astenwall

This is my first video. I´m not so happy with the sharpness of the NEX-5 but it may be a setting or my lack of understanding..

Cheers
-Anders

Last edited by a moderator:

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
This is my first video. I´m not so happy with the sharpness of the NEX-5 but it may be a setting or my lack of understanding..

I can't get it to play. I want to see it because I appear to be the only one on this forum who is NOT impressed by the Sony NEX 5n - specifically, due to its lack of sharpness.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Now it plays. Must have been internet gremlins.

THAT is precisely what I have been bitching about. No offense to you but the resolution is crap. It looks exactly like my NEX-5n raw video. Everything is soft and the tree branches are just a fuzz. I am so pissed that I have bought a lemon whilst all these boys around here are showing off sparkling, sharp videos with their Panasonic GH2's. I bought the NEX on the strength of its great reviews but I have been disappointed with its lack of sharpness from the beginning.

Another P.O.S.

ghaynes

So with any general camera like the NEX5, if you were using it for standard photography you would never print the raw image. All digital images need some type of sharpening. Not 100% sure but don't think it would be of any difference whether it is a still image or a moving image. I would always add sharpness in post to 'crisp' it up. Even the GoPro with their basic software, if you could dig into the software, I think you would find they have unsharp mask sharpening going on. Good question for any one posting is how they got the images from the camera to the web. For those videos you consider 'sharp' was there anything introduced in that workflow.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
So with any general camera like the NEX5, if you were using it for standard photography you would never print the raw image. All digital images need some type of sharpening. Not 100% sure but don't think it would be of any difference whether it is a still image or a moving image. I would always add sharpness in post to 'crisp' it up. Even the GoPro with their basic software, if you could dig into the software, I think you would find they have unsharp mask sharpening going on. Good question for any one posting is how they got the images from the camera to the web. For those videos you consider 'sharp' was there anything introduced in that workflow.

I have posted enough comparisons illustrating this to not need to bore everyone again but my little cheapo Pentax Optio compact takes very sharp pictures right off the bat. My lady's venerable Canon 450D (it is that old that it doesn't even have live preview on the screen) takes incredibly sharp pictures - all in auto mode. The 5D takes pretty sharp pics too. But the NEX images, whether photo or video, are just downright soft.

I would very much like to know whether or not these GH2 videos that appear all over hereabouts have had sharpening applied in post. I suspect not. THIS VIDEO appears earlier in this thread and was shot with a Panasonic SD90. It looks really crisp. I even commented, before knowing what camera had been used, that I reckoned it was a camcorder and not a video capable stills camera.

There is absolutely no excuse for a 16mp APS-C sized sensor camera to NOT produce amazingly impressive, sharp photos (or video) WITHOUT having to bugger around with software to clean it up.

If all those happy NEX users would like to chip in ... what is the secret? Because I cannot work out why mine produces such uninspiring, not-in-the-least-bit-HD-looking images - just like astenwall's video above.

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
I did this flight yesterday. It's quite long as a video, but it's got all sorts in it: a 360 pan perfectly executed, incredible trains, a haunting tunnel, elite low flying in circles, daringly hovering over water, a majestic swan, additional ducks, flying through a narrow pathway with trees either side and finishing off breathtakingly high in the air.* :) I also have the two front motors in the video just because I normally don't and fancied a change.

My favourite bit of sharpness and perspective is the tree at 5:50.
* some of the above may be considered exaggerations by some, whose visual experiences may differ from the description.

Rc, what kinda battrry are u running? Whats your AUW, Id love to get a 12 minute flight, liked the vid too
Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
Rc, what kinda battrry are u running? Whats your AUW, Id love to get a 12 minute flight, liked the vid too
Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk
It was more like six 8 or 9 minute flights edited together... though a couple would have gone about 12 I guess if I hadn't have stopped before the battery buzzer went off.
I'm running 4 cell batteries, I have three 3900 mah and two 5000 mah that I use one at a time. I haven't a clue what the AUW is, I don't really go in for all that measuring stuff - I'm very much a put it together and get it outside ASAP and see how it goes type of guy. :)

It's an xAircraft Hexa frame, torxpower motors, and DJI Wookong if that's any guide to weight.

astenwall

Thanks for all constructive feedback on how to sharpen the clips. Here´s the new version. /Anders