Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Not on a SkyJib X4

Airframe = 4.7 KG
Batteries (2 X 8300 6S) = 2Kg
Z15 with NEX7 = 2kg

8.7kg

What airframe do you mean Ben, S800?

Indeed, or another airframe. The EVO would still be over 7kg because of the retracts, unless you went for a single lipo setup. I'd rather be able to accept all the jobs with my current license rather than have to apply for extra permissions each time, with the delay and expense that comes with it. Clients are always in a rush it seems!

Cheshirecat

I would go down the Y6 route with a Zenmuse for Sub 7kg

I wish Droidworxs still made the ADH Y6 platform, that would be my first choice. I keep looking out for them coming up for sale but i think they will be worth their weight in gold from October.

Cheshirecat

Indeed, or another airframe. The EVO would still be over 7kg because of the retracts, unless you went for a single lipo setup. I'd rather be able to accept all the jobs with my current license rather than have to apply for extra permissions each time, with the delay and expense that comes with it. Clients are always in a rush it seems!

Single LiPo, Nope too much of a safety compromise. What you say Ben is perfectly sensible and i am close to doing my RPQ Flight assessment with the SkyJib, but it looks very likely i will be putting a smaller Coax Octo or a Hex on the shopping list soon, just got to find a chassis i have faith in.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Cant believe no body investing in heavy lifters did not look into this, its been on the cards for over a year now and was re-enforced at the 'Congested' area flying conference earlier this year. It was then we built a sub7 4k rig. Its all going to be about how you present your safety case for operation and it will be about your experience as well as your knowledge of the craft you are flying. Once you have completed your safety case and proved your ability to conduct safe flights you will be sorted. In my opinion its well overdue.

OABTW Cheshirecat.. its a Y6 and flies easily for 15mins!

Last edited by a moderator:

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Droider hits the nail on the head. It will be on how you present your safety case. The CAA are currently working on a template that will come out in time for people to write their case to work in urban area and/or at closer proximity to people and property.

1lifefilm

Info notice 115

Hi Ben

Given the changes in October I'm really struggling on my choice of machine (just done theory paper today and about to start ops man!) It seems a lot of guys are going for the phantom 2 but I'm not sure about its limited capability (no disrespect to phantom owners). I'm probably looking for something more capable but sub 7, any thoughts please?

Thanks
Simon

Benjamin Kenobi

I'm not sure to be honest. I'm still using my old faithful original S800 with Zenmuse and GH2. The footage still goes down well with producers and the like. Did another BBC series today and got some great stuff. Also got some footage airing on ITV this week.

Dave's suggestion of a Y6, in my opinion, is one of the more robust and versatile frames available.

You'd be limited with a GoPro to be honest.

It's the gimbal and camera that's important. A light airframe with decent and reliable motors/ESC to lift it and you're away! The foldable Tarot frames are popular. I'm no expert as I'm a 'one aircraft' kind of guy and very limited in my experience with other airframes.

Any help?

Benjamin Kenobi

Hi Ben
thanks for the reply, will your 800 come in under 7 though?
Thanks
Simon

Yes, 6.85kg to be exact! I'm constantly weighing it and seeing where I can lose a bit more weight. I need to shed another 50g if I want to put a GH4 on it. I got some digital fishing scales off of Amazon to weigh it, and some little digi scales to measure individual parts. Removing excess wires and connectors can save you a bit. Adding retracts (DJI ones) would add another 500g so they're out for me. I constantly fighting to keep the skids out of shot!

Cheshirecat

I have been looking at the Sky Hero range.
Not super keen on the idea of the ESC inside the booms unless they are very effectively ventilated and the plastic motor mounts is a bit of a concern but even the biggest X8 frame only weights 980g.
I looking to see if a Herkules would fit in side. it looks like it would and i have seen one with a cinestar gimbal mounted.
the Y 6 Spy (unfortunate name in the current political climate) is even lighter.
Anybody seen one up close?

1lifefilm

Hi Benjamin
Sorry.....me again! I'm now thinking seriously about the S800 Evo but I need your advice as a pro user. There is much mixed feedback on this machine on the web though I'm sure much of this is not necessarily down to the machine itself! What's your honest opinion on the S800, if you were going to buy a machine tomorrow in this weight and price bracket would you buy it again or something else?

Much appreciate your advice, so difficult to filter the quality of feedback on the web!
Cheers
Simon

Benjamin Kenobi

Howdy Simon,

Hmmm, difficult question.

Yes, I would buy it again. I don't have the EVO, just an original S800. With the EVO I imagine you would need a single lipo setup to keep it under 7kg which means shortish flight times of probably around 6 minutes?

I really like the look of the Vulcan frames. I imagine the Y6 they have is sub 7kg.

I like the S800 because if you have a concern over a motor or ESC you just replace the whole arm (when on a job) and get on with it. I've had two failures so far, I believe ESC's, and just landed it and popped a new arm on.

To be honest I want an S1000 for it's pack down system. Sod the sub 7kg thing as you don't always need to be in a congested area. The best jobs are out in the open!

Saying that, I'm off to London again tomorrow to fly near Tower Bridge! I know it sounds exciting, but it really isn't because of the added stress! I love a nice country mansion.

Sorry, off topic as usual. Did I answer your question anywhere in that ramble? Yes, I like the S800. Treat her gently in transport and don't lift her by the arms.

1lifefilm

Thanks Benjamin

Yes that's a big help...I love the look of the S1000 also and I don't think you can restrict yourself to sub 7 if your serious and want to do great things! What camera would you put on the S1000 out of interest, presumably it doesn't have to be a 5D?

Thanks again, have fun tomorrow!

Simon

QUOTE=Benjamin Kenobi;175913]Howdy Simon,

Hmmm, difficult question.

Yes, I would buy it again. I don't have the EVO, just an original S800. With the EVO I imagine you would need a single lipo setup to keep it under 7kg which means shortish flight times of probably around 6 minutes?

I really like the look of the Vulcan frames. I imagine the Y6 they have is sub 7kg.

I like the S800 because if you have a concern over a motor or ESC you just replace the whole arm (when on a job) and get on with it. I've had two failures so far, I believe ESC's, and just landed it and popped a new arm on.

To be honest I want an S1000 for it's pack down system. Sod the sub 7kg thing as you don't always need to be in a congested area. The best jobs are out in the open!

Saying that, I'm off to London again tomorrow to fly near Tower Bridge! I know it sounds exciting, but it really isn't because of the added stress! I love a nice country mansion.

Sorry, off topic as usual. Did I answer your question anywhere in that ramble? Yes, I like the S800. Treat her gently in transport and don't lift her by the arms.[/QUOTE]

pj1967

I Have a New Name to Add to all this Confusion - I now call my Rig if anyone ever asks, an UnManned Aerial Transport System or UATS as it's Carrying/Transporting my Camera.

Any Thoughts out there.

I'm not sure we've ever quite nailed exactly the guidelines for SUSAs (let's go with the CAA terms here) under 7kg, I.e. a Phantom or similar with camera. My reading of the document is that 150m remains the minimum distance for congested areas. However, others have told me that they believe the CAA intended to include sub 7kg SUSAs along with SUAs as being constrained only by the 50m limit. Is table 3.1 on page 3 definitely correct, esp 167(1)&(2)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks Ben. It looks like the CAA realised the dog's dinner it had made of the original issue of that document in April (2014/081) and made this amendment. I hadn't seen the July version, hence my confusion looking at the April version.

Benjamin Kenobi

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's only when you compare a sub 7kg to an over 7kg permissions that you see the difference.