XAircraft Where should I mount the SuperX?!

neavissa

I am wondering if my crash had something to do with the SuperX's position?! It was mounted flush to the underside of my Tarot 650 frame. This time I am thinking about mounting it, on one of these three positions... I like the one on the bottom the best. Keeps it safe and out of the way. The second best, is the one on the frame, on top of that little plate. Third, and my least favorite position is the one smack in the middle. I don't like it because I was going to put the PDB there?!

thanks,

G
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20140811_132704_resize.jpg
    20140811_132704_resize.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 307
  • 20140811_132736_resize.jpg
    20140811_132736_resize.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 306
  • 20140811_141149_resize.jpg
    20140811_141149_resize.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 320

mediaguru

I've read the best place is right in the center of gravity of the bird. Others say perhaps mounting it on the same plane as the motors/blades.

Here's where mine is, right on the level of the top plate, which is right in line with the motors/props. This placement seems to have worked well on my 960. I have moved some other things around since then but the FC is in the same place.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2544.jpg
    IMG_2544.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 290

neavissa

Thanks for the input. I know they say to put it on the "CG". The only problem with that is, that pretty much everyone things the CG is where the arms meet, or on the plane of the Rotors?! That is not true. You would have to incorporate the Z axis, in order to find the true CG. I am sure you are aware of that. The question now is, did the developers compensate for the fact, that people get this wrong all the time?! Maybe they just wanted to keep it simple and are calling that Weight and Balance point, CG?! I have never seen any manufacturer include instructions on where and how to find the CG. That makes me think that they indeed want to keep it simple and just call it "on the CG"?! I hope I am explaining this wright?!

That being said, I would think that indeed the true CG would be the best place to mount it. Since I don't feel like building some sort of apparatus, to find the CG, I am going to mount it on the underside! I like the spot you have it as well, as it is the most common spot to mount the FC, but my wires are going to be in the way, i.e. the will be going around the FC. Not sure if that is a good idea to do?!

thanks,

G

p.s. I actually believe the true CG must be somewhere underneath the frame...

mediaguru

Yeah there has to be some common sense. I have not tried my FC in any other locale so I don't have anything to compare it to but since it seems to work well where it is, I'm not messing with it.

It has flown well in two very different configurations as far as the COG of the bird goes. First I had the gimbal forward and two 5000mAh batteries back, both hanging from the rails. Lately I've put the gimbal directly below in the center and the batteries on top.

neavissa

Yeah there has to be some common sense. I have not tried my FC in any other locale so I don't have anything to compare it to but since it seems to work well where it is, I'm not messing with it.

It has flown well in two very different configurations as far as the COG of the bird goes. First I had the gimbal forward and two 5000mAh batteries back, both hanging from the rails. Lately I've put the gimbal directly below in the center and the batteries on top.

I hear you. I am just hoping that someone had mounted it underneath and is able to confirm, that it will not be a problem...

Thanks,

G

mediaguru

I've never seen anyone mount an FC down there. My instinct tells me that is not a good option. I'd go with your first photo first, then your second option.

neavissa

I've never seen anyone mount an FC down there. My instinct tells me that is not a good option. I'd go with your first photo first, then your second option.
That's what I mean. It feels wrong. If you could trust the manufacturer, I would mount it there, since that is way closer to the CG, than any other position. But like I said, I believe the manufacturer themselves get the term CG wrong!?

How ridiculous...

Thanks,

G

neavissa

I decided to mount it like this... on the little plate on top. If I were to mount it on the frame directly, I would have to do a lot more work, in order to make my wires longer... unless off course the FC can sit in the middle of all those power lines...!?

Thanks,

G

P.s. I was pretty much done setting everything up, ran the motors a couple of times in order to check the black box, when suddenly motor 3 starts to pulse!? It also got hot after only running a few minutes on the bench. Same goes for the esc. Got hot. Could this have anything to do with the FC!?
bfb2efc7aea08ddd70c477c92a2fc66b.jpg

fltundra

Forgot... I put the I/O unit on the bottom, under the frame, mounted on a battery tray.
ef246d1945ff2aa13a6c053a338539d4.jpg

You would remove a lot of weight and unnessary wind resistance by removing those butt connectors and getting the motor wires inside of the tubes. Cut those rail tubes shorter.

neavissa

You would remove a lot of weight and unnessary wind resistance by removing those butt connectors and getting the motor wires inside of the tubes. Cut those rail tubes shorter.
Nah, to much work...

I am having a hard time setting up my fail safe when my radio is turned off. Fail safe via switch works fine...

Any ideas!?

Thanks,

G

neavissa

Nah, to much work...

I am having a hard time setting up my fail safe when my radio is turned off. Fail safe via switch works fine...

I have the futaba 8fgs and the r6203sb receiver.

Any ideas!?

Thanks,

G

kloner

Aerial DP
the mention of heat heads down the esc incompatibility road....

put on one prop, take it outside and hold it down well, rev the throttle, see if it is locking up with fast input...

for futaba you have to go to the "failsafe menu" and set the channel controlling safe mode to be set.