Hoverfly Hoverfly Gimbal Controller?

And so it shall. Dan will have it out in the next few days.

Might want to wait on selling yours Twister773!

I was gonna wait at least a month and still am all for working with Dan to get it to work with the cinestar gimbal. If it does work out within the next month I will keep it ;)

Twister773,

I've got a Cinestar gimbal and I've learned a few things that will make it work to its fullest potential. The gimbal must be balanced, the center of gravity needs to align with the axis of rotation with the camera mounted. To do this on the roll axis, take off the belt, then shift the weight left or right until it stays level. Then, you'll need to raise/lower the forward arms so that the center of gravity is lined up with the roll axis. You'll know you've got it right when you can move the gimbal to any position and it stays there (with the belt off). Do this with the camera and gear mounted. When you put the belt back on, make sure it is good and tight by moving that servo up and taking any belt slack out. This makes a world of difference!

all the best,
Ben Rowland

Yea, That is my plan once I get my downlink mounted up so I have everything on the gimbal and can balance it accurately :)

Twister773,

I've got a Cinestar gimbal and I've learned a few things that will make it work to its fullest potential. The gimbal must be balanced, the center of gravity needs to align with the axis of rotation with the camera mounted. To do this on the roll axis, take off the belt, then shift the weight left or right until it stays level. Then, you'll need to raise/lower the forward arms so that the center of gravity is lined up with the roll axis. You'll know you've got it right when you can move the gimbal to any position and it stays there (with the belt off). Do this with the camera and gear mounted. When you put the belt back on, make sure it is good and tight by moving that servo up and taking any belt slack out. This makes a world of difference!

all the best,
Ben Rowland

Flight report. Positive.... mostly.

Well we got to try the latest Test 2 firmware today and overall I'd say that we've definitely moved in a positive direction.

The setup was our custom octa with a PH AV200-360

ROLL
Firstly, Roll was responsive, rock solid and held its horizon... Top marks here, especially considering it didn't seem to work that well in the last 1.03 firmware.

TILT
Tilt was a big disappointment, and in this firmware it seems to have developed a very sensitive spot right at the horizon/neutral position. Pitching ever so slightly fore/aft would dramatically tilt the cam up/down.
We followed all instructions, centre point, travel adjust, scaling & gain but couldn't get rid of it.
We didn't recalibrate the accelerometers or gyro after the FW update to Test 2, so that's our next plan.

HF, is it a requirement to recalibrate all sensors after updating the FW?????

PAN
I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked considering the previous firmware results. It was definitely useable if your clips will be edited and you're just pulling short snippets. It held its heading beautifully when yaw was constant, but totally failed at the beginning and end of a yaw. The ramp up ramp down needs to be a software user adjustable setting, or it needs to "just work".

I'm really looking forward to the sensor fusion of the Mag and Gyro, but I'd still like the user option to use one or the other.
Even better, a single influence slider that allows the user to manually adjust the ratio between the two sensors.

Good work HF, look forward to the next FW update.

http://youtu.be/VnFo7cMDKto

Last edited by a moderator:

Photronix

Pilot
The new version of the HoverflyGIMBAL is available now.

The only difference between the first version and the second version is the addition of signal buffers so that it works directly with cinestar gimbal servos. Regardless it is available. If the store says backorder, we are getting batches everyday from the contract manufacturer so just order it and it should go out in a day or two.

The new version of the HoverflyGIMBAL is available now.

The only difference between the first version and the second version is the addition of signal buffers so that it works directly with cinestar gimbal servos. Regardless it is available.

I thought the new version would also incorporate both gyro and mag for pan stab? Is this the version that is now available?

hoverben

Person of Interest
NOTE: I have edited my previous comments:

We have had ours for 4 days. It's a v1.
Can we exchange it for a v2 because we are looking at a cinestar?

Since the difference is a built-in signal booster, the exact same effect can be achieved by using an in-line signal booster like this one. You can get these at most RC hobby shops for about $10-$12, which is likely to be much a quicker and more cost-effective solution than an exchange.

If you have any further questions or concerns about this, please e-mail me directly at (ben at hoverflytech.com).

I thought the new version would also incorporate both gyro and mag for pan stab? Is this the version that is now available?

I spoke with Al about this and this is most likely going to be handled as a firmware change (utilizing existing sensors) rather than being a rework.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
This was a few tests at once. First it was to see how the Hoverfly pro did in some decent winds. I am an avid kitesurfer and pay very close attention to winds about 10+ times a day. So I can confidently tell you the wind speed, which was 14-15 mph. I felt like it could have easily handled more. What really surprised me was that even in AL mode set at 12% I still had plenty of authority in the wind. But the most amazing thing of all is that it doesn wobble or jitter in the gusts like DJI! I got so tired of my WKM wobbling like crazy to every little gust it got. I was flying behind a set of trees so I had a safe place to return to in case it couldnt handle it but this also made the wind less smooth. but all that happened was the heli would rise from the extra apparent wind speed. Very impressed! As for the gimbal, I had my friend give his first try at controlling the camera. So things were a littel glitchy in movement but the HoverGimbal did an excellent job keeping things steady. of course this is no RSGS! but it was stable enough to give me good results. Above all what this test showed me was that I can get a shot in winds if I need to but when the wind is calmer I will easily get my million $ shots from this setup.

Photronix

Pilot
I spoke with Al about this and this is most likely going to be handled as a firmware change (utilizing existing sensors) rather than being a rework.

It IS a firmware change. All versions of the HoverflyGIMBAL have exactly the same sensor capabilities. It is exactly the same design I just added signal buffers on the servo outputs. This addition will never matter to you unless you are using cinestar servos. If you already have a HoverflyGIMBAL V1 you will need to purchase the signal boosters. The new version of the HoverflyGIMBAL with signal buffers built in is shipping now. However due to the overwhelming popularity of this product stock is low. We have alerted the manufactures to increase the number they are making to meet the high demand.

Forrest12

Well we got to try the latest Test 2 firmware today and overall I'd say that we've definitely moved in a positive direction.

The setup was our custom octa with a PH AV200-360

ROLL
Firstly, Roll was responsive, rock solid and held its horizon... Top marks here, especially considering it didn't seem to work that well in the last 1.03 firmware.

TILT
Tilt was a big disappointment, and in this firmware it seems to have developed a very sensitive spot right at the horizon/neutral position. Pitching ever so slightly fore/aft would dramatically tilt the cam up/down.
We followed all instructions, centre point, travel adjust, scaling & gain but couldn't get rid of it.
We didn't recalibrate the accelerometers or gyro after the FW update to Test 2, so that's our next plan.

HF, is it a requirement to recalibrate all sensors after updating the FW?????

PAN
I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked considering the previous firmware results. It was definitely useable if your clips will be edited and you're just pulling short snippets. It held its heading beautifully when yaw was constant, but totally failed at the beginning and end of a yaw. The ramp up ramp down needs to be a software user adjustable setting, or it needs to "just work".

I'm really looking forward to the sensor fusion of the Mag and Gyro, but I'd still like the user option to use one or the other.
Even better, a single influence slider that allows the user to manually adjust the ratio between the two sensors.

Good work HF, look forward to the next FW update.

http://youtu.be/VnFo7cMDKto

Great Video Psionic , thanks for taking the time to do that demo

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
In this video you have a sound I have never heard in a multi. There is a secondary lower pitch "whine" almost sounds like a baby crying. hard to explain but those look like Tiger 2814's and APC's. Almost sounds as if there is mechanical interference there. Anyone else hear this?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I am happier with my HF stuff than I have with anything else I have owned. I do have a question though that Ben couldnt figure out. Currently my tilt is the only wire coming from the RX to the gimbal board. My pan is hooked direct to the RX and roll is just auto with no override. I want to make my tilt work in angle velocity but I have no control when I move the stick. However when i put it in angle position it works as it should. I have tried checking the roll box to be all of the options and still nothing. Any advice?

Also, right now my tolt goes 45 deg up and down but I want it to go level to look straight down. It does need to be able to go up enough though to compensate forward flight when the heli is pitched. Is this just a matter of adjusting the potentiometer position?

Village Idiot
Yuri

PaNt

In this video you have a sound I have never heard in a multi. There is a secondary lower pitch "whine" almost sounds like a baby crying. hard to explain but those look like Tiger 2814's and APC's. Almost sounds as if there is mechanical interference there. Anyone else hear this?

Yeap i hear it too :) :)

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Yes, tilt has a pot. Its a stock Av200/360. scaling will increase the range of the tilt? I think my pot might actually be mechanically stopped at 45deg. maybe not. After reassembling the pots from my Skyline installation, I was told to center the pots until the servo stopped rotating. I'm wondering how to adjust them and still keep the servo from moving. Doesnt make sense in my head but maybe if I try it out I will see the light.