Mikrokopter Newbie to Mikrokopter

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I am considering switching over from DJI equipment to the Mikrokopter FC system....... long story!
In any case I am not familiar with the Mikrokopter FC systems and components but have Cinestar 8 and Cinestar 6 Aerial platforms that should not be too difficult to set up with MK.

So what will I require so as to have similar functionality to the DJI WooKong and/or the DJI A2....e.g., GPS with return to home function as well as waypoint mission control at some point.
MK FC version 2.5 ME?
MK GPS version 2.1?
GPS shield?
MK USB?
DC converter?

Also will I be able to use my existing ESCs which are individual 45 amp OPT which have proven very reliable with my T-motor 4012-11s

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I am considering switching over from DJI equipment to the Mikrokopter FC system....... long story!
In any case I am not familiar with the Mikrokopter FC systems and components but have Cinestar 8 and Cinestar 6 Aerial platforms that should not be too difficult to set up with MK.

So what will I require so as to have similar functionality to the DJI WooKong and/or the DJI A2....e.g., GPS with return to home function as well as waypoint mission control at some point.
MK FC version 2.5 ME?
MK GPS version 2.1?
GPS shield?
MK USB?
DC converter?

Also will I be able to use my existing ESCs which are individual 45 amp OPT which have proven very reliable with my T-motor 4012-11s

graydon,

4S or 6S or other for power?

Bartman

in that case you'll need the newest versions of the flight controller (FC 2.5) and the speed controllers (BL 3.0). then you'll need the Navi board and the GPS board w/ GPS shield. you'll also need an MKUSB to be able to hook up to your laptop.

later you can get a telemetry system like the one 3DR sells and that will also allow you to hook up to your computer but all firmware updates must be done via the MKUSB.

it's great stuff, you won't be sorry.

the older stuff that's widely available in the classifieds for practically nothing is still very good with up to 4S packs.

baja-king

Here for the ride :)
I'm thinking of giving MK a go - just for '****s & Giggles' :)

I want to use it with my Herkules III so I'm judging by the manual that I will not need the BL 3.0 speed controllers?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Herk.jpg
    Herk.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 318

baja-king

Do I need the Navi-Ctrl V2.0 to use the GPS position hold and return to home - not interested in waypoints...

baja-king

Do I need the Navi-Ctrl V2.0 to use the GPS position hold and return to home - not interested in waypoints...

I think the answer is yes...

So what else do I need other than:

Flight-Ctrl V2.5 ME
https://www.mikrocontroller.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=802
Set: Navigation
https://www.mikrocontroller.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=761
MK USB
https://www.mikrocontroller.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=283

...do I need? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

if you're going to use 3S or 4S packs then you can use the FC 2.2, available in a number of classifieds for pennies on the dollar (figuratively speaking :) )

you'll also be fine with the BL 2.0 speed controllers.

If you want to be able to swap over to 6S packs at some point then buy the FC 2.5 and BL 3.0 speed controllers.

THe Navi and GPS boards go with either the FC 2.2 or FC 2.5 flight controllers.

You'll need the Navi and GPS to have position hold and return to home. Waypoint capabilities will be there waiting for you should you ever decide to try them. THere are also a handful of failsafe functions that will need Navi/GPS to function.

Bart

ovdt

You will be happy with MK stuff.

Baja, you can use Herkules III with Mikrokopter flight controller as I do :) You install the latest Herkules III I2C firmware 1.06 and thn you're good to go. You will not see a difference in flight performance. I also use BL Ctrl 3.0, 2.0 on various copters.

The best part of MK, if you use Graupner or Jeti transmitters you have the whole telemetry on your TX. And you have a good support from MK.

baja-king

You will be happy with MK stuff.

Baja, you can use Herkules III with Mikrokopter flight controller as I do :) You install the latest Herkules III I2C firmware 1.06 and thn you're good to go. You will not see a difference in flight performance. I also use BL Ctrl 3.0, 2.0 on various copters.

The best part of MK, if you use Graupner or Jeti transmitters you have the whole telemetry on your TX. And you have a good support from MK.

Thanks, I have Jeti DS-16 so sounds good. Can anyone comment on flight performance vs WKM...

ovdt

Flight performance of MK has been it's one of the strongest points all the time. The last thing to worry about :)

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
Look for the MK Navi-Ctrl 2.1 instead of the 2.0. The only change is a on-board Molex connector for MK's external compass, which has dramatically improved things for me. It'll work with the MK Navi-Ctrl 2.0, too, but requires some soldering to connect it.

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
And I must chime in here on MK in general. The one thing that completely sets it apart is the amount of visibility into the inner workings of the stack. The amount of data to which you have access is unparalleled. ESC temps for each individual unit (called "BLs"), current draws for each BL, detailed GPS playback of flights...it's all there. Of course, you don't need to look at it, but if you do, you'll not only be able to truly tune your copter for the best performance, but you'll often be able to see a problem before it becomes a BIG problem (like one that has a splash or flames at the end of it). MK may have some issues from time to time (don't we all? ask my wife/therapist/kids...) but their support is terrific.

Bartman

Look for the MK Navi-Ctrl 2.1 instead of the 2.0. The only change is a on-board Molex connector for MK's external compass, which has dramatically improved things for me. It'll work with the MK Navi-Ctrl 2.0, too, but requires some soldering to connect it.

actually for 4S the one to look for is the FC 2.2.....it's a 2.1 with an ACC mod to improve altitude hold and GPS PH performance.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
WKM at fw 5.2 and 5.26 work very well..... my last WKM is well beyond 300 flights now..... unfortunately I sold it after about 150 to move "up" to the A2.....
As I don't have a MK system yet I can only speculate as to the differences. Based on what I have witnessed though, I was shocked as to how long a friend's MK was able to fly with a good size camera and only 4S batteries.
Could be the MK esc efficiency in combination with the higher energy density Thunder Power batteries he was using.
You have to stick handle the WKM on takeoff and especially on landing or you can get a tipover. From videos I have seen the MK will take off on it's own then hover at about 7 feet and autoland the same way..... so much easier IMHO.

Thanks, I have Jeti DS-16 so sounds good. Can anyone comment on flight performance vs WKM...

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
actually for 4S the one to look for is the FC 2.2.....it's a 2.1 with an ACC mod to improve altitude hold and GPS PH performance.
I was talking about the Navi control.
But if you're talking about the Flight Ctrl, you're better off with the 2.5 version just in case you want to upgrade to 6S at some point. It has all the latest improvements.

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
Does MK have a motor out algorithm like the WKM?
Do you mean will it fly with one motor gone missing?
Absolutely yes.
It's happened to me with my original Cinestar 8 (flat octo config), and many since have reported successful landings after losing a motor, prop or ESC.