Mikrokopter A piece came off a new BL, can it be soldered back on?

Mactadpole

I was mounting my new Okto XL distribution board when I guess my finger knocked the piece circled in the pic below off. Can't believe it came off that easy. Anyhow, can it just be soldered back on? does the direction matter? Bummed:(

Shawn

View attachment 949

Attachments

• BL_20_TOP_001.jpg
    BL_20_TOP_001.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 283

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
shawn
i'm so sorry to see this happened. if the part came off cleanly then you should be able to clean the solder pads where it connects and reattach it. use a touch of flux to help the solder flow and stick. if the part that came off also broke as it came off then you can try to source a replacement component or just call quadrocopter.us and ask them how they'd like you to handle it. given your time constraints do you have time for them to send you another one?
good luck with it.
bart

ovdt

Yes it can be soldered.. I had the same issue while soldering my PDB. I splashed solder over one of those tiny IC and while I was trying to clean, that IC was already at loose. I think those are filters. Use a big magnifier while soldering this.

I don't know exactly about the polarity, but I carefully placed it exactly the same way like on the other BL-Ctrl.

Mactadpole

The time gun pointed at me is what makes it so frustrating. It did not break, just lifted off at the two solder pads and the two little tabs are still sticking out from it. I don't trust myself soldering something this small. Do you think if I took it to a TV repair place they could do something like this? I know a little mom and pop shop that I drive by and I could go by there tomorrow. Argh...one step forward two steps back.

Shawn

Bartman

shawn
call quadrocopter.us before you touch it. ask them what they can do to support your purchase. if there's someone local that works on it and screws it up more, i can see you being told it's your problem and not theirs. they may understand your time constraints and agree with you to have it brought somewhere. i'd ask them to pay the bill.
bart

Mactadpole

shawn
call quadrocopter.us before you touch it. ask them what they can do to support your purchase. if there's someone local that works on it and screws it up more, i can see you being told it's your problem and not theirs. they may understand your time constraints and agree with you to have it brought somewhere. i'd ask them to pay the bill.
bart

Good suggestion and can't hurt. Will call them in AM. Thanks Bart.

Shawn

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
This aint good this is yet another BL that bits have fallen off! I had the same thing happen.. I returned mine to the seller but have yet not even had conformation they have got it..grr. they like selling but not replacing.. mmm must go mail um!

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
No wonder they want you to solder things yourself. With this lack of QC I cant imagine feeling very comfortable in the air. And all those vibrations are certainly not going to help if anything is borderline loose.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
No wonder they want you to solder things yourself. With this lack of QC I cant imagine feeling very comfortable in the air. And all those vibrations are certainly not going to help if anything is borderline loose.
And this is where the WKM is going to really hit MK..

Mactadpole

I was told this piece is a resistor by the seller. They said it was a 5 minute fix but I would need to send it back. I leave in 10 days for a shoot out of the country so I decided to stop by the local TV repair place and the guy told me no problem and seemed confident it was an easy fix. Said it would be ready in the AM and only $10. That's a lot less than the $40 next day shipping for just one way. Hopefully I will pick it up and all is good. I must admit it is very disheartening that such an expensive piece of electronics has pieces fall off so easily.

The DJI WKM does look like a promising platform but I must have waypoint navigation for some of the research work I plan to do. I can buy a lot of MK stuff for the ~$10K they charge for their waypoint navigation system.

Emowillcox

That is a bit sad to think you can buy such expensive gear from MK and something can fall off it like that. Imagine if you had your machine flying and had gone out of the country to work on your project and then it came apart.... now that would be really bad news. Hope that TV repair shop gets it fixed for you... wonder if you will be able to use it to watch TV once you get it back.

Mactadpole

That is a bit sad to think you can buy such expensive gear from MK and something can fall off it like that. Imagine if you had your machine flying and had gone out of the country to work on your project and then it came apart.... now that would be really bad news. Hope that TV repair shop gets it fixed for you... wonder if you will be able to use it to watch TV once you get it back.

I think all I can do at this point is hope it works when I pick it up tomorrow and then try to fly the heck out of it before I leave to make sure it is holding together. If all else fails I have a Y6 ready that I just need to move my HFP board to and start flying. I would also need to move landing gear and gimbal but that is easy. I actually don't even know yet that the full suite of MK electronics is going to solve the little twitch problem on my X8! Sure hope it does.

The shoot that I am doing came up unexpectedly and primarily focuses on my canopy amphibian research, so I will be doing a lot of tree climbing and messing with bromeliads while they film. They just asked if I could also bring along one of my copters to hopefully get some bonus footage. I'll give you all more details when it is 100% finalized or when I get back if I run out of time.

Shawn

Crash

Defies Psychics
I believe that is D2 diode. If so, it is polarized and has a marking band on it. I think the TV guy will get it right but check afterwards just in case.

This is not the first time that parts have just fallen off these V2 ESCs. It's further proof that there is a manufacturing problem. I would keep spares if you are on a time schedule.

Welcome to the Mk lottery. Do you feel lucky today?

Mactadpole

@#&$! Well, the TV repair guy lost the piece! We have both been looking around his bench and can't find it. Does anyone know a part number for this thing? It had a W2 on the top.

:mad:

Mactadpole

Thanks Crash! I also found the first one you suggested used by someone over on rcg with no problems. I went ahead and ordered a couple of each and the smallest tip available for my Weller soldering iron to take with me. I also ordered another BL as a backup and Adam at Quadrocopter.us is sending me another diode he found on a trashed BL which was nice of him. They should be here Thursday so the TV repair guy gets another shot.

Why do great opportunities usual come with short notice? :confused:

Shawn

Bartman

shawn
i just left you a voicemail. i've got a complete okto distribution ring sitting on my desk. it just occurred to me that i can send it to you and you can send yours back for repair if things don't work out in the next 24 to 48 hours.
regards,
bart

Mactadpole

shawn
i just left you a voicemail. i've got a complete okto distribution ring sitting on my desk. it just occurred to me that i can send it to you and you can send yours back for repair if things don't work out in the next 24 to 48 hours.
regards,
bart

Hey Bart,

Thanks so much! Let me see how things go between Thursday afternoon and Friday morning. I plan to have it flying Friday afternoon if all goes well. I finished up rewiring everything and got all back together. Just gotta drop the boards in and solder the motor leads to BL's.

Sorry for the delayed reply. Sprint network has been down all afternoon/evening and I am babysitting tonight while the wife is out.

I feel like the Bermuda triangle shifted over San Marcos the past couple days...

I'll call Friday to let you know how it goes. Shawn