.1.254 is there anyway to reset the module or something?

Kari

I have, and just flew it. Everything seems good, but one motor dropped out when I was 50 meters up. Who says hexa's dont have redundancy? Wow, heart was in my throat. I've sent the HJ to ZeroTech because theres nothing wrong with motor 4. Resulted in a small tip over, and that reminds me, the new FW makes the motors shut down if you tip it. I can confirm it works. LOL.
All nice, no damage, just a splintered prop. Video coming in 10 mins on my build blog in this forum.

Nic, is this your alias or what? Maybe bit weird if happened twice at same day for two different people:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23282620

nicwilke

I was nicwilke on RCG before being banned for sticking up for myself. I don't much post there nowadays, it's only to keep up with the YS systems. Here is much more pleasurable.

Kari

Oh yeah now i remember that, i should have remembered your other "nicname" ;) Yeah here is peaceful somehow, in good. Bart has created a one great community.

Hi Folks. Finally got round to setting up my YS-x6. Set up router according to instructions with correct ssid and pw and WPA2-PSK security protocol. My Android Tablet connected to the router OK. But I cannot get the YSX6 to connect. Am I missing something?
These are my settings
SSID: YS-X6-11336
Security: WPA2-PSK AES
password: 82890430

The YS seems to be working OK. The LED does its stuff.

My Android tablet in the WiFi area receives the drone wifi but says that it is Wep protected and not WPA2 etc.
If I digit the Zero Uav password in the WEP 82890430 obviously it doesn’t connect.
I tried to open the GCS and tap Install Guide with no success at all!!

I’m very disappointed because it’s nearly three days that I test every solution,read every forum, watch Youtube installing videos and I have no one that can help me.:upset:

My last resort is the help from you!!

Thanks in advance!!
Carlo - Italy:)

robone

Hi Folks. Finally got round to setting up my YS-x6. Set up router according to instructions with correct ssid and pw and WPA2-PSK security protocol. My Android Tablet connected to the router OK. But I cannot get the YSX6 to connect. Am I missing something?
These are my settings
SSID: YS-X6-11336
Security: WPA2-PSK AES
password: 82890430

The YS seems to be working OK. The LED does its stuff.

My Android tablet in the WiFi area receives the drone wifi but says that it is Wep protected and not WPA2 etc.
If I digit the Zero Uav password in the WEP 82890430 obviously it doesn’t connect.
I tried to open the GCS and tap Install Guide with no success at all!!

I’m very disappointed because it’s nearly three days that I test every solution,read every forum, watch Youtube installing videos and I have no one that can help me.:upset:

My last resort is the help from you!!

Thanks in advance!!
Carlo - Italy:)

Hi Carlo

A lot of people I know have had some problems with the router they use, and even though the blue light comes on showing it is connected, it in fact is not. I know that TP-Link and also Linksys works. I think it has something to do with the security protocol that is used. So maybe try a different router.

You can try and setup your android tablet/phone as a hotspot and the wifi module should connect to it.

Another thing to try is see if the serial number written on the side and on the card, is the correct one. Connect using your USB cable to the Main Controller and using the PC GCS to see if the serial number is the same. You will see in on the lower left corner under "Other Data" tab.

If non of these works, we can look at what else you can do.

Cheers
Rob