Battery Charger

Chalagi

Now my head hurts. No I do not want o spend 3+ hours watching a battery charge. And I have heard many different types of battery chargers and yes I would like to keep things very safe from that stand point. Sooooooo are you still saying that the Hitec X4 would be my best choice?

It is a balance you need to pick, and best choice will have a lot to do with money that you can put into the charger and how much time you got. And don't get me wrong, any of these chargers should be safe. The safety I am talking about is only in how a person is using it and being there to prevent something from getting worse if something happens and even with the best charger something 'could' go wrong.

If you had a bunch of 3s or 4s batteries running 1000-3000 mah, 4x100 or even 4x80 is a great charger because it has plenty of power to handle those packs at normal charge rates.

Will grab a couple ideas for you, but before that:
- How many of these 10,000 mah batteries you have? Planning to add more?
- How much time the morning of or the day before are you willing to spend charging?

ok thanks good 2 know

If you get a chance, you can always give it a try.

In my case, My TP610 is capable of "class leading 10 amps." What I don't think they make clear is that the hard limit of 80 watts still applies. I wanted to fast charge a 3s lipo that was rated for up to a 10 amp charge. Did some quick math, 80 watts, 11.1 volts, selected 7 amps and hit charge. By the time the cell voltage was up to 4 volts per cell or 12 volt pack, I was exceeding the 80 watt limit. It starting beep with an error code on the screen. So now I make sure I use the 4.2 volts per cell when I do the quick math to determine max amps for my charger on a given battery. In this case 80 watts at 12.6 volts, leaves you with about 6.3 amps. I would round down to 5-5.5 or 6 if you really want, but I don't like to push electronics to the max even though they should be able to handle more than the 80 watt limit...

Chalagi

I'm retired so i have plenty of time and I was thinking about buying 2 or 3 6s 10,000Mah batteries

Last edited:

Hope this upload works.

So depending how many batteries you end up with or how you want to use the charger, there are some differences. For a single battery, Dynamite C3010 is pretty darn good for the money. The Dynamite C2050 beats a CellPro PL6 running at 300 watts while doing (4) batteries, but if you are just charging (1) battery the C2050 cannot keep up. This doesn't cover all your options, but most options will fit close enough to this table. If you have lots of time and wanted to do a lot of flying, the PL6 at around 1000 watts could keep you in the air all day assuming you could handle it :D

If you wanted to venture above 1C for the 6S 10,000 mah batteries you are going to need at least 600 watts of power, so I just noted it all at 1C.

I included some other popular batteries for anyone else looking as long as I was doing it. As you can see, spending more money doesn't help everywhere and this applies to each case.

If someone has a question or I made a mistake, PM me. I had just tried to clean up and make relevant a previous table from when I was debating chargers.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 414

I am not saying you guys cannot use a 80 watt per channel charger on a 10-12,000 mah battery. All I am saying is consider safety. If a charge takes 3 hours, that is 3 hours you should be near the charger and also 3 hours for something to happen that causes you to forget the battery is charging.

I like to be near my charger when it's running, even have used a baby monitor at times if I had to leave the room but all my charges are done within 25-35 minutes max at 1C rates. I normally use the storage function to get me up to 3.9 volts per cell after flying so the next charge won't take as long.
well i definitely don't want to supercharge my battery to where it's a safety concern, and your right i do have to be near my charger for those three hours, luckily my hobby room and my office are right next to each other, so i can multi-task why i wait...i'm not a fan of fast charging anyway, that's why i have so many batteries..like i have 5 batts just for my Quads, which gives me a good hour of flight time, which is about enough for me for a day, then while my 5 batts are charging for the next day of flight, i can tinker with my other models, shop for misc parts, etc, etc...but thanks again for the charging education