It's official, I'm out.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hi guys,

Was just talking to the wife and with all of the stuff going on in our personal life I've decided I'm bowing out of the aerial media production business. My intention in getting out of the media production business is to focus on running MultiRotorForums.com and get back to doing contests, more (and more) product reviews, more group builds, etc., etc., etc.

I've got six helicopters in the basement and it looks like three are going to be sold along with a lot of extra parts and other stuff. For sale will be the group build F450/NAZA, the A2/Zenmuse hexacopter, and probably one of the the other xy8's that I've got (maybe Hoverfly, maybe mikrokopter). I'm planning to keep the XY4/NAZA, the Mikrokopter/Mōvi, and maybe the XY8/Hoverfly heli's.

Not sure why I'm sharing all of this but it feels good to have finally made the decision.

Bart

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I'm not sure how to react?! No more aerial media production but more time on the forum. Nooooo.....yaaaayyyy!?

Glad you shared this with us nonetheless. We like it personal. :nevreness:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I think this aerial thing is a phase in most of our lives. As technology changes so fast, the FAA, over saturation and the constant negative view from the public's eye are all weights on our shoulders when trying to keep an aerial business going. This business model only works if you are able to dedicate 100% of your time to it. A lot of us have day jobs and just dont have the time/energy to fight to fly for a living. I just kept my Y6 laying around for that very reason. I'll leave all the real jobs to all the professional Phantom pilots out there that have destroyed this whole industry for everyone but DJI.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Sounds like a weight has been lifted, hope it all works out for you.

Pete

Agreed. I know running a small business is tough enough when you DO have 100% to throw into it. But with the current state of affairs - and your other responsibilities, maybe this will free up the little time you have left to just enjoy flying....and not get arrested for aerial photography :)

filmfly

Hey Bart,

I for one think it's a tragedy for the industry and your clients to lose you as an aerial media operator, and yet at the same time I completely understand. You have sacrificed a lot to get where you are, and it's certainly a good thing to keep focused on what the real goals are. We all look forward to continuing to learn from your experience and to benefit from the work you put into this community. You have a lot to offer, and we appreciate what you do.

Bartman

@Dave, I was going to give you a call today if you're around.

between my regular job and my kids i just don't have the time i had a few years ago when i got started. with less time there's a lot less flexibility and it's been hard this year to keep up given that the weather is good on the days I don't plan to fly and bad on the days that I have planned to fly. customers have been very accommodating but you can only be a professional that sucks for so long before you have to just admit defeat. :(

SamaraMedia

customers have been very accommodating but you can only be a professional that sucks for so long before you have to just admit defeat. :(

Bart, I wouldn't call what you've done a defeat. I completely understand where you are coming from as well with all the pressures of daily life and trying to keep your business "off the ground" so to speak but what you've accomplished with this UAV community is something to be very proud of. I wish you the best of luck in your pursuit of happiness and will continue to look to MRF for guidance through this murky time in our industry.

John

jfro

Aerial Fun
I've spent a lot of money and time to learn to fly and get good steady video & photo's as a hobby. I was open to maybe someday, safety permitting as well as working within current laws and regulations, doing some commercial jobs.

However, my first goal was video and photo's of some of natures beautiful spots as a hobby. National parks banning MR's is a huge blow, as I envisioned some vacations around the U.S. getting those golden sunrise / sunset shots that I can't get from the ground. Now the proposed FAA rules have certainly mead me wonder if I should continue to pour money and time into this hobby. I'll be too old before this all gets sorted out.

Bart, I'm curious as to if the current climate (National Parks banning and FAA proposals) had any influence on your decision.

Bartman

I've spent a lot of money and time to learn to fly and get good steady video & photo's as a hobby. I was open to maybe someday, safety permitting as well as working within current laws and regulations, doing some commercial jobs.

However, my first goal was video and photo's of some of natures beautiful spots as a hobby. National parks banning MR's is a huge blow, as I envisioned some vacations around the U.S. getting those golden sunrise / sunset shots that I can't get from the ground. Now the proposed FAA rules have certainly mead me wonder if I should continue to pour money and time into this hobby. I'll be too old before this all gets sorted out.

Bart, I'm curious as to if the current climate (National Parks banning and FAA proposals) had any influence on your decision.

Not really..it has more to do with the difficulties I've had keeping commitments while also working, parenting, and dealing with equipment/personnel/weather/house issues.

I'm asking myself why I even posted this thread and I think the point I'd like to get across is that this business seems so easy to folks coming in but it's a huge time suck and making money can be hard. I've got the customers and the equipment but just can't seem to get my schedule to work out. I've also got the unique problem of having a forum to run and it just seems that it's time to choose between having multirotorforums.com as my side gig or my media company. trying to do both has been too much.

cootertwo

Ahhh, the old "A fun hobby becomes a business, not fun anymore" It's very hard to turn something we "like" to do, into something that also makes us money at the same time. Too much competition, too many idiots, too many cut throats. Like you said Bartman, it will take awhile for all this chit to sort out. Meanwhile, I just continue to break the law, flying around my one acre with goggles on, causing my neighbors to look at me like I'm a criminal, or employee of the CIA HA! And now, I not only have to worry about the gestapo kicking my door in to take my guns, I have to worry about them kicking in my door to take my GOGGLES !!!!! ha ha ha:upset:

Bartman

hobby, business, hobby, business....there never really was a clear line between the two as I had fun with the heli's even though they were always for the business!

Amerly

Hi Bart,

Thank you for making this forum available to the community... I spent hundreeds of hours reading fantastic info in the past years... So much usefull tip from all users... I'm glad you stay on about that part :) Fun fly and familly for the rest...

Cheers and big thanks from Montreal !

Bartman

Hi Bart,

Thank you for making this forum available to the community... I spent hundreds of hours reading fantastic info in the past years... So much useful tip from all users... I'm glad you stay on about that part :) Fun fly and family for the rest...

Cheers and big thanks from Montreal !

Thanks for the nod Amerly, I appreciate it.
Bart

coreyperez

Thanks for all you have done! I've learned so much from the beginner's forums/group build to "honing my skills" and expanding to the great beyond.

I too can appreciate your focus on family. You can give everything to a cause, but its the family who ultimately suffers the most. So congratulations on re-caging your focus and putting it on what REALLY matters.

Corey

Happy 4th!View attachment 18978

Attachments

• IMG_5563.jpg
    IMG_5563.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 231

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Bart there is no defeat in realizing that something you created is popular and is demanding attention.
As a guy who works in both the Forum industry and the Aerial industry... there are only 2 - 3 forums that are viable in the market. and 1000+ aerial companies.
You own 1 of maybe 3 sites that can say they have a major impact on the world of multi rotors. No shame in focusing on that!
In fact, I think some one (ahem) has been telling you to do this for a long time.

Now get on it! I want to win some contests!

:D