California sucks! Video of cop telling me I cant fly in this large open grassy field

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Just another reason to get the hell out of this over taxed state where everything that is remotely fun is illegal! The last words he says are "good luck with your move." As I mentioned the unfairness of a few other tax laws and wanted to get out of California.

Last edited by a moderator:

steph280

This depends on which city you are in. Where I am (Irvine, CA) has specific city ordinances that prohibits remote controlled airplanes, and is posted on signs in every parks. However, we never get questioned flying in those parks. The only times we had issue was when some soccer moms called 911 saying their kids' life are in danger by some grownups flying their dangerous toys, and even then the cop came out and have nice conversation with us just because they were dispatched out. They said they don't really care if we fly here, but they do have to respond to complaints.

USA is a land of liability, so I can't really blame them for all these rules imposed by the bureaucrats. I guess I can always move to the middle of no where and fly anywhere I want, but then there wouldn't be anything interesting to film. :)

Did he tell you to stop because some of the materials used to make your helicopter is known to cause cancer in the state of California?

dolby

Needs more bacon!
Why not talk to your cities mayor and try and get some parks ok'd for RC? If you organize a group of people the mayor see's that as votes too. Or at the very least get in touch with the parks planner, they are always looking to increase their budget, maybe they would build a park for RC'rs.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
the Regional parks district have one park that will allow you to fly non motorized gliders at 1 hill ONLY if you are a member of the local glider club. And thats about as good as it gets. I'm getting pretty close to throwing in the towel again on this whole project. I dont like having to fight. When I fight against something like government it just brings me down to a non enjoyable low. I got into this to bring a new passion into my life and now it too has become a burden. I think California wants us to stay locked in our homes, yet keep filling our SUV's with gas, paying bills and reporting an excessive income to be overly taxed.

dolby

Needs more bacon!
I'm curious how much the ticket would be if they kept catching you flying your copters, might be worth it to keep flying as a hobby?

Dune

Just go to a different park next time. Act like you didn't know the park rules, get warned again, it'll be ok. Were you ever a skater? When I was a teenage skater we got used to getting harassed and looked down upon everywhere we went. You develop a kind of resiliency to it. And I don't think RC flyers will ever be hated to that level. There will be random people that complain though. Hell, even here in Seattle the slackliners are catching greif from people who think they're hurting the trees when they're not. Soon you will find out what places are more tolerant, where you'll be less likely to get bad attention and I think you should still be able to fly. :)

Macsgrafs

Iris, I am 120% with you my friend, we both live in countries that claim there are terroroists, when really our respective governments are the terrorists! We invade other countries to steal their oil & put in place another bent central bank. Doesnt it say on a US $, in god we trust? GOD = Gold, Oil, Drugs.

We have a freedom movement here in the UK, one thats showing people how acts/statutes dont apply to a human, only a person & how to fight these things in court.

People are waking up all over the world to the slavery we still live in.

Ross

jforkner

the Regional parks district have one park that will allow you to fly non motorized gliders at 1 hill ONLY if you are a member of the local glider club.

So you were (or attempting) violating the rules? And the cop was just enforcing the rules? Is that it?

Orracle

Iris, I am 120% with you my friend, we both live in countries that claim there are terroroists, when really our respective governments are the terrorists! We invade other countries to steal their oil & put in place another bent central bank. Doesnt it say on a US $, in god we trust? GOD = Gold, Oil, Drugs.

We have a freedom movement here in the UK, one thats showing people how acts/statutes dont apply to a human, only a person & how to fight these things in court.

People are waking up all over the world to the slavery we still live in.

Ross

While reading that, Charlie Chaplin's speech in the Great Dictator popped into my head :)

llbr22

From now on, all flying shot in our Regional Parks (Yuri and I are neighbors) shall be considered breaking the law!

I added a few clips of some DH Mt. Bike riding at a regional park to my fun reel.. luckily we avoided be police today :)

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
That's good to hear. Thanks for posting. I needed some uplifting.

Jforkner: if you think I was maliciously flying in that park you need to go get your head checked. I had no idea until i was approached by the power authority.