New Collision Avoidance System for multi-rotor heli's

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
www.skyspecs.com

From Spar Point Group article;
http://www.sparpointgroup.com/news/vol13no1-new-crash-avoidance-system-for-small-uavs

Las Vegas, NV -- During their presentation at this year's TechCrunch Battlefield at CES2015, SkySpecs launched a product that has solved the problem of obstacle avoidance for small UAVs.

The product is called Guardian, and SkySpecs co-founder Daniel Ellis described it as "a platform agnostic sensor/software suite that automatically detects obstacles in the environment and avoids them. It alters the flight path even if the operator is trying to crash the drone, or if a wind gust comes and pushes it toward the obstacle."

As proof, he showed a small video demonstration that portrayed a roto-copter (with what he said is a LiDAR sensor on top) moving away from a person when he gets too close to the UAV.

73f4cb81e5fb2906ad87d097e018331e.gif

The technology can supposedly be mounted on pretty much any UAV with a flight controller in it. If you think the current incarnation is too large, SkySpecs thinks so too. This is why they're working on a smaller version for smaller UAVs. With any luck, the smaller system would be less expensive than a LiDAR system, too.

During his presentation, Ellis positioned the system as a response to the challenges of using UAVs to scan and inspect infrastructure. While UAVs are undoubtedly useful for projects like inspecting wind turbines or power cables, he said that UAVs still require a pilot and new pilots are prone to crashes. A system like Guardian could allow companies to use their existing employees as pilots without fear of expensive crashes.

Why couldn't you just set the UAV up to fly autonomously? Ellis believes that current tech is inadequate. "If they don't have obstacle avoidance and you program an autonomous flight path," Ellis says, "[the UAV] can't see anything but its GPS signal. It's going to be pretty difficult for it to fly itself."

As to the future, Ellis explained that the company is working with the National Science Foundation (NSF) to develop a system that will allow UAVs to avoid other aircraft. He also explained some even more ambitious plans--like allowing companies to fly drones indoors.

"We'd love to license this to manufacturers and get these sensors built into drones before you buy them. So then we can develop better software to do more things, so then you can deploy a swarm of drones to fly through buildings, fly around wind turbines, and our software will provide the intelligence to do that."

Old Man

Wasn't Ellis affiliated with 3DR in some manner recently? I vaguely recall him or someone raising money for some LIDAR work on DIYdrones.

Gary Seven

Rocketman
If this actually works as advertised, and if it can be made small and light enough, and IF it is relatively affordable, then clearly this would be a huge win for RC/UAV. Yeah, lots of "ifs" there.

Bartman

an interesting project for sure, hard to say what will be separating sUAS from Cessnas in ten years though!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
A lot of "ifs" but you're right. If this can be made to work, this could be a game changer in terms of the public and gov't in the safety associated with UAV.

Bartman

i wonder what would happen to it if it flew into a hall-of-mirrors???

Old Man

If the software was integrated well with the FC it would work pretty well. The only question is the directions it would be auto programmed to turn for obstacle clearance. Sonar would work also but the LIDAR would function faster with more accuracy.

Bartman

that's so freaky i think i'm going to hide in my basement from now on (and build more "drones")

and it's from Intel! who knows what they really want to do with it....probably use it to chase people hiding in the woods trying to escape the eventual "drone" apocalypse!! lol

Old Man

This expands some possible activity at 3dR since they had already aligned with Intel in another area...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I'm trying to figure out if that Intel system is just a bunch of sonar sensors, or if it's visual. Doesn't appear to be Lidar. They really don't give any info.

I am already working on integrating Lidar collision avoidance with Arducopter. It's pretty much 1D at this point though. It's pretty hard to have a light weight, affordable Lidar sensor that also works outdoors. You can pretty much only get 2 out 3 things at this point.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Thanks!

So it says 3D camera, and "structured light". What is that, Lidar? Definitely, Intel seems like the winner so far. Hopefully it's accessible technology.

Y0urDaddy

This is a neat idea. I would love to get something like that if it was reasonably priced and could be added to my existing F450.

Old Man

University of North Dakota has also applied for a patent on sense and avoid technology. Multi sensor, functions under lost link conditions, totally automatic. I understand licensing opportunities are available.

Then there's a system by Aurora named Panoptes E-Bumper being used by a large brand name. Www.panoptesuav.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Tomstoy2

Pretty exciting stuff. 82 grams, 2-3 minutes flight reduction, beta,,, give this time and it will become a standard feature.