Gimbal Jitters.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
show us where your at with it. Whats your gain at so far?

My gains are at 20.00 for both Pitch and roll. The stabilization is a little slow slow to catch up to the hex movements but I'm happy because the servos aren't producing vibrations like the Eflight and Spektrum did.
Here's the video.

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
if i understand all this right, it just needs a little more gain to get it to keep up with the craft?

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
if i understand all this right, it just needs a little more gain to get it to keep up with the craft?
Yes and no.
Too much gain and the gimbal will twitch. Too little and it's too slow. The gimbal can only be as fast as the refresh rate.
Servos seem to be a big one to. I've tried the HiTec 55mg (not good, sloppy), Efllight servos that were the cyclic servos in the Blade SR, (better than the 55s but sill vibrated), Spektrum 3010s (fast, but vibrate over every little tooth).

So far the the Savox 255 are it. I have them powered off a Castel BEC because the Naza doesn't devote much power to things like servos. I made a harness like this.
However, all that being said, the Naza's gimbal control is not that great. The refresh rate is too slow. So you can pump up the gains and then it gets all twitchy and is still not keeping up. Really it just kind of takes the edge off. If you want a rock solid gimbal than you will need a stand alone gimbal control with the wicked fast refresh rate. The Skyline RSGS is supposed to be really great but it isn't cheep.

kloner

Aerial DP
gotcha. got mine decent enough to try. forgot i have a set of brushless cyclics for a scale model, might have to try one out. not much faster, but i think the brushless have a smoother movent. this was with the gain at 14, now i got it down to 12, still gotta try it. Been busy potty training a 2 year old

but mines just a one way tilt

animau

A little test with the aeroxcraft gimbal with 2 futaba 3156 on 6v BEC...i think it not bad for what i paid...

Fransvh

I have succsesfully dampend the vibration from the craft to the camera with this device. Bought on ebay search for "anti vaibration #300".
It can be mounted upside down and has a limit of 240grams. The gimbal and hero2 are 235grams.
View attachment 5886
Here's a video of the test with iSeismometer on the iPhone,

I will mount this under the fixed camera mount plate.
Will do some more testing when the fixed camera-mount arrives.

Also received the Graupners, there perfect in balance.

Attachments

• antivib_300_4.jpg
    antivib_300_4.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 256

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
I have succsesfully dampend the vibration from the craft to the camera with this device. Bought on ebay search for "anti vaibration #300".
It can be mounted upside down and has a limit of 240grams. The gimbal and hero2 are 235grams.
View attachment 7809
I wonder what material they are made of. If we known it might be easy to make one that doesn't way as much.

kloner

Aerial DP
the dampner between it looks just like ear plugs. the ear plug dampners work awesome, couple bucks to make, doesn't need the board, but they make it easier to attach like this

008%20%281024x710%29_795.jpg

cause the rubber band doesn't touch the base

this works really good to, but the rubber band tension versus the camera moving around is alot more touchy. too tight is simple, makes it like nothing is between them, too loose and it's a great view but the camera shifts, falls out, but there is a just right in there.

033%20%281024x768%29_795.jpg

my last video was that setup but the rubber bands got looser and more of them now, i use 3 bands, cut and tied em for the right length

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
the dampner between it looks just like ear plugs. the ear plug dampners work awesome, couple bucks to make, doesn't need the board, but they make it easier to attach like this

008 (1024x710)_795.jpg

cause the rubber band doesn't touch the base

this works really good to, but the rubber band tension versus the camera moving around is alot more touchy. too tight is simple, makes it like nothing is between them, too loose and it's a great view but the camera shifts, falls out, but there is a just right in there.

033 (1024x768)_795.jpg

my last video was that setup but the rubber bands got looser and more of them now, i use 3 bands, cut and tied em for the right length

That's what I've been doing and it works good.
Hey Kloner I like how you are protecting the lens. Can you post how you did that? Are you using the non fish-eye lens? I have one of those on order and will be doing the hack soon.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Hey Kloner,

I like what you have done with the green ear plugs, that's the way I do it, however I only use the tips of the ear plugs. What advantages have you found using the earplugs on there side? I would have though having them stand up would be better. I have to say, I like your knowledge and skill.

kloner

Aerial DP
when i had em on end and because that gimble uses the back of the camera for mounting, the plus on end let the camera sag and it was harder to make the camera not wobble when the servo would move and stop.

i.php

had em like that and the bottom row would compress to the plastic and the cam was wobbly. I had seen a guy on fpv lab lay em on there side so gave it a try, and it worked.

Guess it could be a solid sheet of this foam they use in ear plugs cause i got a pretty consistent bed of em and it worked bitchen

I did like it better with the foam under the cam than behind it. this is how the cam mounts to this thing
130 (1024x768)_795.jpg

Fransvh

I have mounted the Quadframe.com gimbal and the Emax servos.
Updated the Naza, put the gimbal rate on 400.

Succes!! the test video looks very good, hope to do some flying soon.