DJI S800 EVO-Current Issues

Folks, I've been in the RC aerial industry for 10 years and have told many newbies to "do a search". However, I'm contemplating the purchase of a new S800 EVO and can possibly save a lot of research time by getting an answer to the following question; Have the "flip of death", ESC capacitor, motor vibration damper, and random "fly away" issues been resolved at this point?

In other words, how much rigging will I need to do to make a stock kit perform reliably? (Coming from a guy that has used the same TRex 700 helicopter for thousands of images over the past five years)

Tahoe Ed

I have a S800 non-Evo. However, it is using V2 arms, which are actually the third generation and have updated escs and stranded wire. I also have the vibration isolations mounts for the arms to the frame. Basically it is a non-Evo Evo. I have never had an issue with vibration. I did have a Z15 with Nex5 mounted and now I have upgraded from the WKM to an A2 with Lightbridge and will be mounting a Zen for BMPCC as soon as I have it sorted out. I think it is a nice package but there are others that do not like the arms. I have not had the "flip of death" which was attributed to controller issues. The WKM is a stable proven platform. The A2 has the potential to surpass its performance but there are not enough units out at this time and the firmware is still undergoing some enhancements.

If you dig hard enough for the dirt, you will always find it.
What you will not see is the thousands who are flying their MRs with no issues other than pilot error starting with misconfiguration on the hobby bench.

Motor and/or prop vibration needs to be resolved on the bench before flying any system..... and some FCs are more sensitive to that than are others.

Folks, I've been in the RC aerial industry for 10 years and have told many newbies to "do a search". However, I'm contemplating the purchase of a new S800 EVO and can possibly save a lot of research time by getting an answer to the following question; Have the "flip of death", ESC capacitor, motor vibration damper, and random "fly away" issues been resolved at this point?

In other words, how much rigging will I need to do to make a stock kit perform reliably? (Coming from a guy that has used the same TRex 700 helicopter for thousands of images over the past five years)

Is there still a higher-than-should-be percentage of ESC's that are failing due to a faulty capacitor solder joint?

I read about motor dampers cracking over time but some folks eluded to making sure props are extended before flight as a solution. What are your thoughts on this?

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Hi there mate,

I have been flying my original S800 since March last year. I have had a generally good run with it. I do think the arm/frame mounts are a weak point to be honest. In the last six months I have replaced two arms (both clockwise). I believe these arms developed loose connections from the way I carry it where I grab the loading rail under the left side which put sideways stress on motors 2 and 4. One of those arms failed in flight (just last Friday when I was filming a balloon being launched into space) and I had to land straight away. Admittedly it flew fine with one motor out but scary nonetheless. Changed arm and continued with the rest of the flights.

I have had over 100 hours of fault free flights over the past year. As far as frames go it is delicate. Don't carry it by the arms. Storing it with the arms off is actually a good idea. I used to pack it all down after every session and never had a problem. It has been since I started transporting it fully built the wear in the frame mounts has started to surface.

Since I'm licensed for an S800 I'm sticking it out for now. I have earnt back what I spend on it and then some so financially it has been a good investment. My next frame will be far more robust like a Vulcan!

Hope this helps. :02.47-tranquillity: