Which flight controller for S900 - A2 or Wookong?

Ronan

About to pull the trigger on a S900 + FC... seem's like WKM since the A2 random issues are freaking me out... This rig needs to be super reliable.

JLO

I have ask my local big DJI dealers that also have a repair department in house about the A2 in a hush hush way trying to get them to honestly tell me their point of view on the A2 they say "not one problem" I know they could be bias in favor of DJI.....or not........after all they need to sell......I guess I got to take one of them for lunch.......

tikigod19

I've been set on wkm since the s900 was announced but only today I considered a2 when I found out no rx is required however now I've read this thread start to finish it seems the safe option is still the wookong so I'm going to go with that..

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I've been set on wkm since the s900 was announced but only today I considered a2 when I found out no rx is required however now I've read this thread start to finish it seems the safe option is still the wookong so I'm going to go with that..

You need to dig deeper on here about the A2..

D

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?

A wise plan. Wookong is fantastic.

tikigod19

You need to dig deeper on here about the A2..

D
I know I'll probably be short of channels if I I use no rx but the a2 still offers and advantage in this department. Or did you mean I need to read up regarding the a2 reliability (and that it's no longer an issue?)

I'm a simple man with a simple mind I can't absorb your coded messages ;)

tikigod19

Ben do you use lightbridge? You might have seen on one of the Fb groups I'm chatting to somebody about my s900 options and he's pushing the Lightbridge hard. I still don't think I'll benefit from hd downlink but it apparently gives full 8 channel control of the gimbal and makes setup much simpler. The build I'm not worried about the but the software setup is another matter..

Benjamin Kenobi

No I don't, and personally I don't recommend it. Stick with 5.8GHz for video as that's all you'll really need for 99.99% of jobs.

tikigod19

You just mean as the 2.4 has increased range? Didn't the CAA only recently fail to pass a vote to ban 5.6? At the same time they agreed to look into a2 safety. Bit worrying for the future..

Benjamin Kenobi

Sounds like you're getting confused to me. What's the point in increased range when you can only legally fly 500m away? 5.8GHz is great at this kind of range. The CAA banned 5.8ghz as a control frequency, for video it is fine, hence why we all use it.

tikigod19

Ah right I get you! I didn't realise it referred to control frequency. Well my 25mw (is that still the UK legal max?) struggles at 500m so would a Lightbridge be better?

tikigod19

Also I've been told the a2 software has an option for the landing gear to go down in the event of failsafe however it doesn't in the wkm software. Any s900 wkm flyers tried failsafe yet?

Benjamin Kenobi

WKM doesn't lower the landing gear when you activate failsafe from a switch, but you can if the transmitter is switched off (true failsafe).

Which antennas are you using with your 5.8ghz video? I find the little patch antennas make for a bulletproof signal.

tikigod19

I'm using bluebeams. They're great in clear line of sight but stick a tree in the way and they fall apart. OK great, I'd never failsafe with a switch anyway so that's reassuring thanks. Final question for you as you're fast becoming my s900 oracle, what tx and importantly rx are you using personally?

PMaughan

Also I've been told the a2 software has an option for the landing gear to go down in the event of failsafe however it doesn't in the wkm software. Any s900 wkm flyers tried failsafe yet?

Benjamin got there just before me.

Don't forget the extra weight of A2 if that's an issue for you.

Benjamin Kenobi

Bluebeams are supposed to be great. I would still consider patch antennas on the ground, they penetrate trees better.

I personally use Spektrum stuff. DX10t transmitter, receivers are AR12010 on S900 and AR10000 on my S800.

Oh, you mean for video? ImmersionRC VTx and Black pearl monitor with two patch antennas.

tikigod19

Certainly is an issue PMaughan the wkm is the way to go. Just need to decide tx, rx and to Lightbridge or not to Lightbridge! (leaning towards not..)

tikigod19

Na I meant for control Ben. How many channels do you get on your s900? I've always used spektrum in the past so would be more comfortable but thought futaba was the way to go as everyone (else) seems to prefer them