FREEFLY Systems Freefly ALTA, RTF collapsible hexacopter

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I may be coming at this the wrong way. The ALTA is aimed at pros, and those guys probably would just have one MōVI dedicated to top mount and another with gear aimed at classic mounting under the rig. Simple enough. Maybe that's all there is to it.

Rob,

When this comes up my recommendation is generally to have one helicopter with a gimbal on it for flying and then another gimbal for hand held work and another back up heli. if the primary heli crashes you can always use the hand-held gimbal and the backup heli to keep flying.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Rob,

When this comes up my recommendation is generally to have one helicopter with a gimbal on it for flying and then another gimbal for hand held work and another back up heli. if the primary heli crashes you can always use the hand-held gimbal and the backup heli to keep flying.

Dude, you said the "C" word.
:eek:

BatCam

RPAS Pilot
The way it looked to me, top mounting the movi you could leave the gear attached as per normal (however take it off since it's extra resistance on the pan motor) and you simply land on the battery plate, given the batteries are on the top side of the plate when it's mounted beneath the hub. I'm only guessing from what I've seen in the release video, but I think that wouldn't cause too many problems if you have a reasonable spot to land.

Dylan M

Which Switch...
Maybe you can leave the gear attached and it just involves some interesting maneuvers on landing and take offs... lol, all joking aside this is an incredible capable RTF package for an amazing price(all endorsement pending further customer beta testing).

Is there anywhere I can find more specifics about the Synapse FC? I can't seem to find any official info on the freefly site, and the internet seems to only provide years old speculation threads... I just wanna know what's so great/different about it...

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
One of the things that's become apparent about the Synapse is that Freefly seem to be planning to keep it as an integral part of the ALTA (and probably future larger copters). In other words, you probably won't be able to purchase it separately to put in your own build.

As far as what distinguishes Synapse from existing flight control systems, it's really anybody's guess right now. The folks who have been testing it (for well over a year) claim that it is far smoother than existing systems, in that it's 100% optimized for camera drones.

But another advantage in my opinion is that the ALTA was designed from the ground up by Freefly as an integrated system, with FC, ESCs, motors, props, etc. all built specifically to work with one another. That's a relatively new for this kind of copter. It's not unlike the MōVI, which is 100% Freefly-engineered.

Dylan M

Which Switch...
I was a sucker (oops, I mean OWNER) of the Freefly Cinestar gimbal with radians. That was the first and probably the last Freefly product I will ever buy. Honestly I'm very surprised by their pricing on this... normally they aren't known for their affordable systems, or customer service, but I won't get started on that...

All that said, I want to be optimistic about this because it would make everybody step their game up... I remember talks of synapse in 2012, it better be damn amazing if they have been working on it this long...

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I was a sucker (oops, I mean OWNER) of the Freefly Cinestar gimbal with radians. That was the first and probably the last Freefly product I will ever buy. Honestly I'm very surprised by their pricing on this... normally they aren't known for their affordable systems, or customer service, but I won't get started on that...

All that said, I want to be optimistic about this because it would make everybody step their game up... I remember talks of synapse in 2012, it better be damn amazing if they have been working on it this long...

For me it's been the opposite. I have had my M5 for well over a year and it's been flawless since day one. In fact I just traded some stuff for a second one. Also a friend or two has had a self caused issue with a M10 and Freely overnighted a replacement to help them get the job done. Their Zendesk seems to be spot on and really working to keep the products working.

Just my experience.

Dylan M

Which Switch...
I know a couple people that have good customer service experiences with Freefly. I did not. Still, overall I like what FF is doing. I have been waiting to see what they did with synapse for years. You notice that even with my negative experience with them I am still interested in this Hex. I wish they would think about letting go of the FC as a stand alone system. We will see what they are doing with it when people get hands on.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I know a couple people that have good customer service experiences with Freefly. I did not. Still, overall I like what FF is doing. I have been waiting to see what they did with synapse for years. You notice that even with my negative experience with them I am still interested in this Hex. I wish they would think about letting go of the FC as a stand alone system. We will see what they are doing with it when people get hands on.

I was on the short list to test the Synapse a year ago and then Poof.. but from what I saw it was the JAM for AV... I am too sad to see it be proprietary to the Alta.

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
Freefly just dropped another ALTA video. This one's sure to induce cold sweats when you stop to think about how much fancy payload is skimming so close to stuff. Watch and drool! :)

Looks like the Alta uses this motor with some mods: Cobra CM-4510/28

Seems to be nothing too special. Anyone more detailed infos? Greetings.