Welcome To DroneVibes

DroneVibes is a COMMUNITY of drones enthusiasts. We are experts at drones for all professional and consumer applications. We welcome you to register and join the conversation.

FREEFLY Systems Freefly ALTA, RTF collapsible hexacopter

Discussion in 'General Drone Manufacturer Discussion' started by Bartman, Apr 12, 2015.

1. SleepyC

SleepyC www.AirHeadMedia.com

Posted by SleepyC, Jun 28, 2015 #81
    There is no way. That motor produces 1001 grams at 50% throttle on 6s. That means the Alta would have a AUW lift capacity of 14 lbs?!? And it can carry a RED?

2. jackwrangham

jackwrangham Member

Posted by jackwrangham, Jun 28, 2015 #82
    Yeh I think it's unlikely since one of the founding members of freefly systems was the guy behind Xera motors - awesome rc Heli motors back in the day, so I think they have what they need in house to produce there own motor design!

2 people like this.
  3. Alpine Aerials

Alpine Aerials Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Austria
    Posted by Alpine Aerials, Jun 28, 2015 #83
    Sure it´s probably not the same motor but it looks kind of the same.

Also it could fly an 13600g payload according to eclac.

Attached Files:

4. Pumpkinguy

Pumpkinguy Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Toronto
    Posted by Pumpkinguy, Jun 28, 2015 #84
    The cosmetics are 95%. Close enough to open FF up for a lawsuit if the 2 companies weren't connected. I suspect they have contracted that company to take their existing design and tweak it to FF standards.

5. Dylan M

Dylan M Which Switch...

Aug 28, 2014
    NC
    Posted by Dylan M, Jul 3, 2015 #85
    This would make for a badass Dodeca frame... Wonder if I can find anybody to donate one, for the greater good...

6. Dylan M

Dylan M Which Switch...

Aug 28, 2014
    NC
  7. Pumpkinguy

Pumpkinguy Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Toronto
    Posted by Pumpkinguy, Jul 3, 2015 #87
    Badass with 3 minute flight time. Lol

4 people like this.
  8. Dylan M

Dylan M Which Switch...

Aug 28, 2014
    NC
    Posted by Dylan M, Jul 3, 2015 #88
    Haha, well it would be able to have more than 15lbs max payload. Might block their fancy LEDs a bit...

X12 is more efficient than you would think...

9. maxwelltub

maxwelltub Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Philly
    Posted by maxwelltub, Jul 8, 2015 #89
    wait this says battery wait not included in spec sheet?

10. Dylan M

Dylan M Which Switch...

Aug 28, 2014
    NC
    Posted by Dylan M, Jul 15, 2015 #90
    I think they mean that the batteries don't count towards your max 15lbs payload.

Quadrocopter has been flying a pre-pro unit with 2x16ah and that by itself is almost 9lbs.

11. maxwelltub

maxwelltub Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Philly
    Posted by maxwelltub, Jul 15, 2015 #91
    Ya I was chatting with them on Facebook, it's quite impressive

12. stevemaller

stevemaller Heavy Lifter

Oct 19, 2012
    Half Moon Bay, CA
    Posted by stevemaller, Jul 15, 2015 #92
    This is the same conversation everybody had when Freefly introduced the original MōVI. "They couldn't have made their own motors." Well, they did. And I assure you that these motors are completely done in house. Cosmetics are irrelevant. There's only so much you can do to make a big brushless motor look different.

13. Dylan M

Dylan M Which Switch...

Aug 28, 2014
    NC
    Posted by Dylan M, Jul 15, 2015 #93
    Ironically when FF released the original Movi they called those motors 'F45' too... Go figure

14. Pumpkinguy

Pumpkinguy Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Toronto
    Posted by Pumpkinguy, Jul 15, 2015 #94
    Well you are more connected to ff than most of us so you would know.

15. Hexacrafter

Hexacrafter Manufacturer

Dec 11, 2012
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    Posted by Hexacrafter, Jul 15, 2015 #95
    Just an opinion....I have no facts....
    My guess is that motors are being built as an OEM via Danlions....for FF....
    They just selected a standard case and had them produced to their own specifications.
    This is a pretty common practice as you can order nearly any motor with your mane on it as an OEM if the order is large enough...
    This saves costs as it is an existing motor case & stator....Say the 4510.......
    I had this same discussion with a motor manufacturer back in May as the size of the motor and the claims of thrust just do not seem to add up...
    I guess users will report the actual facts....

3 people like this.
  16. maxwelltub

maxwelltub Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Philly
    Posted by maxwelltub, Jul 15, 2015 #96
    if it was another company I would call BS, but free fly really seems to have some pretty impressive innovation and fore thought. I am skeptical of the flight performance with a heavy camera like a alexa mini or epic, but I guess I trust they know what they are doing. I have heard they are coming out with an octo version which I would be more interested in then the hex. I wish they would just sell the snyapse as a stand alone unit though.

17. Hexacrafter

Hexacrafter Manufacturer

Dec 11, 2012
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    Posted by Hexacrafter, Jul 15, 2015 #97
    Max...
    I want to go on record as stating that I am not calling BS.
    For all I know, the motors depicted in the current released information are just a mock-up or prototypical.
    I meant nothing derogatory toward Freefly, but agree with those speculating that the motor in the release photos & literature appears to be a 4515, and that motor would not produce the required thrust to effectively lift a RED with the current FC & ESC. As I currently understand the Hobby Based Brushless motor industry, there are just a few manufacturers who can produce the quality of motor anticipated for this aircraft. Additionally, the Cobra CM-4510 motor pre-dates the Free Fly Announcement of the Alta, so it is reasonable to believe that the design is proprietary to Danlions.
    Perhaps there is something else in the equation that we do not yet understand that would allow this size motor to produce lift beyond that currently produced by the Cobra CM-4510 series at a 50% or less throttle as is currently used as a sweet spot for multi-rotor design.
    I am as interested as everyone else to see some new motor / FC technology that will allow a better aerial platform.
    As far as flight controllers go.... I have seen huge advancements in just the last 4 years... I am hopeful of many new and exciting FC to enter the market in the next couple of years. That being said, the "BIG" companies all seem to be going down the Proprietary RTF road following the lead of DJI... this is where the mass market appears to be, so this is where they invest resources. The stand alone FC seems to be taking a second seat to the bigger mass market RTF.... sadly the User Built market is shrinking even further making it a "niche" market that most companies will not invest in as returns are limited. JMHO...

2 people like this.
  18. fltundra

fltundra Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Key Largo, FL
    Posted by fltundra, Jul 15, 2015 #98
    I think in the long run it will come full circle as multi-rotors get more and more advanced the RTF's will become just another consumer toy.

19. maxwelltub

maxwelltub Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Philly
    Posted by maxwelltub, Jul 15, 2015 #99
    Oh ya I wasn't saying that on behalf on anyone else. I mean literally I would personally call bullshit if it wasn't free fly.

20. crayfellow

crayfellow Member

May 5, 2015
    US
    Posted by crayfellow, Jul 15, 2015 #100
    I see so many parallels between the evolution of the PC since the late 1970's. A long period of homebuilt as hobbyists and pros alike assemble whatever does what they need, and in the meantime the players find their place in the hierarchy and economies of scale.

Today, very few people build their own "personal computer", but lots and lots of people are fiddling with BeagleBone Black, Raspberry Pi, Arduino, etc. So has the DIY PC market disappeared, or simply evolved?

I think you're right @fltundra@fltundra , the market will be flooded primarily with consumer toys (analogous to the bottom-dollar Windows laptop). There will be a midrange of course, but always an opportunity, or maybe even an increasing opportunity, for players who can contribute to the state of the art at the DIY or professional hacker culture. I for one hope we have @Hexacrafter@Hexacrafter and the like for a good long while, as the natural ebb and flow moves us all generally forward. The successful providers will evolve into the suppliers of the pro assemblers and service vendors of the next generation.