Battery Charger

Chalagi

Looking for a battery charger that will charge 6s 10,000Mah batteries one at a time and will not break the bank.

Old Man

I use a Hitec X2 but they've moved on to the X4 now. I found the small $40.00 programmable chargers would burn themselves up charging large 6s batteries. Ended up cheaper to buy a good charger once instead of cheap chargers over and over. The fire risk dropped to almost zero in the process. I hate the smell of burning electrical components.

I would skip the X4 #44151 for what you want to do. It looks like it tops out at 50 watts per channel which on 6S is going to give you barely 2.0 amps. Charging a 75% drained 10,000 mah pack is going to take almost 4 hours. To charge 7.5 ah in 1 hour you need a charger that can push 25.2 volts at 7.5 amps or about 200 watts per channel. This gives a little room so you aren't maxing the circuit. By default those chargers are rough on the pocket book but on the safety can you spare 2-4 hours to keep an eye on the battery in case of a problem?

Last edited:

On that note, I Also would skip any 4x-xxxwatts, including the 4x100 mentioned above if your goal is one battery at a time.

Dynamite Passport Ultra Force 220 watt. Per specs it uses AC power so it keeps the cost down but is capable of charging fast enough to be safe. I have never used this line of chargers, but if it can meet its specs at the price point, it's going to be hard to find something better for what your looking for I would think. The 4x100 would charge 4 batteries faster, but if you only needed one-two batteries this would be quicker.

Personally, I am looking to upgrade from my 80 watt ac/dc charger to a cellpro powerlab 6 with a 300-400 watt power supply. If I ever need more power to charge, I can just swap out the power supply and go all the way to 1000 watts.

i charge my tattu 12000 @ 3.5amps in 2.5hrs, each cycle is 120min before it times out, i run 1.5 cycles on that size only.. and that's on 80% drain, i could go as high as 6.0amps if i want and that would cut down my charge time to 1.25hr, plus i believe it's better to have the extra charging ports than to upgrade later, everybody gets tired of having one battery eventually LOL

If your talking about the 100 watt channel charger you mentioned above, isn't going to be able to give you 6 amps at 6s. That's 130 watts at 3.7 volts per cell and it only gets worse as voltage increases.

You could parallel charge on a higher watt per channel when you wanted to charge multiples and also charge a single battery faster if you wanted.

RCRoadtrain

HobbyKing X120.. 6S, 120W. Colour touch screen. Inbuilt USB charger.
I've been using one for a few months now, picked it up when HKing had a sale.
Seems to work OK...

If your talking about the 100 watt channel charger you mentioned above, isn't going to be able to give you 6 amps at 6s. That's 130 watts at 3.7 volts per cell and it only gets worse as voltage increases.

You could parallel charge on a higher watt per channel when you wanted to charge multiples and also charge a single battery faster if you wanted.
no I was talking about my Hitec x4 which is 80w per ch...so your telling me if I choose 6.0 amps it won't charge...mine is not a built in A/C I have to provide a separate power supply which I'm using a 400w power supply...each ch is it's own separate charger

no I was talking about my Hitec x4 which is 80w per ch...so your telling me if I choose 6.0 amps it won't charge...mine is not a built in A/C I have to provide a separate power supply which I'm using a 400w power supply...each ch is it's own separate charger

Watts is Volts x Amps

It may charge when you tell it to go at 6 amps but it cannot be putting 6 amps in that voltage. That depends on the charger, how it reacts to overloading the channel. On the other hand my TP610 AC will just error out if the voltage and amps exceeds the limit, about 80 watts.

If your dealing with 80 watts you have two points to consider: 3.7 volts per cell and 4.2 volts per cell.
80 watts / 22.2 volts = 3.6 amps at 3.7 volts per cell
80 watts / 25.2 volts = 3.2 amps as you near 4.2 volts per cell

6 amps x 25.2 volts requires about 150 watts as you approach 4.2 volts per cell.

Last edited:

Watts is Volts x Amps

It may be charging when you tell it to go at 6 amps but it cannot be putting 6 amps in that voltage. On the other hand my TP610 AC will just error out if the voltage and amps exceeds the limit, about 80 watts.

If your dealing with 80 watts you have two points to consider: 3.7 volts per cell and 4.2 volts per cell.
80 watts / 22.2 volts = 3.6 amps at 3.7 volts per cell
80 watts / 25.2 volts = 3.2 amps as you near 4.2 volts per cell

6 amps x 25.2 volts requires about 150 watts as you approach 4.2 volts per cell.
ok thanks good 2 know

I am not saying you guys cannot use a 80 watt per channel charger on a 10-12,000 mah battery. All I am saying is consider safety. If a charge takes 3 hours, that is 3 hours you should be near the charger and also 3 hours for something to happen that causes you to forget the battery is charging.

I like to be near my charger when it's running, even have used a baby monitor at times if I had to leave the room but all my charges are done within 25-35 minutes max at 1C rates. I normally use the storage function to get me up to 3.9 volts per cell after flying so the next charge won't take as long.